Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

tlcoopi7
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Sep 2009, 2:03 am

I am currently a grad student studying college student affairs, which is basically, the stuff outside of class (student organizations, residence hall life, leadership development, fraternity/sorority life, disability support services, etc) and for one of my classes, I am going to do a research on disabilities and higher education, or if I could find enough sources (Wikipedia could not be one), I might focus it on specifically on autism and higher education.

For those that are in college, here are some tips:

* In order to request services, you must have official documentation that says that you are autistic. This documentation shows the disability support services office that you are indeed autistic and the document would have suggestions on succeeding in college life. If you self-diagnosis as autistic, you will not get services at all, they need documenation

* Good classroom accommodations to request: use of laptop in class, note taker, low distraction test environment, extended test time

*Residence Hall rooms: If the coordinator understands about autism, he or she would mention having a single room, because being autistic can be stressful at time and that one would need a private place to relax and calm down.

* Most importantly, this is a good time to tell others about autism

http://www.myspace.com/tlcoopi7 My MySpace Profile

http://www.facebook.com/tlcoopi7 My Facebook Profile

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2009, 10:09 am

tlcoopi7 wrote:
I am currently a grad student studying college student affairs, which is basically, the stuff outside of class (student organizations, residence hall life, leadership development, fraternity/sorority life, disability support services, etc) and for one of my classes, I am going to do a research on disabilities and higher education, or if I could find enough sources (Wikipedia could not be one), I might focus it on specifically on autism and higher education.

* In order to request services, you must have official documentation that says that you are autistic. This documentation shows the disability support services office that you are indeed autistic and the document would have suggestions on succeeding in college life. If you self-diagnosis as autistic, you will not get services at all, they need documenation

* Good classroom accommodations to request: use of laptop in class, note taker, low distraction test environment, extended test time

*Residence Hall rooms: If the coordinator understands about autism, he or she would mention having a single room, because being autistic can be stressful at time and that one would need a private place to relax and calm down.

Good tips, I requested about half those things myself. :) But my issue is I've gotten some neg. reactions to telling people I'm autistic in the past & some very positive ones. How do you know who it is "safe to tell" (as in those who won't freak out, avoid you like the plague, goad you, etc.)? I am joining some org.'s though. Unlike HS where I did almost nothing (like 3 activities over 4 yrs. rather than 2-3 now in one semester).

aspiemomm
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Sep 2009, 6:20 pm

tlcoopi7:

In your study of disability services, have you found that autistic students requesting a single room often GET the single room?
I wonder if colleges often cannot provide them, since many residence halls are limited or overcrowded these days.

Is this something we may have difficulty with when we request the single?

tlcoopi7
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Sep 2009, 10:49 pm

aspiemomm wrote:
tlcoopi7:

In your study of disability services, have you found that autistic students requesting a single room often GET the single room?
I wonder if colleges often cannot provide them, since many residence halls are limited or overcrowded these days.

Is this something we may have difficulty with when we request the single?

When I got the suggestion from my coordinator about getting the single room, he warned me that it might be next semester that a single room will be available. But guess what, the request was made on a Tuesday, they found one (in the same building, just down a floor) two days later, and the next day, I moved in.

During my undergrad years, I got the single because my roommate(s) moved out, so I went down to the hall clerk office and asked her, "My roommate moved out, can I turn my room into a single?"

The one thing that you would have to wait for is to see if one is available, but if you have the accommodation for a single, your wait would not be long.

tlcoopi7
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Sep 2009, 10:52 pm

Peko wrote:
tlcoopi7 wrote:

Good tips, I requested about half those things myself. :) But my issue is I've gotten some neg. reactions to telling people I'm autistic in the past & some very positive ones. How do you know who it is "safe to tell" (as in those who won't freak out, avoid you like the plague, goad you, etc.)? I am joining some org.'s though. Unlike HS where I did almost nothing (like 3 activities over 4 yrs. rather than 2-3 now in one semester).

Good people to tell:
Residence hall staff (especially the head staff and your RA/CA)
Disability Support services/instructors (especially if you are getting services)
Good friends

I would not tell everyone about it, but if is realivant, I would.

tlcoopi7
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Sep 2009, 9:14 am

Also some important things to consider:

Junior and senior years of undergrad, work gets harder (more papers, lots of readings, etc) which means:
* Time management (many colleges have workshops on time management)
* You will need help on occasion and it is ok to ask for it, even NTs will ask for help (just say, "I don't understand what you are trying to say, so can you explain it to me)
* Getting help when needed can determine a difference between a higher grade and a lower grade. True story: When I wrote my big history research paper, on the first copy, I got an F on it, but when I took it to the writing center to work on it and I resubmit it, I got a B on it. I got the help on the paper and with that help, a higher grade on the assignment.