Snowy Owl

11 Sep 2009, 6:51 am

2006 levitating frog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-xw_fmB ... L&index=29

drowbot0181
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2009, 8:30 am

I read that yesterday...that's pretty cool! The mice didn't seem to like it though. lol I would think it would be a bit weird feeling, maybe even painful, if they could it the same way with humans. Being held up by the water in your own body...hrmm

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2009, 9:01 am

I see a problem with this methodology. What about physical conditions that can be caused by exposure to the strong magnetic fields? I do not see a clean bright line between the effects of the levitating magnetic fields and the conditions of gravitational free fall.

ruveyn

drowbot0181
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2009, 9:25 am

ruveyn wrote:
I see a problem with this methodology. What about physical conditions that can be caused by exposure to the strong magnetic fields? I do not see a clean bright line between the effects of the levitating magnetic fields and the conditions of gravitational free fall.

ruveyn

I don't think the fields are harmful. People stick their heads in MRI machines every day. Did it say how powerful the magnetic fields are? I don't think it did, but I might have missed it. There could be some effect from long term exposure, maybe. But that is what the mice are for. :P

kc8ufv
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2009, 11:57 am

ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

Gravitational freefall in itself has no ill effects, the problems astronauts face are due to lack of exercise from not having resistance to their movements. Strong magnetic fields, on the other hand, can have some effects, as they will induce current into conductive materials. Whether these induced currents are strong enough to have an adverse effect or not may vary by individual...