Page 11 of 11 [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 5:00 pm

Sand wrote:
Like the old father of a friend of mine here in Helsinki, my old America seems to be descending into some national version of Alzheimer's syndrome with frenzied cruelties tearing the country apart and I miss my old illusions.

American seems to have gone from its infancy to its decadence without ever having become civilized in between. It is really a shame. So much energy and talent led astray.

ruveyn

Silvervarg
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 6:21 pm

richardbenson wrote:
i like this country, i dont love it. that is to say, loving an ideology just isnt my thing. but hey we do have the best food here and thats all that really matters :wink:

I hope to god that you are not talking about America or that you are joking.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 6:51 pm

Silvervarg wrote:
richardbenson wrote:
i like this country, i dont love it. that is to say, loving an ideology just isnt my thing. but hey we do have the best food here and thats all that really matters :wink:

Why? Its a country where you can eat cuisine from all over the world.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 7:24 pm

Silvervarg wrote:
richardbenson wrote:

We do have very good food here, most of which came from somewhere else. People of many nations have come to these shores and brought their cook books with them.

ruveyn

number5
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 8:36 pm

Fuzzy wrote:
Silvervarg wrote:
richardbenson wrote:

Why? Its a country where you can eat cuisine from all over the world.

Do fried twinkies count as cuisine? :lol:

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2009, 1:47 am

Silvervarg wrote:
richardbenson wrote:

Haha, I hope you're not saying that the Swedish cuisine is any better. Thankfully you can eat food from all over the world here, too. :wink:

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2009, 2:02 am

Henriksson wrote:
Silvervarg wrote:
richardbenson wrote:

Haha, I hope you're not saying that the Swedish cuisine is any better. Thankfully you can eat food from all over the world here, too. :wink:

Since the USA is a mosaic country composed of refugees from many areas and the first commercial novelty they could offer was their food it is only natural the country developed early on as a place that produced a great variety of dishes derived from many places. When I first arrived in Finland in the early 1960's there were only two Chinese restaurants in Helsinki. Today there are many restaurants offering a great many varieties of ethnic food and I suspect it is the ease of modern transportation that has made
variety of food a generality throughout the developed world.

Silvervarg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2009, 2:16 am

Henriksson wrote:
Silvervarg wrote:
richardbenson wrote:

I do, mainly because we are lacking the cheap fast food. (No, we don't lack fast food, but we lack the cheap fast food.) It's a lot more expencive to eat prepared food than to cook it for youself. My daily lunch cost me about 5-6$/week (and I eat alot). Eating at a fast food resturant will cost you atleast 7$/day.
(Blodpudding med lingonsylt klår all annan mat Henriksson, våga inte påstå något annat. :D)

As you can see, I don't value good food as only things with nice taste. ;)

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2009, 2:31 am

Silvervarg wrote:
Henriksson wrote:
Silvervarg wrote:
richardbenson wrote:

I do, mainly because we are lacking the cheap fast food. (No, we don't lack fast food, but we lack the cheap fast food.) It's a lot more expencive to eat prepared food than to cook it for youself. My daily lunch cost me about 5-6$/week (and I eat alot). Eating at a fast food resturant will cost you atleast 7$/day.
(Blodpudding med lingonsylt klår all annan mat Henriksson, våga inte påstå något annat. :D)

This wanders quite a bit off topic but it seems to me very strange that kids are educated to do advanced algebra and all sort of stuff they never use and much of the basics of living are pretty much neglected. Raw foodstuffs such as potatoes and other fresh vegetables, rice, and pasta and fresh fruit and flour and eggs and so forth are not all that expensive and a decent meal can be put together in a matter of 15 to 25 minutes with very little skill. I do my own cooking and baking and with a small freezer can make enough for three days in one go at very small cost and eat one portion and freeze the other two and it's much better and tastier than the pre-prepared frozen stuff that is so expensive. There is a basic lack of educating for simple living.

Silvervarg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2009, 3:46 am

Sand wrote:
Silvervarg wrote:
Henriksson wrote:
Silvervarg wrote:
richardbenson wrote:

This wanders quite a bit off topic but it seems to me very strange that kids are educated to do advanced algebra and all sort of stuff they never use and much of the basics of living are pretty much neglected. Raw foodstuffs such as potatoes and other fresh vegetables, rice, and pasta and fresh fruit and flour and eggs and so forth are not all that expensive and a decent meal can be put together in a matter of 15 to 25 minutes with very little skill. I do my own cooking and baking and with a small freezer can make enough for three days in one go at very small cost and eat one portion and freeze the other two and it's much better and tastier than the pre-prepared frozen stuff that is so expensive. There is a basic lack of educating for simple living.

The problem is that people don't know how to cook anymore. They have a fobia for all kind of kitchen equipment.
Hey, on my school they had both theoretic home economics and handicraft (thankfully not whilst I was there, at that point it was still practical). Due to budjet cuts they couldn't afford the basics to the classes, but anyway. Kids don't do it at home, and they don't do it at school, where are they supposed to learn?

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2009, 3:57 am

I know what Sand means.

Mom and Dad made sure we each learned 3 basic skills from them. Things we might not learn in school, but which are - at times - critical to life. Mom taught my siblings and I how to cook, sew, and wash whatever was dirty. Dad made sure we could all change a tire, boost a car battery and check and change the vehicle fluids. Of course they taught us other things too, but in a pinch, these six things go a long way to making life easier.

About the only thing I sew(and infrequently at that) is re-fastening buttons to clothes. I cook a fair amount and even bake occasionally. Washing is generally just clothing and bedding. The vehicle skills come in handy more often.

The point is, why CANT anyone know all these things?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2009, 7:57 am

Silvervarg wrote:
The problem is that people don't know how to cook anymore. They have a fobia for all kind of kitchen equipment.
Hey, on my school they had both theoretic home economics and handicraft (thankfully not whilst I was there, at that point it was still practical). Due to budjet cuts they couldn't afford the basics to the classes, but anyway. Kids don't do it at home, and they don't do it at school, where are they supposed to learn?

Anyone can boil an egg or pasta, unless they live in Denver.

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2009, 10:10 am

ruveyn wrote:
Silvervarg wrote:

Anyone can boil an egg or pasta, unless they live in Denver.

ruveyn

Anyone can boil an egg, bake a chocolate cake, make a tomato based spaghetti sauce, ride a bicycle, fly a light plane, make scrambled eggs, drive a car, write a sonnet, roller skate, make waffles, sew on a button, braze a joint with an oxy-acetylene torch, make a silver or gold ring, plaster a wall, paint a picture and so forth. They are all easy. I know because I have done them but the point is, does anybody do all this? And why not?