Taking things literally - spoken against written.

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Are you more likely to take things literally one way or the other?
Poll ended at 01 Oct 2009, 2:37 am
I never or very rarely take things literally. 18%  18%  [ 7 ]
I am more likely to take things literally if they are spoken than if they are written. 31%  31%  [ 12 ]
I am more likely to take things literally if they are written than if they are spoken. 15%  15%  [ 6 ]
I am equally likely to take things literally no matter how they are presented. 36%  36%  [ 14 ]
Other. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 39

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2009, 6:09 pm

I don't take things literally and I love metaphorical, symbolic, language written or spoken. My biggest issue is communication with others and "getting" where they are at emotionally and mentally. There's so many misunderstandings between me and them. It's like, I am never in the same "place" as them on a mental level. They are having one conversation and I am having another, most the time.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2009, 8:18 pm

That happens to me too ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo (whew)
I also think I have problems because I see too many possible interpretations. Someone will say something to me and I'll respond noncommittally and then I'll obsess later on about what they really meant. It's my favorite way to drive myself crazy.

Sati
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2009, 10:10 pm

I rarely understand metaphors, spoken or written. I like writing weird symbolic poetry, but if someone else writes it... I'll have NO idea what it's supposed to mean.

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2009, 3:12 am

I guess written, because when it's spoken you get the intonation which is a good clue and I can read it pretty well. But with written stuff, I tend to add the wrong intonation in my mind a lot of the time. XD;; I can usually recognize written sarcasm, (because it's so deliberate) but like.. just stuff that's intended to be straightforward but that might mean one thing or the other.. how do you even tell?

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 5:06 pm

I don't know if it's the same thing, but I have a lot of trouble recognizing when people are joking. If something is said with a straight face and sounds as if it could be plausible, I will likely assume the person means it, but by the reactions of them and other people, it seems like it was obvious to everyone else that it was a joke.

idiocratik
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 6:05 pm

Hovis wrote:
I don't know if it's the same thing, but I have a lot of trouble recognizing when people are joking. If something is said with a straight face and sounds as if it could be plausible, I will likely assume the person means it, but by the reactions of them and other people, it seems like it was obvious to everyone else that it was a joke.

Yeah. I remember times when someone told me something I thought was mean and insulting, and I got mad at them, but they said they were joking. I understand humor when there's a particular voice inflection or it's just completely obvious like slapstick humor. I get sarcasm most of the time, too. It's when someone clearly sounds like they're being serious that I don't catch it. I would think anyone would feel the same, not just those with autism.

CerebralDreamer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2009, 3:13 am

Nothing like having the bad habit of answering rhetorical questions in a class with a professor who asks them all the time... :oops: