Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

zombiecide
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Sep 2009, 10:38 pm

... if I'm 'neurotypical', 'Aspie' or anything else.

Hello. Call me Zombie or Bao (it's a bastardization of 不要忍).

I am somebody who every once in a couple of months or maybe a year will stumble over the term 'Asperger's' and do a couple of online quizzes to reassure herself that that can't really be the case, or maybe to reassure herself that she actually, really has a reason to be so weird. It's not really clear, but the pattern usually is the same and includes some almost-crying. Today, I was trying to find information about different kinds of synaestesia because just now, I read about mirror-touch synaestesia and that hit home; and I was trying to find out if my ... ghost perception of touching it when I look at something, anything - also is supposed to be a kind of synaestesia or how you call it. (Yes it's the wee hours of the night and I don't feel like sleeping or doing anything productive.)

Usually, after my spells I tell myself I have to be neurotypical with some weak points, and probably that is true; when I am not tired, I can maintain a shy, a bit awkward and geeky neurotypical persona. When I'm not in peak condition things are a bit different; thankfully my stamina is getting better with age and training.

What I am here for? To learn how to deal with very specific situations that are hindering to me and to that some of you might have come up with a clever solution.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2009, 10:42 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2009, 5:12 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet. I was reading a book about synesthesia (wish I could remember the title and author) and the author was relating an anecdote about cooking with someone who had it. He was cooking spaghetti sauce and after tasting it said it was "too pointy". He explained that when he tasted something he felt pressure on the palms of his hands and pointy meant not enough salt (or something) so it's possible what you experience is like that. I think there are other people here who have synesthesia. Anyway this group is a diverse lot and I'm sure you'll find a lot to talk about. :)

Oregon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Sep 2009, 8:23 am

Welcome to WP

I am somewhat new to the site, AS all my life & a dad to an AS son. It seems most people on the site treat each other as people... not some label. You just have to get used to some of the personalities.

Everyone is weird or unique in their own way. I am working on accepting my differences so I can learn what adjustments I need to make to live in society.

I believe knowledge is power, the more you understand something.. the more power you have over it.

zombiecide
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Sep 2009, 8:37 am

Thank you, guys!
Synaesthesia or not - it actually isn't much to write home about, just that my visual perception/memory is strongly linked with my other kinds of perception/memory, especially tactile, but also auditory and olfactory. When I don't keep myself wrapped up tight and go at a rapid pace while taking in information I notice it. Most of the time the additional perception actually comes from memory, only when there isn't any memory to link I come up with unrelated sensations. I just was curious if I could find information because it didn't seem to be correct to assume that everyone perceives the world like I do.

That's what I meant with 'it probably doesn't even matter' because I know I have some characteristic personality traits and talents problems and they aren't going to magically vanish if a professional tells me I can't have AS, nor are they are going to increase from a positive diagnosis. And I actually like my talents. Some years ago I would have gladly exchanged my talents for getting rid of my deficiencies, but not any more.

Last edited by zombiecide on 18 Sep 2009, 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2009, 8:38 am

Hi zombiecide

Welcome To

Glad to see you stumble in, some of us have to crawl in.
Though not always clever, I too prefer to live in the solution.
Sometimes the problem has more than one common denominator.
Most of us are still learning to live with ourselves regardless of each other.
:)

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2009, 9:40 am

Welcome to the WP neighborhood forums, Zombie.