Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2009, 12:50 pm

To answer I'd have to say a huge NO! :-) I snack throughout the day (dry cereal,snack crackers "cheezit's etc.") and I eat within 10min-30min of having lunch/dinner. I've been watching Doctor Oz and was thinking of new ways of eating and yet I can't figure them out LOL! Apples sure but for me carmel dip/PB for dipping LOL! Or carrots=good ranch dressing for dipping=bad LOL! Not to mention I can put away half a box of spaghetti noodles alone and a WHOLE box of Pasta Roni by myself! :-) today my stomach is aching and I feel ick (probably from the Arby's burger we had for dinner and I had the left over this morning LOL!) So as the title says do you eat healthy and any Healthy eating tips?

Wurzel
Raven
Raven

23 Sep 2009, 5:35 pm

I follow a strictly paleolithic diet - fish, lean meat, eggs, nuts, vegetables, and fruit. No grains, beans, potatoes, dairy, or sugar.

Kenjuudo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2009, 6:00 pm

I eat whatever I want whenever I want it. Luckily, I usually stick to the healthy foods, but not by choice. I'm an automaton and simply don't like foods that are deemed unhealthy.

Because food is never an issue for me, I never stray more than 1-2 kg above or below my ideal weight. And I don't work out either (which I want to, but never have gotten around to). My only physical conditioning I get is when I walk to the store and back thrice a week.

CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2009, 6:19 pm

I do. It's everything in modertaion for me. I don't deny myself anything, which prevents me from going overboard on anything. I drink a lot of water. I have a salad every day for lunch and I try not to eat a lot of red meat. I have my daily fruits and veggies and I try to be adventurous with what I eat. I'm always game to try something new. Keeps things interesting. I think variety is key. 8)

elf_1half
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Sep 2009, 7:31 pm

Oh yes, healthy eating and nutrition is something I find very interesting. If you want to eat better one of the best things you can eat less animal protein (especially red meats) and more fruits, vegetables and nuts. I'm a vegetarian and personally believe it's the best way to be, but I know most people don't want to go all out... So if you're gonna eat meat go for things like grilled chicken, avoid steak and burgers. Avoid simple carbs like white breads and rice and always go for whole grain because aside from being healthier it will also make you fuller so you won't be tempted to eat as much during the day.

If you like to snack, you should try snacking on nuts. Almonds and walnuts are especially healthy. They do have a lot of calories, but studies show that people who eat nuts everyday are thinner and live longer than people who don't because they are a good source of protein (people who eat them tend to eat less of other foods) and because they're a good source of vitamins and antitoxins. Plus, they taste really good :D

Most health magazines recommend not to give up junk food and to just have it in moderation, because going cold turkey supposedly makes you more likely to binge. I personally find this does not work for me. If I eat junk I crave it like crazy, and once I stopped eating junk I nearly lost my taste for it and really don't even have a desire for it. I still eat things that taste really good, just healthy things, and I do compensate for this by letting myself overeat a bit during special occasions like holidays. I think eating junk in moderation is something that varies for everyone, so you have to see what works for you.

Also, try not to have junk food lying around the house. After all, if it's not there you won't be tempted to eat it :3

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2009, 8:48 pm

elf_1half wrote:
Oh yes, healthy eating and nutrition is something I find very interesting. If you want to eat better one of the best things you can eat less animal protein (especially red meats) and more fruits, vegetables and nuts. I'm a vegetarian and personally believe it's the best way to be, but I know most people don't want to go all out... So if you're gonna eat meat go for things like grilled chicken, avoid steak and burgers. Avoid simple carbs like white breads and rice and always go for whole grain because aside from being healthier it will also make you fuller so you won't be tempted to eat as much during the day.

If you like to snack, you should try snacking on nuts. Almonds and walnuts are especially healthy. They do have a lot of calories, but studies show that people who eat nuts everyday are thinner and live longer than people who don't because they are a good source of protein (people who eat them tend to eat less of other foods) and because they're a good source of vitamins and antitoxins. Plus, they taste really good :D

Most health magazines recommend not to give up junk food and to just have it in moderation, because going cold turkey supposedly makes you more likely to binge. I personally find this does not work for me. If I eat junk I crave it like crazy, and once I stopped eating junk I nearly lost my taste for it and really don't even have a desire for it. I still eat things that taste really good, just healthy things, and I do compensate for this by letting myself overeat a bit during special occasions like holidays. I think eating junk in moderation is something that varies for everyone, so you have to see what works for you.

Also, try not to have junk food lying around the house. After all, if it's not there you won't be tempted to eat it :3

Thanks for all the tips elf you made some good points except I have galbladder issues so perhaps nuts aren't the best thing for me. Obviously #1 cut out snacking all the time and buy fruits etc. (We mostly have junk in the house but it's junk I mostly eat LOL!) I'll look into fruits and such next time at the grocery store. :-)

Sati
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2009, 9:19 pm

I'm a vegan and have a very healthy diet now! (Didn't used to, heh). If anyone is interested in veganism I will gladly give some tips and links to get you started :D