Page 4 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2016, 1:31 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
Thanks! It's really interesting to see it described by a non-native speaker, as that is a way I am unable to see it. I'm sorry I can't return the favor; I've heard English on TV since I was 6, and I don't remember having any particular reaction to it.

the only Norwegian person I've ever heard speak at major length was the late great Victor Borge and I noted his accent [while speaking American-style English] was extremely mild to where you couldn't tell what country he came from just by listening. my ears hear Nordic tongues speaking and they sound more alike than different, in terms of an inherent musical lilt I hear in them all. :dj: and the thing about American English is that you can divide it into regions without too much distortion- northwest, southwest, deep south, southeast, northeast, Midwest, mid-Atlantic, each with their own sound, examples being: northwest=bill gates; southwest=paris Hilton; deep south=ross perot; southeast=ted turner; northeast=chris Christie; Midwest=tom brokaw; mid-Atlantic=Stephanie rawlings-blake [native born mayor of Baltimore].