More than one of the above 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Other/Poll needs more options 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 105

polymathpoolplayer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Sep 2009, 2:53 pm

Hi again,

My curiosity is getting the better of me on the subject of a possible connection between being on the spectrum and birth order. I suspect the normal frequency ratio within the population as a whole is not shared by Aspies/Auties.

To help me in this, could you please state your birth order via poll and if you have pertinent anecdotes of how you think this has affected your life (or for other reasons) please share them in a thread. TYIA.

I'll go first: am the second child with an older NT sister who is utterly in control of her life, a raging extrovert and totally successful in everything she touches, not afraid of anybody ever, always went for what she wanted and mainly got it, dozens if not hundreds of friends. For me life has been really horrible, nothing works, semi-introverted, always misunderstood, a respecter of (and afraid of) of authority except briefly while in college, no friends, family for the main part does not like me.

PMPP

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2009, 3:00 pm

I'm not sure how to answer, because of my complicated sibling map.

on my mother's side:
1. half-brother, dx'd AS.
2. me, provisionally dx'd AS
3. full sister, no dx but many signs of AS and ADHD
4. half-sister, dx'd PDD and ADHD

on my father's side:
1. me, provisionally dx'd AS
2. full sister, no dx but many signs of AS and ADHD
3. half-brother, probably NT
4. half-sister, probably NT
5. half-brother, no dx but some signs of AS (different mother than 1-4)

my mother gave her first child up for adoption at birth.
I grew up as the oldest sibling with my full sister and maternal half-sister.
I was put in the parental role with my half-sister. I'm 8 years older. she has 3 kids, 2 of which show signs of AS but no dx.
I spent time with my dad's 3rd and 4th child fairly regularly growing up, but was an adult living in a different part of the country when he had his 5th child.
I have 2 kids, older one is NVLD and younger is ADHD.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2009, 3:59 pm

my kid is an only and is.

the first sib born in my family is undoubtedly aspie. the second one isn't. i am. [i'm the only one who had a kid.]

my mother wasn't, nor was her sib. my father was. he was one of 12, at least a half-dozen of whom were spectrum.

his father (one of 12-ish) most probably wasn't. his mother (only) most likely was.

her father probably wasn't. her mother most probably was.

that puts us back to 1850s and non-existent irish records.

i don't think it's order, i think it's genetics. the roll of the dice. and how various genes interact. maybe with the environment. the impacted line is from a long line of hatters and tanners, who would have been exposed to mercury and all sorts of nasty and noxious (and poisonous) chemicals.

Last edited by Nan on 18 Sep 2009, 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

polymathpoolplayer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Sep 2009, 4:06 pm

Nan wrote:

the first sib in my family is undoubtedly aspie. the second one isn't. i am. i'm the only one who had a kid.

my mother wasn't. my father was. he was one of 12, at least a half-dozen of whom were spectrum.

his father most probably wasn't. his mother most likely was.

that puts us back to 1850s....

i don't think it's order, i think it's genetics. the roll of the dice. and how various genes interact. maybe with the environment. the impacted line is from a long line of hatters and tanners, who would have been exposed to mercury and all sorts of nasty and noxious (and poisonous) chemicals.

OK I guess I need to announce my hidden agenda: I speculate that, other than only children, far less first children are Aspie/autistic. This is a hunch.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2009, 4:10 pm

hmmm. well, i can't verify that with my family. my first-born sib definitely is/was.
my father was well down in the string of siblings in his family, the first few either died young or were female, and i have no record of what they were like. after that it seems to have been hit or miss.
his mother was one of two, the younger of two. the first managed to fall into a fireplace as a toddler and didn't make it back out, so there's no telling about her.

i do seem to remember that the later children were more likely to have had "issues", though - but their parents were older then as well, so one wonders if it was birth order, or age of parents, or chemicals, or malnutrition, or genetics, or some combination of same.

be interesting to see what results you get here, but remember that "here" is not necessarily a representative sample.

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2009, 4:13 pm

polymathpoolplayer wrote:
Nan wrote:

the first sib in my family is undoubtedly aspie. the second one isn't. i am. i'm the only one who had a kid.

my mother wasn't. my father was. he was one of 12, at least a half-dozen of whom were spectrum.

his father most probably wasn't. his mother most likely was.

that puts us back to 1850s....

OK I guess I need to announce my hidden agenda: I speculate that, other than only children, far less first children are Aspie/autistic. This is a hunch.

Hey, just answered, and from the look of it, over 40% are first born Aspies >.> still possible that its too early to tell.

edit: Forgot to add that im the oldest of 3. the two younger are NT as far as i can tell.

Last edited by PlatedDrake on 18 Sep 2009, 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

polymathpoolplayer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Sep 2009, 4:21 pm

PlatedDrake wrote:
Hey, just answered, and from the look of it, over 40% are first born Aspies >.> still possible that its too early to tell.

Hmmm.. I guess I had it backwards (although 12 is not really sufficient data to draw any conclusions). Not that I am a totally firm believer in the exact evolutionary theory as propounded today, nonetheless it's my guess that Autism has reasons for its continued survival among humans - I conclude this because if the manifestation were to be occurring primarily amongst later children, what's to say they would EVER be born in the first place if the parents stop reproducing before the third or fourth child?

Just sayin'................

EDIT: So far 83% are first, second and only children.

Last edited by polymathpoolplayer on 18 Sep 2009, 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2009, 4:41 pm

Oldest child. Younger sister is NT.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2009, 5:02 pm

I'm an only child. I think it affected my AS because I never had a sibling to share a room with, nor did I ever get to practice social skills of interacting with other children. But whatever. I love being an only child. I wouldn't have it any other way. My mom pays attention only to me, so I can give special interest monologues without competing for other siblings' attention. :lol:
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2009, 5:18 pm

ChangelingGirl wrote:
Oldest child. Younger sister is NT.

Me too.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2009, 5:52 pm

I'm an only child, but my mom did want to have another one a couple of times. It's getting too late now as I'm already twenty, but she had me fairly young.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2009, 6:02 pm

My order:

1. Me (HFA)
2. NT brother
3. NT stepsister (I know she doesn't count for the bio standpoint but consider her my sister anyways)

Cousin (who is probably AS but parents will never admit it/more than just shy, etc.):

1. Him (undiagnosed but probably has AS)
2. NT sister (this cousin of mine is really annoying, bossy & oddly accident prone for an athlete)

My stepsister nephews (at least one probably has it, but again its not acknowledged as I know of) who are by her half brother:

1. Boy who most likely has it (2.5 yrs. old, can't talk or communicate, hyper, etc.) (I saw him... I'd say pigs would fly & Jesus Christ (Yeshua I believe was his technical name), Moses, Albert Einstein, Leonardo Da Vinci, Elvis & Michael Jackson will all return from the dead in this specific order if this kid is a total NT) Hey, but what do I know, I only saw the kid once.
2. 2nd boy whose supposedly 1st boy's opposite (never met/saw this one)

CTBill
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2009, 6:30 pm

I voted "Baby in the family", as my brother and my sister (both NT, AFAIK) were teenagers when I was born, and my parents were around 40. I was the "oops" baby. :P

Until I was about four, I thought my name was Baby, and would have a fit if anyone called me Billy. :x

polymathpoolplayer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Sep 2009, 6:46 pm

Peko wrote:
3. NT stepsister (I know she doesn't count for the bio standpoint but consider her my sister anyways)

Maybe, but from a socialization/maturation point of view she would count - as the spectrum is not just a hereditary thing - it is influenced by environment too.

Francis
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2009, 6:55 pm

I'm the third child and the baby in the family.

Was I supposed to select 'third child' or 'baby in the family' in the poll? :?:

CTBill
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2009, 7:05 pm

Francis wrote:
Was I supposed to select 'third child' or 'baby in the family' in the poll?

I wasn't sure what the OP intended either, but I interpreted "Baby in the family" as meaning "last-born, with significantly older siblings" (or possibly "only child born late in the parents' lives"), which is a far different situation than just being "third-born". In many ways, we remain the "babies" even long after we've reached adulthood, especially to our siblings.