Baby in the family 10%  10%  [ 10 ]
More than one of the above 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Other/Poll needs more options 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 105

capriwim
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Sep 2009, 2:10 pm

I'm the eldest of three girls. I have no idea how it relates to Aspergers. My middle sister is very NT, and my youngest sister is not NT, but not aspie either. I relate to her well though - we are very close. My middle sister and I have never been close. She doesn't like the way I am, and I find her superficial and manipulative.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 4:37 pm

I know I posted before. But I've noticed my mother and grandfather for sure (maybe even my grandmother but mental illness definitely runs on her side of the family) seem to have "quasi autistic" symptoms (they have some characteristics but do not have the condition. Grandmother was an only child (but I think she had two dead sibs), grandfather 5th out of sixth, and mother 2nd out of 4. So maybe this birth order thing means most likely the first born of the "odd" child in the previous generation (regardless of birth order) or the "odd" child's nieces & nephews (particularly if 1st born again) will probably have it. Some conditions I think skip around a bit (from aunt/uncle-niece/nephew, grandparent to grandchild, parent(s) to child(ren), etc.)

Hodor
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 7:08 pm

I'm the 3rd child but also the baby of the family. My older sisters are 6 and 8 years older than me, so I've always been the baby :P

My older sister (the middle child) has some AS traits, as does my mum. I'm not convinced either of them have full-blown AS but they both seem to think they do. Hmmm.

ozzie_girl
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Sep 2009, 7:30 pm

I'm the eldest of 2 (AS). My younger sister is not diagnosed but I suspect she is on the spectrum, though not AS. Her eldest child is dxed classic Autism.

AMD
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Sep 2009, 7:43 pm

I am a 2nd child and suspect i have AS. My son is a 1st child and has been dx'd with AS and ADD.

CTBill
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 8:26 pm

polymathpoolplayer wrote:
...typical "baby in the family" pampering or relaxation of rules by parents, which tends to occur at the fifth or sixth child...

Well, my parents were certainly much more tolerant of my "eccentricites" than either of my much older siblings' (as they frequently remind me, even to this day), although I was only the third child--hence my "Baby in the family" response.

The conclusion I am seeing here is that it would be nice if polls on WP could allow you to vote in more than one box, to avoid a choice having to be too narrow, such as: "3rd and last child with adopted sibling whose age is between my age and my next older natural sibling's age".

No offense intended, but your poll offers too many options, not too few. You may also fall victim to the "sample with the built-in bias" as a result of your option sequence as well.

Furthermore, if you want to gauge autism likelihood versus birth order, then you must of necessity reject anyone who claims to be an only child--you'll get no useful data from those individuals. Note that some only children may select "Oldest child" simply because it appears first in the list of choices.

Please read How to Lie with Statistics by Darrell Huff for a fun introduction to the pitfalls inherent in polling, as well as ways that statistics can be misleading (often unintentionally).

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 8:30 pm

I am an only child.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

CTBill
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 8:38 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
I am an only child.

DISQUALIFIED! :P

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2009, 1:22 am

OK I guess I need to announce my hidden agenda: I speculate that, other than only children, far less first children are Aspie/autistic. This is a hunch.

You do realize that this poll is going to tell you nothing to prove or disprove your hunch, right? There are various statistical reasons for this.