Page 1 of 11 [ 173 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2009, 4:27 pm

Just for fun especially those of us on PPR that do not emanate from the good ol U S of A please enjoy

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ3RrqBqk14&feature=related[/youtube]

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2009, 5:05 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
especially those of us on PPR that do not emanate from the good ol U S of A

You say that like we have a choice.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2009, 5:12 pm

Not that I agree with what the good ole U S of A has done, but I'm getting a little sick and tired of some of us who happen to live there.

Not as bad on here but seems to happen to me quite a bit on other forums. Don't get me wrong, I agree our government stinks and I don't mind our country being made fun of. It does bother me however with this mentality of "us" vs "them". One of the reasons why I don't put my locations down if I get a choice.

Meh...screw it.... I'm going to go live in Ireland or New Zealand, seems like I've made more friends there long distance....

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2009, 5:41 pm

So Dent, do you understand now why democracy is a bad idea?

Fayed
Toucan
Toucan

10 Sep 2009, 6:07 pm

I am an American Citizen and knew all the answers to those questions. I also knew most of the nations ( or at least the general area) I also know that NK isn't Australia. Must of pick some real winners to interview.

That being said IMO the US deserves a lot of the flac it gets. Although some if it is just down right mean.

scorpileo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2009, 6:15 pm

USA bashing is this somekind of nation pinayta

any way.. i dislike it's govemnet but then i dislike my goverment.. oh whait that's because it's so far up the USA backside it will soon see daylight

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2009, 6:22 pm

LOL, I found a comeback to those who don't happen to live in the USA.... :P

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_mkwB9ayK4[/youtube]

Oregon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Sep 2009, 8:14 pm

The thing is... American's can laugh at themselves. Bash away, we all need a good laugh. I'm only offended when people get in my face and start to endlessly rant..

Yes the U.S. has it's issues, but so does every place else.

zena4
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2009, 8:37 pm

I confirm.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2009, 8:43 pm

One of the things quite annoying about the USA is that although it claims to be a democracy it's actually a hypocrisy.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2009, 9:42 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
LOL, I found a comeback to those who don't happen to live in the USA.... :P

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_mkwB9ayK4[/youtube]

Excellent :lol:

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2009, 9:51 pm

Orwell wrote:

Nope, I just see the need for far better education, and a more diverse and critical media

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2009, 9:57 pm

scorpileo wrote:
USA bashing is this somekind of nation pinayta

any way.. i dislike it's govemnet but then i dislike my goverment.. oh whait that's because it's so far up the USA backside it will soon see daylight

hi-5!

one must be thorough, i make sure to trash talk pretty much all countries.

except china. i LIKE china! 8)

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2009, 10:01 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
Orwell wrote:

Nope, I just see the need for far better education, and a more diverse and critical media

If it makes you feel any better about humanity, those clips aren't really representative. They would have gone around interviewing people for hours, perhaps over the course of several days, and picked out the stupidest nine minutes of footage to make it appear that typical Americans are morons. And they are, but not to the extent portrayed in that Youtube video.

Education often fails. Some people- a lot of people, actually- are just plain incapable of developing and maintaining a sizable base of general knowledge. Nor do they generally need to do so. There is little reason why an American needs to care who the leader of Britain, Australia, Canada, or Russia is. Most Americans find no pressing urgency in their daily lives to be well-versed in geography and know the details of an obscure and irrelevant country like Kyrgystan. The typical American never has any use for such information, so the cost of obtaining it is not justified. So why rag on people for not knowing these things? Quick, Dent, what's the atomic mass of Curium? What's Kepler's Second Law of Planetary Motion? What Latin American country is a leading exporter of rubber? Don't know the answer to any of these questions (without using Google or Wikipedia)? Probably not, and it doesn't matter because you would have no use for such knowledge. It would just be meaningless clutter.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2009, 10:10 pm

Orwell wrote:

Education often fails. Some people- a lot of people, actually- are just plain incapable of developing and maintaining a sizable base of general knowledge. Nor do they generally need to do so. There is little reason why an American needs to care who the leader of Britain, Australia, Canada, or Russia is. Most Americans find no pressing urgency in their daily lives to be well-versed in geography and know the details of an obscure and irrelevant country like Kyrgystan. The typical American never has any use for such information, so the cost of obtaining it is not justified. So why rag on people for not knowing these things? Quick, Dent, what's the atomic mass of Curium? What's Kepler's Second Law of Planetary Motion? What Latin American country is a leading exporter of rubber? Don't know the answer to any of these questions (without using Google or Wikipedia)? Probably not, and it doesn't matter because you would have no use for such knowledge. It would just be meaningless clutter.

Yes yes I know all that, I just found it funny the same way I found the one set in the UK funny. I suppose the issue most people have with the US is there world view, IE they give the impression of wanting to be the worlds police force and yet seem to have absolutely no knowledge or basic understanding of the world around them. Being thrown a question with a camera stuck in your face eg "name a country begining with the letter U" is not as simple as it sounds and I can see why people would draw a blank, however agreeing that the US should invade a country that you have never heard of because a stranger tells you that your president says it is necessary is a different matter entirely.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2009, 10:15 pm

Orwell wrote:

I'd dare to say that there needs to be more democracy in media. The media simply picks what it gives to people for the most part. At least in the places where it counts: music and news.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson