Are you analytical and what do you determine as analytical?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 8:34 am

I'm always curious about my world and have been analytical is this an Aspie thing and does anyone else do this? (I know every Aspie is different) So I'm just curious. :-)

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 8:51 am

One of the distinguishing characteristics of aspergers is that it deprives us of that nice solid reassuring feeling that we know what's going on. Because - let's face it - much of the time we don't. Analysis is just a compensation for that deficiency.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 8:59 am

I don't know for sure if every Aspie is analytical. I go by what people tell me about myself and I've been told I overanalyze stuff and obsess too much, (this drives them crazy) but certain Aspies might be more kinetic and may not like to analyze or talk that much. They memorize motion and do things without thinking or talking.
I have this weird kinetic memory too. I can do things but I can't tell others how to do them. I have them memorized on a kinetic level but not a mental one. I do this with video games and phone numbers. If someone asks me what buttons to push on a controller I can't tell them, yet, when I play the game, I automatically know what to do without thinking.

UnusualSuspect
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Sep 2009, 9:04 am

I'm extremely analytical. In fact, that's probably my distinguishing characteristic. For me, that means getting into the subtleties of an argument or set of facts, sorting out the false or the useless from the true or usefull. Being able to do that on as many levels as possible also requires a good background in a subject, although there are areas where deep knowledge really isn't necessary.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 10:37 am

AS-nalytical topic

I am very visually analytical. I just have to stare things down and memorize them for later pondering. Like a computer picture folder in my brain. :D :D

I also reread print and dissect its meaning. If I cannot understand it, I write: not intelligible, and complain. :twisted:

A written analysis is very long. Instructors have complained. And the verbal ones... :lol:

I like a short story to be long, if possible. :D

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 11:17 am

I've been told that I'm extremely analytical. I think it stems from my need to understand things from the ground up. When I learn a new subject I try to understand it straight from its logical foundation. I don't memorize "facts" or form my opinions based on bits of conventional wisdom. I don't trust conventional wisdom at all. It baffles me how 99% of what people in the world believe is BS. I can only conclude that a very small percentage of the population actually bothers to think.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 11:33 am

How analytical would you like me to be about being analytical? :)

shomnec
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Sep 2009, 11:37 am

What peterd posted above fits my case to a "T." By nature I'm extremely intuitive, not at all analytical. However, I've found myself becoming extremely analytical since college in order to compensate for my lack of understanding of society, the world, people :-) I don't think I naturally have an analytical disposition, however, and trying to figure everything out is exhausting for me. I think the post above will help me appreciate my inner qualities and put things in perspective.

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 1:06 pm

fiddlerpianist wrote:
How analytical would you like me to be about being analytical? :)
:lmao:

NicksQuestions
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Sep 2009, 2:43 am

zeldapsychology wrote:
I'm always curious about my world and have been analytical is this an Aspie thing and does anyone else do this? (I know every Aspie is different) So I'm just curious. :-)

Here's me being analytical :)

I found interesting some research from the Autism Research Centre on Autism-Spectrum being analytical and a strong drive to systemize the world around them:
http://www.autismresearchcentre.com/res ... t.asp?id=2

polymathpoolplayer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Sep 2009, 3:35 am

Although I also teach music and feel it emotionally, on the other hand I am terribly analytical. I can spend hours crunching statistics and see trends that nobody else can, but mainly because I have a great imagination and sense that a certain mathematical relationship IS possible based on a theory, whereas others do not think it's possible, or the theory is not correct, or can't be quantified - and therefore would give up prematurely; but I doggedly pursue it to either discovery of truth or reject due to blind alley; and even with a short-term "failure" I continue on because I just KNOW I will find the correct relationship if I try hard enough and for a long enough time, and that without preconception the truth will out, whatever it might be.

Does that beat Joseph Conrad for the longest sentence in English? LOL.

polymathpoolplayer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Sep 2009, 3:37 am

marshall wrote:
I've been told that I'm extremely analytical. I think it stems from my need to understand things from the ground up. When I learn a new subject I try to understand it straight from its logical foundation. I don't memorize "facts" or form my opinions based on bits of conventional wisdom. I don't trust conventional wisdom at all. It baffles me how 99% of what people in the world believe is BS. I can only conclude that a very small percentage of the population actually bothers to think.

The truth is that only a small fraction CAN think.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2009, 4:43 am

I've often been accused of being too analytical (mostly by women). It's always a great relief to me when a woman is quite analytical herself....it makes me feel she won't judge me as inferior for thinking so hard. I don't get the same problem with men very much, they're usually more comfortable with it. I think it's a shame it has to be so gender-related.

It's as if I can either analyse a thing 100% or remain completely ignorant of it.....I can't just give it the "right amount" of thought, because I just don't know how to work out the boundaries between what I need to know and what I don't. It's a kind of compulsive thoroughness. I'm very mindful that I probably do it too much, and I like it when I manage to be intuitive, immediate, and succint. To that end, these days I often decide not to launch into a detailed analysis of a thing, and try to just trust my feelings. I've had some success, but overall I'd still be lost without my analytical tendencies. I certainly don't share it a lot.....most of my thinking is too long and detailed for anybody to want to take in.

UnusualSuspect
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Sep 2009, 10:32 am

polymathpoolplayer wrote:
Although I also teach music and feel it emotionally, on the other hand I am terribly analytical. I can spend hours crunching statistics and [snip]
Does that beat Joseph Conrad for the longest sentence in English? LOL.

Conrad wins. You cheated. Semi-colons disqualify you.

BelindatheNobody
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2009, 10:37 am

Sometimes I'm analytical. Sometimes too analytical.

But other times I'm just a muddled up mess of emotions and thoughts, and other such things.

Flavors of: Nobody. Slytherin. Autistic.

kingtut3
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Sep 2009, 10:40 am

I'm analytical.