TIPS: I love my AS/NT relationship; I love my partner. :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Persephoneia
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Sep 2009, 1:59 pm

As I said in my first post, I'm a first-time poster, but long-time lurker. Hello, all. :)

I've noticed that this forum can be pretty negative at times, with so many people asking for advice on how to "fix" a problem with a significant other, lamenting their loneliness, or simply giving up. Now that I think of it, there are so many forums and blogs on the internet with many NT partners (like myself) boo-hooing over their less-than-desirable relationships with Aspies. However, I wanted to post a different message: I love my relationship, and I love my Aspie.

:heart:

Yes, things can be difficult at times, but most things that are worth having aren't easily obtained or maintained. Quite honestly, many--and dare I say "most"--relationships aren't easy. However, many NTs seem like they're trying to treat an Aspie partner as if they're sick, and find the magic formula or pill that would make everything better. "My AS partner is being a jerk; how do I fix it?" We're all human beings, we're all different, and require various approaches to various issues. There is no magic answer that will make everything better; however, there are universal tips I would give to anyone in a relationship:

1. Be patient.
2. Be kind.
3. Do your research.

Number three is the part many people miss, in my experience. I prefer to treat my partners like classes, although that sounds much more creepy than it actually is. ;) Generally speaking, if I want to pass a class, I do many things. I read my textbooks, I complete relevant problems to solidify my understanding of concepts, and I go to class. I "read" my partner by observing his behavior and asking questions. I find out what makes him happy, and what makes him sad. I figure out his likes, dislikes, and very obvious (haha) interests. One can never learn too much about a partner. Then, I do my "homework"--provide more of his "likes" in our relationship and activities, remove more of the "dislikes," and learn about and encourage his interests. Lastly, I show up to class! I don't run when it gets too tough, and I do as I say I will. However, it's perfectly fine to "drop the class" when your relationship truly won't work.

Patience and kindness may seem so simple, so obvious--but they're incredible essential in making a truly rewarding and loving relationship come into fruition.

SO!

---NT partners: Don't blame AS, but don't make excuses for your partners. It may take an incredible amount of empathy on your part at times, and occasionally you may do more work than you've ever had to. Learn to communicate your needs directly. Learn to think before you speak.

---Aspies who desire love: You, too, can be loved. There are people out there like myself who treasure Aspergian traits, and find it attractive. Don't lose hope!

:idea:

Sorry this was so lengthy, but I really felt the need to post it. If you have any questions/comments/etc., it's a forum. ;) Also, I don't claim to be an expert by any means, and am always open to better ideas and different perspectives.

Merle
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2009, 4:02 pm

How long have you two been together?

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2009, 5:39 pm

Persephoneia wrote:
---Aspies who desire love: You, too, can be loved. There are people out there like myself who treasure Aspergian traits, and find it attractive. Don't lose hope!

Are there any of those people like you in NJ? Because, uh, I don't see any of those types around...

Katidid24
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Sep 2009, 7:10 pm

Persephoneia wrote:
As I said in my first post, I'm a first-time poster, but long-time lurker. Hello, all. :)

I've noticed that this forum can be pretty negative at times, with so many people asking for advice on how to "fix" a problem with a significant other, lamenting their loneliness, or simply giving up. Now that I think of it, there are so many forums and blogs on the internet with many NT partners (like myself) boo-hooing over their less-than-desirable relationships with Aspies. However, I wanted to post a different message: I love my relationship, and I love my Aspie.

Yes, things can be difficult at times, but most things that are worth having aren't easily obtained or maintained. Quite honestly, many--and dare I say "most"--relationships aren't easy. However, many NTs seem like they're trying to treat an Aspie partner as if they're sick, and find the magic formula or pill that would make everything better. "My AS partner is being a jerk; how do I fix it?" We're all human beings, we're all different, and require various approaches to various issues. There is no magic answer that will make everything better; however, there are universal tips I would give to anyone in a relationship:

1. Be patient.
2. Be kind.
3. Do your research.

Number three is the part many people miss, in my experience. I prefer to treat my partners like classes, although that sounds much more creepy than it actually is. ;) Generally speaking, if I want to pass a class, I do many things. I read my textbooks, I complete relevant problems to solidify my understanding of concepts, and I go to class. I "read" my partner by observing his behavior and asking questions. I find out what makes him happy, and what makes him sad. I figure out his likes, dislikes, and very obvious (haha) interests. One can never learn too much about a partner. Then, I do my "homework"--provide more of his "likes" in our relationship and activities, remove more of the "dislikes," and learn about and encourage his interests. Lastly, I show up to class! I don't run when it gets too tough, and I do as I say I will. However, it's perfectly fine to "drop the class" when your relationship truly won't work.

Patience and kindness may seem so simple, so obvious--but they're incredible essential in making a truly rewarding and loving relationship come into fruition.

SO!

---NT partners: Don't blame AS, but don't make excuses for your partners. It may take an incredible amount of empathy on your part at times, and occasionally you may do more work than you've ever had to. Learn to communicate your needs directly. Learn to think before you speak.

Sorry this was so lengthy, but I really felt the need to post it. If you have any questions/comments/etc., it's a forum. ;) Also, I don't claim to be an expert by any means, and am always open to better ideas and different perspectives.

First off I just have to say I loved your post and am glad I came to it. I am an NT and my boyfriend of almost 4 years is an aspie,and I love him dearly. So by all means I agree with you 100% on your post. I was wondering though I posted this a couple of days ago and still haven't gotten a reply so maybe you could help me on this. Here it is:

The only problem I have found with him lately is that I give him all the time in the world. We live together so yea we do see eachother quite a bit but it seems like we have no privacy because we live with his brothers and parents. So i'm sure you guys can imagine the privacy level. I made a chart and everything and he still thinks it's unfair and thinks that I'm making rules for him when really i'm just trying to help him. He likes to play video games alot and I have no problem with that all i'm asking of him is that between school(we are both college students),work,and home that he spend 2-3 hours a day with me. I didn't think it was too hard to ask. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to deal with this? Also,one of his brothers I don't seem to get along with very well. He is also autistic but seems very shelterd when I talk to him,and I somehow get on his nerves but I don't know how because he dosen't want to talk to me about it,just his brother(my boyfriend)and he also tends to do the same to me but I don't like to talk to him about it because since he's an Aspie I'm afraid of hurting his feeling which really seem to do him in alot. So,any advice on how to deal with these situations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Again!

Merle
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2009, 7:58 pm

Quote:
all i'm asking of him is that between school(we are both college students),work,and home that he spend 2-3 hours a day with me.

Seriously? That's "clingy" in my book.

Quote:
Do you guys have any suggestions on how to deal with this?

Learn to share.

You're going to need to enter his world (video games), enticements (does he like things that you two can do together, that you don't like so much) or plain bribes (sex).

Quote:
I'm afraid of hurting his feeling which really seem to do him in alot.

Hurt his feelings, he probably won't notice and if he did, he'll get over it fast. If you see you are actually pissing him off a bunch, you're probably being too "clingy".

Quote:
So,any advice on how to deal with these situations would be greatly appreciated.

First, back off and give him space. Think of his space as the opportunity for him to cheat (you trust him, right?) but know that he just wants to do his own thing.

Second, find your own set of things to do. I don't know you but if you have 2-3 hours a day free, you may have too much free time on your own hands.

Third, you may be able to entice him by fun/cool/awesome things to do which you can invite him. His interest may be of high intensity, short term (e.g. new video games all the time?) which you may be able to capitalize on. If it's the opposite (e.g. he plays the same games over and over) then you entering his world will help give you the time.

CerebralDreamer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2009, 8:11 pm

Katidid24 wrote:
First off I just have to say I loved your post and am glad I came to it. I am an NT and my boyfriend of almost 4 years is an aspie,and I love him dearly. So by all means I agree with you 100% on your post. I was wondering though I posted this a couple of days ago and still haven't gotten a reply so maybe you could help me on this. Here it is:

The only problem I have found with him lately is that I give him all the time in the world. We live together so yea we do see eachother quite a bit but it seems like we have no privacy because we live with his brothers and parents. So i'm sure you guys can imagine the privacy level. I made a chart and everything and he still thinks it's unfair and thinks that I'm making rules for him when really i'm just trying to help him. He likes to play video games alot and I have no problem with that all i'm asking of him is that between school(we are both college students),work,and home that he spend 2-3 hours a day with me. I didn't think it was too hard to ask. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to deal with this? Also,one of his brothers I don't seem to get along with very well. He is also autistic but seems very shelterd when I talk to him,and I somehow get on his nerves but I don't know how because he dosen't want to talk to me about it,just his brother(my boyfriend)and he also tends to do the same to me but I don't like to talk to him about it because since he's an Aspie I'm afraid of hurting his feeling which really seem to do him in alot. So,any advice on how to deal with these situations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Again!

It's understandable what you want. The main thing is to find a situation where you can have that together. I'm not sure what the specifics of the situation are, but there should be ways to work around it. Truthfully, giving him a hug or kiss and letting him know that you need him may be the quickest route to getting some time together.

Last edited by CerebralDreamer on 01 Oct 2009, 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Katidid24
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Oct 2009, 12:59 am

Thanks so much for the advice, oh and merle it's his brother I was talking about getting pissed sometimes not him, and i'm not really clingy nor do I really talk to him that much he's just very tempermental.

Merle
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 1:23 am

Katidid24 wrote:
Thanks so much for the advice, oh and merle it's his brother I was talking about getting pissed sometimes not him, and i'm not really clingy nor do I really talk to him that much he's just very tempermental.

Heh. Just putting my $.02 out there -- maybe it's applicable, maybe not. Personally, having too much information is generally much better than having too little :)

PS. Like the avatar :)

Katidid24
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Oct 2009, 7:49 pm

No I defenitly appreciate your 2 cents so don't worry lol,and thanks,it's actually a bumper sticker I want for my next car!

Azharia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Oct 2009, 8:53 am

Just another positive view out there. :)

I'm 26, married for 2 years, and have been with my husband for a shocking (to me) 8 years. I love him to bits. I am aspie, and he is mostly NT(just a bit quirky.. ;) )

And we couldn't be happier. I might be a bit needy but it doesn't seem to bother him in the slightest. I don't know what I would do without him to be honest. :)

So relationships beteen aspie and nt can work quite nicely with no complaining too. :) With girly aspie and boy NT here..

LivingOutsideTheBox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Oct 2009, 2:18 pm

......WHOOYAH!

Oh, and beside that....

It's good to see the content majority being vocal :P

Yes, a bit of Nixon, but defused.

Bear in mind, this forum (AND ESPECIALLY THE SUBFORUM) is pretty much the only place in explored reality where people on the sprectrum can ask, and help fix, social questions, so the sheer volume should really not be suprising : )

I can write litanies about the friends I know who are content and happy....But I won't.
They're all walks of life, but they all seem in-tune with their partner.

Tine
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Oct 2009, 5:50 pm

Hi,
My husband(AS?) and I(NT) are both 31 and we've been together for little over 12 years now(married for 6 1/2). He is the most amazing person I know, a little rough around the edges, but amazing nonetheless. Never have I met someone so genuine and so at peace with himself. Many people throughout the years have made comments about how blunt he is or how he comes across as anti-social, and quite honestly there were a lot of times when I agreed with them. But as time went on I've come to envy that in him. He never carries negative baggage, if something bothers him he will let you know right then and there no matter how inappropriate or impolitically correct it may be and then he gets a good night sleep that night. He also never lets himself get talked into anything, he doesn't feel the need to impress or to live up any roles anyone might have envisioned for him. Those are things I still struggle with and I'm hoping that some of his traits will rub off on me. He has been there to show me that we don't all have to fit the mold to be happy.

He loves his family dearly and our boys know that their father will always be there 100% of the time doing everything he can to make them happy. Work all day, come home and take the boys tubing all evening then finish up whatever he needed to get done at night after they go to sleep. His heart lies with us and regardless of the clear differences in opinion we might have and different ways of reasoning things, for me, he could never be replaced. I won't pretend like we haven't had tough times throughout our whole relationship, but I think we're just more understanding and accepting of one another now. I feel safe knowing that our family and our relationship will always come first.

So in response to a previous comment on how people with AS need fixing, I say that maybe were the ones(NT) who need to reassess what's important in a partner. It's not whether someone will hold your hand in public, or what you received from them for your birthday that dictates whether their a worthy partner. Instead of focusing on what they might be doing "wrong" maybe we should focus on ourselves and the reasons why we need them to do these things for us. If you get to a place where your content with your self then your partners shortcomings will no longer be an issue. And that's where I am now... with my Aspie.:wink:

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2009, 7:03 pm

ToadOfSteel wrote:
Persephoneia wrote:

Are there any of those people like you in NJ? Because, uh, I don't see any of those types around...

Same for NC . . .

J-P
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Oct 2009, 9:50 pm

Persephoneia wrote:

1. Be patient.
2. Be kind.
3. Do your research.

SO!

i really hate NT normally but you're seem to be a really good person