The stupidest thing you've heard about religion/politics?

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2009, 12:05 pm

What's the stupidest thing you've ever heard someone say while discussing religion, politics, etc?

Once at school, me and my friend Jack were in the library, and this Christian boy comes over and says we're both going to hell because we're atheists. As he was ranting at us, we started to get the impression that this boy doesn't even know much about the faith he claims to follow. So we waited for him to run out of steam, and then Jack says to him, "Name one book of the Bible." And he looks at us blankly for a second and replies, "I'm not that religious! I just believe in God and celebrate Christmas!" :roll: :lol:

y es como un semestre"

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2009, 12:16 pm

gina-ghettoprincess wrote:
What's the stupidest thing you've ever heard someone say while discussing religion, politics, etc?

Once at school, me and my friend Jack were in the library, and this Christian boy comes over and says we're both going to hell because we're atheists. As he was ranting at us, we started to get the impression that this boy doesn't even know much about the faith he claims to follow. So we waited for him to run out of steam, and then Jack says to him, "Name one book of the Bible." And he looks at us blankly for a second and replies, "I'm not that religious! I just believe in God and celebrate Christmas!" :roll: :lol:

A good many religious people do not think deeply about much religious dogma but are merely afraid to think for themselves. Religion simply does not make sense so there must be some other reason that people believe in it. Until you discover what that other reason is there is no sense arguing logic. Logic doesn't enter into it.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2009, 2:11 pm

George Bush.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2009, 2:14 pm

I can't give an example of the single stupidest thing I've heard regarding politics and religion. Competition would be very stiff.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2009, 2:32 pm

Orwell wrote:
I can't give an example of the single stupidest thing I've heard regarding politics and religion. Competition would be very stiff.

Indeed, the two topics seem to attract stupid remarks like a moth to a flame.

y es como un semestre"

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2009, 2:41 pm

Sand wrote:

A good many religious people do not think deeply about much religious dogma but are merely afraid to think for themselves. Religion simply does not make sense so there must be some other reason that people believe in it. Until you discover what that other reason is there is no sense arguing logic. Logic doesn't enter into it.

Exactly. In the case of the boy I mentioned in the OP, the reason appears to be that he was just brought up that way and never bothered to question it, or even to learn anything more than the most basic facts about the belief system he was defending so enthusiastically.

y es como un semestre"

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

14 Sep 2009, 2:48 pm

That's tough. The 9/11 "truthers" or the Obama "birthers" are pretty bad just by their persistence of believing something that have been so thoroughly debunked. Enduring dumbness.

As for one statement, I remember my aunt saying something in the years after 9/11 about how she thought we should nuke the whole middle east/kill them all and quite seriously I might add. Which probably wasn't that uncommon to say but my aunt is a very educated teacher and huge liberal democrat. Stark contrast to how she feels now on the war and Bush.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2009, 3:10 pm

Well, what is stupid in religion/politics would be a position towards another religious or political position, and given that everything in those areas are subjected to opinion, so it would be the notion of what is stupid or stupidest or whatever, and well, terms such as "stupid", "stupidest", "idiotic", etc that are used in counterarguments are very subjective in nature.

Exactly. In the case of the boy I mentioned in the OP, the reason appears to be that he was just brought up that way and never bothered to question it, or even to learn anything more than the most basic facts about the belief system he was defending so enthusiastically.

well, the issue is that happens with everything and not only with religious beliefs, yes, he had that general knowledge of the idea of hell, but didn't have knowledge of other stuff, but many people would be in that position when they defend their views.

Also, asking for a book or books in the Bible doesn't seem much of a counterargument (other than feeling annoyed by that and just want him to shutup), and well, anyone can play that very same thing on you, and if you fail as he did, they could very well dismiss your ideas just because you couldn't respond other questions that would be irrelevant to the exact issue, and I pretty much can say that that could lead you to frustration for not being heard.

What I'm saying is that doesn't look like a valid justification as anyone can fall into that, no matter the view they would hold.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2009, 3:41 pm

greenblue wrote:
Also, asking for a book or books in the Bible doesn't seem much of a counterargument (other than feeling annoyed by that and just want him to shutup), and well, anyone can play that very same thing on you, and if you fail as he did, they could very well dismiss your ideas just because you couldn't respond other questions that would be irrelevant to the exact issue, and I pretty much can say that that could lead you to frustration for not being heard.

What I'm saying is that doesn't look like a valid justification as anyone can fall into that, no matter the view they would hold.

Well, given that an argument wasn't given, the question seems valid as most would suppose that some basic knowledge of the idea promoted is needed. It was never asserted that in-depth knowledge was necessary though.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2009, 4:34 pm

Nixon: When the President does it, that means it isn't Illegal.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejvyDn1TPr8[/youtube]

:roll:

Bush Declares War on Iraq...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkOCIfNQXP0[/youtube]

Bush "apologizes" about Iraq....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-pdQcGHSAc[/youtube]

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2009, 2:26 am

Certainly not the most stupid, but certainly somewhere out there. :lol:

Quote:
I am not part of the problem. I am a Republican.
Dan Quayle
I have made good judgements in the Past. I have made good judgements in the Future.
Dan Quayle
People that are really very weird can get into sensitive positions and have a tremendous impact on history.
Dan Quayle
Republicans understand the importance of bondage between a mother and child.
Dan Quayle
The American people would not want to know of any misquotes that Dan Quayle may or may not make.
Dan Quayle
- More quotations on: [Quotations]
The future will be better tomorrow.
Dan Quayle
- More quotations on: [The Future]
We don't want to go back to tomorrow, we want to go forward.
Dan Quayle
We have a firm commitment to NATO, we are a *part* of NATO. We have a firm commitment to Europe. We are a *part* of Europe.
Dan Quayle
We're all capable of mistakes, but I do not care to enlighten you on the mistakes we may or may not have made.
Dan Quayle
- More quotations on: [Mistakes]
Welcome to President Bush, Mrs. Bush, and my fellow astronauts.
Dan Quayle
What a waste it is to lose one's mind. Or not to have a mind is being very wasteful. How true that is.
Dan Quayle
When I have been asked during these last weeks who caused the riots and the killing in L.A., my answer has been direct and simple: Who is to blame for the riots? The rioters are to blame. Who is to blame for the killings? The killers are to blame.
Dan Quayle
[It's] time for the human race to enter the solar system.
Dan Quayle
Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things.
Dan Quayle, 11/30/88
One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.
Dan Quayle, 12/6/89
Illegitimacy is something we should talk about in terms of not having it.
Dan Quayle, 5/20/92 (reported in Esquire, 8/92)
I believe we are on an irreversible trend toward more freedom and democracy - but that could change.
Dan Quayle, 5/22/89
Mars is essentially in the same orbit... Mars is somewhat the same distance from the Sun, which is very important. We have seen pictures where there are canals, we believe, and water. If there is water, that means there is oxygen. If oxygen, that means we can breathe.
Dan Quayle, 8/11/89
Murphy Brown is doing better than I am. At least she knows she still has a job next year.
Dan Quayle, 8/18/92
The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. I mean in this century's history. But we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century.
Dan Quayle, 9/15/88
Quite frankly, teachers are the only profession that teach our children.
Dan Quayle, 9/18/90
We're going to have the best-educated American people in the world.
Dan Quayle, 9/21/88
We are ready for any unforeseen event that may or may not occur.
Dan Quayle, 9/22/90
For NASA, space is still a high priority.
Dan Quayle, 9/5/90
Public speaking is very easy.
Dan Quayle, to reporters in 10/88
I stand by all the misstatements that I've made.
Dan Quayle, to Sam Donaldson, 8/17/89

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2009, 4:41 am

Jacoby wrote:
That's tough. The 9/11 "truthers" or the Obama "birthers" are pretty bad just by their persistence of believing something that have been so thoroughly debunked. Enduring dumbness.

As for one statement, I remember my aunt saying something in the years after 9/11 about how she thought we should nuke the whole middle east/kill them all and quite seriously I might add. Which probably wasn't that uncommon to say but my aunt is a very educated teacher and huge liberal democrat. Stark contrast to how she feels now on the war and Bush.

I've heard people say that as well.

y es como un semestre"

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2009, 4:56 am

MissConstrue wrote:
Nixon: When the President does it, that means it isn't Illegal.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejvyDn1TPr8[/youtube]

Bush Declares War on Iraq...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkOCIfNQXP0[/youtube]

Bush "apologizes" about Iraq....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-pdQcGHSAc[/youtube]

Henriksson wrote:
Certainly not the most stupid, but certainly somewhere out there.

Quote:
I am not part of the problem. I am a Republican.
Dan Quayle
I have made good judgements in the Past. I have made good judgements in the Future.
Dan Quayle
People that are really very weird can get into sensitive positions and have a tremendous impact on history.
Dan Quayle
Republicans understand the importance of bondage between a mother and child.
Dan Quayle
The American people would not want to know of any misquotes that Dan Quayle may or may not make.
Dan Quayle
- More quotations on: [Quotations]
The future will be better tomorrow.
Dan Quayle
- More quotations on: [The Future]
We don't want to go back to tomorrow, we want to go forward.
Dan Quayle
We have a firm commitment to NATO, we are a *part* of NATO. We have a firm commitment to Europe. We are a *part* of Europe.
Dan Quayle
We're all capable of mistakes, but I do not care to enlighten you on the mistakes we may or may not have made.
Dan Quayle
- More quotations on: [Mistakes]
Welcome to President Bush, Mrs. Bush, and my fellow astronauts.
Dan Quayle
What a waste it is to lose one's mind. Or not to have a mind is being very wasteful. How true that is.
Dan Quayle
When I have been asked during these last weeks who caused the riots and the killing in L.A., my answer has been direct and simple: Who is to blame for the riots? The rioters are to blame. Who is to blame for the killings? The killers are to blame.
Dan Quayle
[It's] time for the human race to enter the solar system.
Dan Quayle
Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things.
Dan Quayle, 11/30/88
One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.
Dan Quayle, 12/6/89
Illegitimacy is something we should talk about in terms of not having it.
Dan Quayle, 5/20/92 (reported in Esquire, 8/92)
I believe we are on an irreversible trend toward more freedom and democracy - but that could change.
Dan Quayle, 5/22/89
Mars is essentially in the same orbit... Mars is somewhat the same distance from the Sun, which is very important. We have seen pictures where there are canals, we believe, and water. If there is water, that means there is oxygen. If oxygen, that means we can breathe.
Dan Quayle, 8/11/89
Murphy Brown is doing better than I am. At least she knows she still has a job next year.
Dan Quayle, 8/18/92
The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. I mean in this century's history. But we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century.
Dan Quayle, 9/15/88
Quite frankly, teachers are the only profession that teach our children.
Dan Quayle, 9/18/90
We're going to have the best-educated American people in the world.
Dan Quayle, 9/21/88
We are ready for any unforeseen event that may or may not occur.
Dan Quayle, 9/22/90
For NASA, space is still a high priority.
Dan Quayle, 9/5/90
Public speaking is very easy.
Dan Quayle, to reporters in 10/88
I stand by all the misstatements that I've made.
Dan Quayle, to Sam Donaldson, 8/17/89

So much stupidity... *universe implodes from massive influx of stupidity* 8O :lol:

y es como un semestre"

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2009, 9:22 am

Jacoby wrote:

What happened at Pearl Harbor turned a lot of pacifists into patriots. I actually witnessed such things in person, since I was alive and aware at the time. For many, otherwise mild mannered Americans, the idea of wiping Japan and the Japanese people out of existence sat rather well. Fortunately Americans tend to be forgiving and after the war, the hostility went away in a relatively short time.

ruveyn

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2009, 9:25 am

ruveyn wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

What happened at Pearl Harbor turned a lot of pacifists into patriots. I actually witnessed such things in person, since I was alive and aware at the time. For many, otherwise mild mannered Americans, the idea of wiping Japan and the Japanese people out of existence sat rather well. Fortunately Americans tend to be forgiving and after the war, the hostility went away in a relatively short time.

ruveyn

You speak of pacifism and patriotism as though the two ideals are mutually exclusive.

y es como un semestre"

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2009, 10:43 am

ruveyn wrote:
I actually witnessed such things in person, since I was alive and aware at the time.

You were in Hawaii for Pearl Harbor? Did you race down to the docks to try and help?

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson