Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2009, 12:17 am

Do you have any?

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2009, 1:44 am

Oh, Sati...I do not. I know quite a many Aspie ask, in effect, "Should I inform my (potential) employer?"

Personally, if my ASD were not noticable, then I would not. But IF that difference were (potentially) an issue, then yes - but with discretion. If you think your AS is, or could be, an obstacle in your employment, and the interview process itself, then discretely have the HR director (you may ask who this is) with a brief note from your doctor or medical practitioner - just stating your condition with a cursory explanation. Being professional about this (to reveal) is utmost. Otherwise - no.

Although your resume should 'count' employers look at the interview - Aspies notoriously have disadvantages here....sigh.

[for legal purposes, you are covered by ADA and EO, if you have Dx]
If need be, then you may qualify for assistance during interview - this can make the difference!

But if your AS is not noticable, then you should do just fine. I guess you could prepare, such as by writing, in advance, your responses to questions an employer would ask, such as "Why might you like to work at a vet clinic?" Then you'll not be so nervous. I just don't know, except the obvious tips: Always be polite and courteous, dress nicely, and smile.