Page 1 of 6 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

lithium73
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Sep 2009, 7:31 pm

Just curious as to others thoughts about what happens beyond death. I am not talking religion here. Been there done that. Do we 'sleep perchance to dream', float off amongst the clouds. Lurk around down here pestering children and relatives. Or are we just worm food. Your thoughts?

Twyll
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Sep 2009, 7:34 pm

When we die, we all go to the zoo..... :idea: :D

Oregon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Sep 2009, 7:58 pm

I had a bad motorcycle accident and was dead for a bit... and on the edge for over a month. It was kinda peaceful.. had flashes my past and maybe possibilities of my future. The last thing I remember before I was pulled back into my body and hit by a flood of pain is that I still wanted to experience life. I can't truly say if my experience was caused by drugs, swelling around the brain, lack of circulation, or if I had an afterlife experience. I just am glad to be alive.. it sure beats the alternative.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 10:30 pm

When you're dead your closest relative is a pork chop or a hamburger and your thoughts and dreams are the same as theirs.

LP0rc
Raven
Raven

09 Sep 2009, 11:34 pm

Death? Inconceivable! Thermodynamics demands I will exist to complete entropy, the universe and I are one and the same.

Even quantum mechanics just moves me to alternate dimensions. To even try to imagine a finite existence or see it portrayed make me the observer.

That which is recognized as self may perish, but no biggie. My probability has not collapsed, and even if it does in this universe, it will not in all.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the ends of the bell curve and all points in between. Death holds no more power over me than does life, and I fear both equally.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2009, 12:25 am

LP0rc wrote:
Death? Inconceivable! Thermodynamics demands I will exist to complete entropy, the universe and I are one and the same.

Even quantum mechanics just moves me to alternate dimensions. To even try to imagine a finite existence or see it portrayed make me the observer.

That which is recognized as self may perish, but no biggie. My probability has not collapsed, and even if it does in this universe, it will not in all.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the ends of the bell curve and all points in between. Death holds no more power over me than does life, and I fear both equally.

Sure. When pigs have wings.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2009, 9:09 am

a) I love that you have Sheldon Cooper as your avatar.

b) Why even bother with it? You don't know till you're there and just from traveling to places and going out and going to parties, it's better if you just don't really think about it too much until you're there.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

lithium73
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Sep 2009, 9:14 am

Just something i think about fairly often. Along the lines of I would like to (in ghost form) just sit somewhere and watch a tree grow from a seed to full grown and then until it eventually dies and falls down. I imagine what it would be like having eternity to do things like that.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2009, 9:16 am

lithium73 wrote:
Just something i think about fairly often. Along the lines of I would like to (in ghost form) just sit somewhere and watch a tree grow from a seed to full grown and then until it eventually die and fall down. I imagine what it would be like having eternity to do things like that.

Sounds like you're spending your time wishing you had more time. Seems a little self-defeating.

I wish I had an eternity too...there's too much to know and to learn about and to experience and mortality really puts a hamper on what you can experience and still be able to do other stuff.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2009, 9:24 am

skafather84 wrote:
lithium73 wrote:
Just something i think about fairly often. Along the lines of I would like to (in ghost form) just sit somewhere and watch a tree grow from a seed to full grown and then until it eventually die and fall down. I imagine what it would be like having eternity to do things like that.

Sounds like you're spending your time wishing you had more time. Seems a little self-defeating.

I wish I had an eternity too...there's too much to know and to learn about and to experience and mortality really puts a hamper on what you can experience and still be able to do other stuff.

I usually put my soiled laundry in a hamper. Never found any useful experience there.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2009, 9:28 am

Sand wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
lithium73 wrote:

I usually put my soiled laundry in a hamper. Never found any useful experience there.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ ... ref&ch=dic

:P

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2009, 10:13 am

LP0rc wrote:

Have you forgotten to take your meds again?

ruveyn

b9
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2009, 10:20 am

i have thought a bit about it and i think that death is like a permanent "anesthetic".

when i go to sleep, time seems to go by rapidly, but it does not go by instantaneously.
when i had a 5 hour operation on my inner ear once, the general anesthetic was like my concept of death. that 5 hours passed in an instant. i started counting down from 100 and got to 93 and then i woke up and it was all over.

that was a period of non consciousness similar to what i think death would be like.

but if that anesthetic was a fatal dose and i died, then the entire span of all time would happen in an instant relative to my non existent "perception" of my non existence.

how can a forever of "not being" be spent in an instant?

before i was conceived, i was non existent. i was as dead as any one that ever died.

forever in the past before i was introduced to my "life", i had no experience of duration.
i was non existent forever in the past and i did not experience anything including duration for all infinity.

after i die. i will again be non existent forever. but i do not think i will experience any duration until i am conceived again into another living consciousness.

i can not imagine the nothingness of death multiplied by the abundance of infinite external duration.

sorry if my post is hard to understand.

"sorry seems to be the easiest word."

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2009, 11:03 am

skafather84 wrote:
Sand wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
lithium73 wrote:

Just kidding, but hamper as a verb means to hinder. You don't "put a hinder" on anything, you hinder it.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2009, 11:58 am

Sand wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Sand wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
lithium73 wrote:

Just kidding, but hamper as a verb means to hinder. You don't "put a hinder" on anything, you hinder it.

Might be a dialect thing that I picked up somewhere.

I know here in New Orleans, we make groceries. It comes from the French influence.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2009, 12:42 pm

LP0rc wrote:
I am the Alpha and the Omega
Okaaaaay... let us know how that works out for You. :lol: