PPR type topics in Random Discussion

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2009, 2:00 pm

I made a similar thread to this in PPR,entitled "Freedom of Speech on Wrong Planet", basically I have noticed that there are PPR type topics being discussed and debated in Random Discussion. I don't know why they aren't being moved like they used to be. Two main possibilities that I can see are, 1) the current people using WP aren't as scared of allowing people to open their mouths about controversial topics, or 2) the moderators have loosened up on the moving of threads.

Threads such as So I'm checking Conservapedia...,God exists, If the universe is infinite, does everything exist?, once would have instantly been shipped to PPR the moment that either the moderators noticed on their own or when somebody posted their links into the Moderator Attention thread.

So, why is it that people are being allowed the freedom to speak their mind on controversial topics?

Should it go back to the olden days when anything controversial or offensive in a non lewd way was relegated to PPR?

Thoughts?

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2009, 3:52 pm

Two main possibilities that I can see for the free expression of freedom are,

1) The OP was not intended to go in the unforeseen direction

2) Not everybody frequents the PPR section

Alternative Thoughts

Answer = C, all of the above

This will probably wind up being moved

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2009, 4:18 pm

I have a simple answer for you - The mods don't see all.

If you think a thread should be moved, PM one of them and they will likely oblige.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2009, 4:32 pm

mitharatowen wrote:
I have a simple answer for you - The mods don't see all.

If you think a thread should be moved, PM one of them and they will likely oblige.

Though the number of members is probably less than the 29,499 said on the left hand side, and less active users for sure, it would seem likely that someone would have already done so if they were offended by debate. I've posted my opening post to the Moderator Attention thread though, which is basically equivalent to PMing a moderator. I'm not actually offended myself, I like to debate and am fairly argumentative, but, I don't know, it is even slightly annoying to have these types of debates outside PPR for me, since I don't like it when my views or the views of people with similar beliefs to mine are being mocked and I feel drawn to argue. It is nice to have a break, but then there's the issue of having these conversations relegated to one place. IDK, I just wonder why no one had reported them before now.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2009, 5:00 pm

Yeah, I guess it just hasn't bothered anyone. I considered asking to have the latest one moved but meh.. it doesn't bother me :P

For the record, I completely understand what you say about being drawn into arguements that you don't particularly want to get into. I've definately been there myself :P
I also disagree with the, as you put it, 'mocking of world views' and apologize if I portrayed myself as an offender. I'd like to think I'd take anything presented logically into consideration.

My two cents ;)

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2009, 5:09 pm

mitharatowen wrote:
Yeah, I guess it just hasn't bothered anyone. I considered asking to have the latest one moved but meh.. it doesn't bother me :P

For the record, I completely understand what you say about being drawn into arguements that you don't particularly want to get into. I've definately been there myself :P
I also disagree with the, as you put it, 'mocking of world views' and apologize if I portrayed myself as an offender. I'd like to think I'd take anything presented logically into consideration.

My two cents ;)

You haven't portrayed yourself as an offender. People like EC have. You seem to be an Agnostic, who generally are more respective of other people's views. E.g. greenblue or Quatermass. I suppose I'm more of a militant Christian than most, but I would prefer to think of myself as reactionary rather than on the offensive.