is it possible to speak out loud without knowing?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

irishaspie
Toucan
Toucan

19 Sep 2009, 9:58 pm

i dont know if this is related to any condition so this topic can be moved to whatever section it fits into.

my question: is it possible to speak out loud without knowing?

for instance, 2 years ago i was in class and i had an internal thought ,didnt say it out loud to the best of my knowledge, and the people behind me responded.

the thought was "im gay
one of the boys behind me said to the other "did paul just say hes gay?"

and i thnk this has happened a lot in my life without me realising or without proper proof.

it it possible?

19 Sep 2009, 10:03 pm

Yes. I'm not sure what's called. I used to have this problem as a kid and I thought people were picking on me by accusing me of saying things I didn't say. I think believe you can say things without knowing it. At least I wasn't that gullible but it was the truth they were telling me and I wouldn't believe them.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 10:15 pm

I'm guilty of this myself.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 11:14 pm

I do it too. Sometimes I catch myself and other times I don't. I've been doing it since I was a kid.

sefer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Sep 2009, 11:57 pm

Yeah I do this too, mainly if I'm really invested in something and I get excited.

irishaspie
Toucan
Toucan

20 Sep 2009, 8:12 am

is there anyway to stop it?

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2009, 2:32 pm

I've done it a few times, but I'm almost 100% certain I did not actually say anything out loud, because every time after someone replies, I have to unstick my lips to be able to say "I didn't say anything."

My lips wouldn't be dry and sticking together if I had actually said anything, if you get what I mean.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2009, 4:03 pm

I don't think I have done it myself, but from what it seems it is possible that you can speak out loud without knowing. If people can talk in their sleep, then talking out loud without knowing must be possible.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2009, 5:57 pm

I used to chew on things to avoid doing that. It was hard for people to understand me, and hard for me to be loud when I was gnawing on a straw or a pen cap. Not a permanent solution, but it works in some circumstances.

Spyderz
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Dec 2015, 10:32 pm

This is a very old thread - but I was wondering if anyone had updated information.

I have been told on occasion that I said something (unrelated to the current conversation) and I am in complete shock because I have no memory of saying anything out loud. It appears to happen when I am focusing on a conversation with someone and then for one reason or another my mind drifts to something else. What I say typically is associated in some way with what I was thinking about ....but I don't have any idea I said it out loud.

Example - working with a carpet installer getting a quote in new carpet. He starts rambling on about different types of foam pads and suddenly he looks at me very shocked. I look around and say the last thing I heard him say...prompting him to continue. My daughter was in the other room and she comes into the living room and looks at me at me and says - mom why did you say that? I'm totally confused. Turns out I said something like "I didn't ever love you"....just out of the blue and I had no memory of saying it at all. I remember my thoughts drifting while the carpet installer was talking but it is like a part of me slips into a fugue state when it happens.

Doesn't happen often but it concerns me when it does happen. Is there a medical term for this condition?

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2015, 3:28 pm

Anything is possible.

DarkDeity
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Dec 2016, 9:57 pm

I am sure I talk out loud without actually hearing it. Sometimes I think I hear other people talking about me and they aren't even there but it is so real. If I did this I wish I knew all that was said because I do think people close to me has heard it and just won't tell me what I say. I feel like maybe it is bad and they don't want me to know, but I can't be sure. I have tried to record myself several times and I don't hear anything. Like my subconscious doesn't want me to hear it either. There was one time in all my recording sessions when u heard myself say, "she deserved it." That was it. I have no idea what it was about or what it could pertain to. Any helpful thoughts are welcome. I have been dealing with this for almost a year now. I don't know how to go about treating this, if it is a symptom of something more serious.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2016, 4:42 pm

Back when I was struggling with depression in 2007-08, I thought out loud a lot. It got to the point where I began holding water in my mouth to try and stop myself from doing it because the same old bullies I had to contend with five days a week picked up on it.

I still do it to this day but very rarely now the depression's under control.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

casperke
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 May 2021, 1:23 am

I know this is a very old thread. But this could easily be a form of auditory agnosia. It is a poorly understood neurological disorder that is due to disruption of the auditory cortices that, among other issues, can results in narrow specific difficulties in comprehension of speech from background noise.

Belief of what we said is heavily reliant on what we hear ourselves say as well as what we prepared to say. If you didn't intend to say something, and didn't hear yourself say it, then it is impossible to have awareness of the speech.

Diagnosing this is resource intensive. Doctors will treat the issue accordingly. Severe cases get attention first and sometimes only.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

01 May 2021, 3:07 am

casperke wrote:
Diagnosing this is resource intensive. Doctors will treat the issue accordingly. Severe cases get attention first and sometimes only.
Do you have any ideas on how this might be treated :?: I don't really have this issue nowadays but I'm curious. It is not uncommon for us autistics to talk to ourselves, especially when we are kids. I used to do that & the habit probably caused me to talk out loud sometimes without realizing/knowing I was doing it. I forced myself to quit talking to myself most of the time cuz I was getting bullied for it & in trouble with my teachers when I was in school. I think forcing myself to stop talking to myself out loud helped stop me from talking without realizing it.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition