do you eat things that others find odd?

Page 2 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

polymathpoolplayer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Sep 2009, 3:07 pm

whipstitches wrote:
Well, it has recently been brought to my attention that drinking the juice from the pickle jar (in a glass) is weird. It is also apparently weird to drink Alkalseltser (sp?) for the flavor. I guess since these are things that I drink, I didn't consider them "eating" weird things. :shrug:

Wow! me too! I also drink beet juice from pickled beets!! !

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2009, 3:21 pm

carltcwc wrote:
i like weird ethnic foods from around the world like sushi. i also like escargot a lot(snails). octopus, squid, fish eggs(cavier) are also great foods. My favorite is soft shelled crab rolls from sushi restruants where you eat the crab shell and all. i also really like the deep fried shrimp heads. MMM... this makes me hungry.

Apart from the caviar, this pretty much sums up what I like. I also like cockles and mussels either in vinegar or as part of a soup containing white wine, yum!!

whipstitches
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Sep 2009, 9:16 am

When I was a little kid, my mother used to buy several heads of lettuce and cabbage just for me. I used to pretty much only eat puffed wheat, white rice and mac-n-cheese...... but my favorite snack was lettuce and cabbage. I can remember running through the house with a quarter of a head of cabbage or lettuce that had been cut into a wedge shape. YUM! Cabbage is good!

whipstitches
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Sep 2009, 9:18 am

polymathpoolplayer wrote:
whipstitches wrote:
Well, it has recently been brought to my attention that drinking the juice from the pickle jar (in a glass) is weird. It is also apparently weird to drink Alkalseltser (sp?) for the flavor. I guess since these are things that I drink, I didn't consider them "eating" weird things. :shrug:

Wow! me too! I also drink beet juice from pickled beets!! !

I might have to try that some time! :lol:

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 11:37 am

I was always a big fan of ethnic foods. My parents encouraged it, since those foods are quite healthy, and even made them for me from time to time. Both of my parents are great cooks; I think I got the skill from them, 'cause I'm good at cooking too. However, when they packed me lunches for camp, they packed the foods they made. This obviously made me stick out like a sore thumb among other kids, who brought stereotypical American lunches. While pointing and laughing was pretty rare, most kids cringed in disgust when they saw what I was eating. Apparently, when you're in camp, you're supposed to eat only foods containing high fructose corn syrup, MSG, trans fats, Yellow 5, and Red 40. No wonder I thought of myself as the only patrician in a sea of plebeians, but maybe it was a little stuck up of me to think that. In school, it was a little easier: all students had free or deeply discounted lunches in the cafeteria (the school got government funding of some sort) and vented to each other about how much the food sucked.

Francis
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 2:52 pm

Nothing strange in and of itself. I just mix foods together that my wife says shouldn't go together. Last night for supper I had pickled herring, pudding and marshmallows, and washed it down with some orange juice.

Now, I am waiting 2 weeks for the McBaine Testicle Festival. Beer battered and deep fried.

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 3:47 pm

I don't know if it's strange, but I really don't much like hot food. I think it's partly because the cooking smells beforehand make me feel sick. I can't have eaten anything hot at all for a year, and I think the last one may have just been instant soup of the kind where all you need to do is add hot water. My meals are all foods that are cold from the start, or have been cooked at some point but are eaten cold. I quite often eat vegetables raw.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 3:53 pm

Francis wrote:
Nothing strange in and of itself. I just mix foods together that my wife says shouldn't go together. Last night for supper I had pickled herring, pudding and marshmallows, and washed it down with some orange juice.

Now, I am waiting 2 weeks for the McBaine Testicle Festival. Beer battered and deep fried.

I would like to go to that :D

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

zombiecide
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Sep 2009, 6:15 pm

I don't think my food is weird. Just inventive. And though people look highly suspicious before they taste it, afterwards they usually admit 'I never would have thought that it could taste good, what a surprise!' :)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 6:16 pm

zombiecide wrote:
I don't think my food is weird. Just inventive. And though people look highly suspicious before they taste it, afterwards they usually admit 'I never would have thought that it could taste good, what a surprise!' :)

I was like that once.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 6:27 pm

As a hippie, I used to eat carrot sandwiches and tofu. My mum told me that the doctor said that I need my iron, so I stopped eating those things.

TheDuck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Sep 2009, 6:52 pm

I like eating some things that are considered weird like kraft dinner in my cheeseburgers ,pretzels in cheese sandwiches or fries in my burgers (I think this is only half weird). I used to put fries , crackers and sliced cheese on top of my pizza. I haven't done it in years but I'm sure it would taste just as good as it did.

Sati
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 11:18 pm

Shebakoby wrote:
As for me, most of the wierd things I eat are acidic or salty in nature. I just love those sorts of things. For example, I drink the juice from pickle jars and green olive jars.

I also drink pickle juice! I think it feels great when I have a sore throat.

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 11:27 pm

I eat cilantro, not as a garnish but on its own.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

20 Sep 2009, 11:47 am

well i used to. oatmeal with barbeque sauce ontop of it is suprisingly good

Metal_Man
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2009, 1:00 pm

Francis wrote:

Mmmmmmmmmm............mountain oysters..........(Homer Simpson gurgling noises.