Legolas Skateboarding (random, but funny)

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Funny?
Hysterical. 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Hysterical. 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
No, it's totally serious, but totally cool. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No, it's totally serious, but totally cool. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Just plain dumb. 29%  29%  [ 4 ]
Just plain dumb. 29%  29%  [ 4 ]
I speak Elvish and want to grow my hair down to my butt. Lay off. 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
I speak Elvish and want to grow my hair down to my butt. Lay off. 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 14

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2006, 4:07 pm

When I saw Legolas skateboarding in the Two Towres movie, that was the end of his believability as a character for me. Then it was just, "OK, that's it. This movie is awesome... but that shot was beyond indulgent."

Well, if YOU liked that moment, here's something you might enjoy...

http://www.toymania.com/columns/spotlig ... big5.shtml

LMAO. I can't believe it.

By the way, who else would have liked to see him get drunk in that drinking contest with Gimli? That would have redeemed him a bit as a character. I wonder is a drunk Elf (in Tolkien's world) would turn mean, goofy, or just pass out?

Thagomizer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2006, 6:14 pm

Someone needs to film a parody of that scene, in which the cool archer guy attempts that, slips, falls, and is impaled onto an enemy's spear.

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2006, 6:17 pm

Serissa wrote:
When I saw Legolas skateboarding ...that shot was beyond indulgent."

Precisely. Was there no awareness at the toy company, to realise they were following folly into stupidity? Did no-one do a double-take?

Next series of action figures: Hobbits on BMX's.

It was largely the increasing number of indulgent, unecessary and un-thought-out moments which makes me rate the first film the best of the trilogy, however many great scenes and settings the other films included.

Best variation from the book: bringing the dead to Minas Tirith.
Possibly the worst, having the Gondor cavalry attack fortified infantry and archers.
(Though there are a fair number of other contenders, such as the poorly-conveyed freeing of Theoden, and the extraordinarily kitsch transformation of tempted Galadriel)

Last edited by Emettman on 03 Feb 2006, 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thagomizer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2006, 6:19 pm

Well, that whole scene with Galadriel is sort of hokey in the theatrical version, but I think it plays much better in the extended cut.

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2006, 6:37 pm

I'll take another look, you could be right: I have the extended set, but I didn't notice a vast improvement.

Why, oh why, were the walls of Minas Tirith made so fragile? The books provide a perfectly adequate (and cinematic) method of assault.

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2006, 7:41 pm

Thagomizer wrote:
Someone needs to film a parody of that scene, in which the cool archer guy attempts that, slips, falls, and is impaled onto an enemy's spear.

I thought (and still think) the same thing. My cousin, brother and I attempted it, but were stopped in pre-production by MADSAF (Mothers Against Dangerous Stunts in Amateur Films. They also shut down filming on Star Wars 2.5: The Jedi Olympics on the grounds that running around the neighborhood in full costume and beating each other with painted bits of PVC piping was not conducive to assimilation into the greater good. (Actually, they used the term "normal," but assimilation is a much better word.)

I also thought the bit when Legolas jumps onto the horse during the fight with the wargs was a little bit far-fetched. Elf or not, the laws of physics still apply.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2006, 7:57 pm

dexkaden wrote:
I thought (and still think) the same thing. My cousin, brother and I attempted it, but were stopped in pre-production by MADSAF (Mothers Against Dangerous Stunts in Amateur Films. They also shut down filming on Star Wars 2.5: The Jedi Olympics on the grounds that running around the neighborhood in full costume and beating each other with painted bits of PVC piping was not conducive to assimilation into the greater good. (Actually, they used the term "normal," but assimilation is a much better word.)

I also thought the bit when Legolas jumps onto the horse during the fight with the wargs was a little bit far-fetched. Elf or not, the laws of physics still apply.

I'll forgive that one because you don't think of Legolas as any less of an elf for that one; in fact, you don't think of him at all. You just think, "WOW! I BET THAT SPECIAL EFFECT COST A BUNDLE AND TOOK FOREVER!"

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2006, 8:25 pm

Serissa wrote:

I'll forgive that one because you don't think of Legolas as any less of an elf for that one; in fact, you don't think of him at all. You just think, "WOW! I BET THAT SPECIAL EFFECT COST A BUNDLE AND TOOK FOREVER!"

You're right! That's exactly what I think. :) I still think he kind of redeems himself in Return of the King fighting the Southerners and their "olliphants." That may be a bit over the top, but I still like him climbing up the ladder of arrows better than him playing X- .