tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

ForsakenEagle
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Sep 2009, 1:34 am

Typical.

Same thing happened with the Harry Potter books.

I also once heard a lady trying to get Something Wicked This Way Comes banned from my high school because she forbids kids to read anything "wicked." Has she even read the book? Has she ever heard "don't judge a book by its cover" before? Some people need to get a life, or maybe read a nice book. :)

GreenGrrl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Sep 2009, 2:46 am

But should primary school kids really be reading those books, anyway?

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2009, 6:05 am

I have read the Twilight series. I don't think it's suitable for anyone under the age of 14. There are sexual scenes in the book. I do think that if I had children that I would tell them that the book is too old for them (if they were under 14). It's good that they were taken out of the junior section, it doesn't say that they are not in the older section.

The Harry Potter series is a totally different issue. The closest that this series gets to sex is kissing, which I think that all logical people can agree that most children have already seen someone kiss someone else, so can read about it. There is death and murder in the Harry Potter series, if the child watches the news, then logically they should be allowed read Harry Potter.

I vaguely remember a 'something wicked' series, if it's the one I remember, it's quite innocent. There is no issues that would require a chat after reading the series.

ForsakenEagle, High school is at a different level than primary school. Primary schools are the first school, they are for young children, not teenagers.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2009, 6:17 am

I might be able to understand where they're coming from if they hadn't tried to hide behind the excuse of "religious beliefs". :roll:

I'm against censorship, but there are some things young children shouldn't be allowed to read. However, I've not read Twilight so I don't know if these people's concerns are justified or not.

y es como un semestre"

scorpileo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2009, 6:38 am

:lmao: realy i find this ludlocriss

all this polictical health and safty corectness has gone to far.

Dark_Red_Beloved
Toucan
Toucan

12 Sep 2009, 10:00 am

*head desk*

Yes, the twillight books do contain some sexually charged situations--but the people who want to censor them are missing the point entirely.Children are curious about relationships and sexuality,physically maturing much more quickly than in years past, and often are able to understand far more than they have the capacity to express.We do them a grave disservice by sanitizing their world.

GreatCeleryStalk
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2009, 10:06 am

Well... they are pretty crappy books.

Still no excuse for banning them

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2009, 10:14 am

Yes we must stop the kids from reading about sparkly vampires that only hunt deer. :roll: Quick get the kid a video game were he can kill hookers. Give me a break do they only have sex after they are married in that book? I'm not sure I haven't read them just saw the movie with a rabit fan girl who before we sat down told me about all four of the books. 8O Other then thinking the whole time that this movie would be way better if I was a 13 yr old girl I didn't see anything offenive they didn't even kiss until the very end after they had repetly told each other how much they loved each other. :roll: To put this in prospective I'm 32 yrs old and when I was in Jr. high we had girls with babies and kids having sex in the bathrooms while the teachers smoked pot in the courtyard. Baning books isn't going to stop kids from having sex or doing drugs good parents and teachers who pay attention to whats going on around them will.

Myrridias
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Sep 2009, 10:15 am

Well, if they get enough support to actually carry the ban through, good for them. I for one don't think it would mattar kids reading them or not, heathen is heathen, but kudos to the parents, now that's parenting.

Besides, they're craptastic 'books'. They shouldn't be allowed in schools simply because of the lowering of IQ attached to them.

Dark_Red_Beloved
Toucan
Toucan

12 Sep 2009, 10:29 am

Myrridias wrote:
I for one don't think it would mattar kids reading them or not, heathen is heathen

but what does heathen mean?

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2009, 10:35 am

hea⋅then  /ˈhiðən/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [hee-thuhn] Show IPA noun, plural -thens, -then, adjective
Use heathen in a Sentence
See web results for heathen
See images of heathen
–noun 1. an unconverted individual of a people that do not acknowledge the God of the Bible; a person who is neither a Jew, Christian, nor Muslim; pagan.
2. an irreligious, uncultured, or uncivilized person.

–adjective 3. of or pertaining to heathens; pagan.
4. irreligious, uncultured, or uncivilized.
Not sure if this was what your looking for but I thought I'd just toss it up.

Dark_Red_Beloved
Toucan
Toucan

12 Sep 2009, 10:43 am

CRD wrote:
hea⋅then  /ˈhiðən/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [hee-thuhn] Show IPA noun, plural -thens, -then, adjective
Use heathen in a Sentence
See web results for heathen
See images of heathen
–noun 1. an unconverted individual of a people that do not acknowledge the God of the Bible; a person who is neither a Jew, Christian, nor Muslim; pagan.
2. an irreligious, uncultured, or uncivilized person.

–adjective 3. of or pertaining to heathens; pagan.
4. irreligious, uncultured, or uncivilized.
Not sure if this was what your looking for but I thought I'd just toss it up.

*shrugs* I sometimes I ask questions to get an idea of how other people see the world,what they think about something--but thank you. Knowing people won't point and laugh at my tendency to think literally is what only one of many things I love about this place!

:D

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2009, 12:49 pm

This is great news!

I wouldn't want any child, well, anyone for that matter to be exposed to those books. They're terrible and offer nothing but bad ideas for teenage girls.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2009, 2:29 pm

unlike Pagan, which in Latin means ('rednecks')...;)

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2009, 4:07 pm

Dark_Red_Beloved wrote:
Children are curious about relationships and sexuality,physically maturing much more quickly than in years past, and often are able to understand far more than they have the capacity to express.

I might agree with this, but the Twilight books are not about any healthy relationships, and they don't express disapproval about those either. It's essentially a giant love story between a stalker and obsessed girl who will do absolutely anything for said stalker. Both of them, if I understand correctly (I got about two paragraphs in and my brain staged a rebellion), attempt to/seriously consider suicide when the other breaks up with them. There's nothing in the books that indicates that it's unhealthy either - it's supposed to be romantic and ideal. That's nonsense. These kids might be old enough to realize that the whole thing is fiction and fantasy, but they're still impressionable about other aspects, including the relationship dynamic when it's presented in such a way.

Three years!