Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Anton
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Feb 2006, 4:03 pm

fahreeq wrote:
Uncle Toms of any variety annoy me.

I'm sorry, what's an Uncle Tom? Except an actual uncle named Tom, of course. :?

My list:

1. Feeling forced to do something (ie the feeling of having no choice).
2. When something stands between me and my interest.
3. False people.
4. Social situations which don't feel natural.
5. Bad music. Since I have great trouble shutting sounds out, I want the sound coming to me to be good.

That's the most important stuff I can think of.

sc
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2006, 8:14 pm

1. Persons who say they do not like something about another person right in front of them. While knowing it will tick them off becuase annoying them and starting confict as an instagator is the only thing they think is entertaining.

2. Persons who would rather create conflict then inteligent conversation.

3. Persons who can't stand intiligence or self-confidence. Usually having to do with their own self-esteem.

4. Persons that discribe people they do not like, yet might never like that person becuase they are that discriminatory and quick to hate.

5. Persons who find things annoying about a person to easily and are not willing to accept a person for who he or she is. Intolerance.

6. Persons that decide to dislike, creating conflict to ruin good intents, for selfish and egotistical reasons. These are the people who ruin dreams, hopes and futures without even bothing to care.

7. Persons who drive fast and unpredictably, putting others in danger.

8. Persons who have not the heart of forgiveness, just the cold desire of revenge and bickering.

9. Persons who can't stand good tastes, morals, values and the persuit of being themselves, becuase if they seem better the other person gets jelious and has a self-esteem break down.

10. Persons that are annoyed by themselves and take it out on me.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2006, 9:03 pm

1. Crowds
2. Small talk
3. Social expectations
4. Girls who persist in believing that "thinking" is a four-letter word (and who, incidentally, also can't count)
5. Guys who apparently think with the anterior contents of their pants
6. Not being able to find a place where I can be alone
7. Being tired
8. My mother

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2006, 11:35 am

CuriousPrimate wrote:
... Peole who think animals are on the planet for them to what they want with, such as vivisection, hunting, battery farming, fur coats, ...

Here, here! I'd like to add that one to my list, too.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2006, 3:33 pm

1.people that tYpE lIke ThIs.

2.ignorance

3.slow drivers in front of me

4.drivers that come up on my butt on the road

5.bullies

6.rainbow posts

7.people that like to draw attention to themselves by doing something idiotic and pointless

8.intolerance

9.preppy cheerleaders(thank God I don't go to school anymore!)

-SpaceCase :wink:

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2006, 4:21 pm

Quote:
I'm sorry, what's an Uncle Tom? Except an actual uncle named Tom, of course. :?

1 : a black person who is overeager to win the approval of whites
2 : a member of a low-status group who is overly subservient to or cooperative with authority

Its from the book Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe. Uncle Tom is a "happy" slave who gets beat to death by his owner. This book was written before the civil war used to be read in English and history classes.

BeeBee

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2006, 10:54 pm

1. Teachers who mock, and belittle their students to profit their own ego.

I've got this really high standard for teachers. When i become a teacher i'm gonna hold such high standards for myself. It doesn't matter how much i'm paid, it is the principle of the thing. I have done other service jobs(minor ones) where no matter how tired or pissed off, or high/drunk ^_^ i got i never broke my own code. So i've got evidence that i'm not just being a hypocrit.

I dont mind it when teachers are just crappy, or dont know enough, you cant really blame people for being ignorent(unless that ignorence was willful), but it does bug me when teachers put down students, or refuse to acknowledge their ignorence, or publicly humiliate students(no matter how minor), or refuse to show patience.

I believe that the only people who should be allowed to become teachers are those who can show an exceptional amount of patience, and compassion with students. And that by ignoring those requirements you are ruining peoples lives in a subtle way.

Soma
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Feb 2006, 1:03 am

1. MTV-esque music.
2. School
3. Fluro lights.
4. Chain emails
5. Being giggled at/ talked about behind my back.
6. Superficiality, in any form.
7. Trashy celebs.
8. Talkshows.
9. Pet-hate: AS being patronised in any form.
10. Being denied common courtesy
11. Hypocritics! (both 10 &11 happened today)

I could write so much more...

Henry David Thoureau, 1854

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2006, 2:55 am

Quote:
Its from the book Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe. Uncle Tom is a "happy" slave who gets beat to death by his owner. This book was written before the civil war used to be read in English and history classes.
Totally off-topic, but I happened to get curious enough to read this book some years ago. The phrase "uncle tom" has, apparently, totally changed its meaning from the time it was used as the name for a character in a book; because the character Tom in the novel is nowhere near the stereotype.

While he does choose continued slavery, he does so because he is attempting to protect other slaves from being sold to make up the price he could bring; later on he remains a slave because he wants to help the other victims of Legree, an extremely evil Southern planter. The reason he is beaten to death is that he refuses to disclose the location of two escaped slaves.

The book's storyline is often secondary to the point the author is trying to make. She uses both logic and extreme sentimentality to attempt to convince her readers of her point. The character Tom is probably the way Stowe showed her readers what horrible things could happen to a slave, simply because he had no rights; but his attitude is much more a passive resistance than an eager attempt to please his white owners.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Sorce
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2006, 11:57 am

1. Dirty bathrooms
2. Unclean eating utensils and plates
3. Strangers who walk up to me and touch my book without permission.

4. This one was just recently added. Uncle Tom statements. This doesn't just annoy me it pisses me off. As a black person who loves reading and writing I have been ridiculed because of the way I speak, and this statement is one of the ones I hear the most. This statement discourages blacks from receiving a great education, and sends the message that it's better to be ignorant than talking like a 'white' person. I usually hear this from racist whites and blacks that are racist to their own people.

fahreeq wrote:
Uncle Toms of any variety annoy me.

blank
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Feb 2006, 3:10 am

CRB wrote:
Here are a few for me:

1. Lines (queues) of any kind
2. Slow drivers in front of me when I am in a hurry.
3. Slow computers
4. Computer/hardware/software trouble
5. Inclement weather of any kind
6. Very high-pitched noise
7. Car trouble
8. Appliance trouble
9. Power outages
10. People who interrupt me when I am in the middle of something
11. Demanding people
12. People who criticize me a lot
13. People who won't leave me alone when I want to be left alone.
14. Price increases of any kind
15. Slow or poor service

Every single one of these irritate me.
Plus:
My mother
My sister
Really loud music
Shopping experiences: 1. Loud music in stores 2. Crying babies in stores - the parents never take the kid out of the store
Crowded places
Air-conditioning unless it's over 85 degrees
Over-priced food at restaurants
Having to tip 15% even when the service sucked
Getting my haircut and having to chat with the stylist
People who are in public positions and are rude to the public
People who don't like various other groups of people

DivaD
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2006, 8:06 am

people who make others feel guilty, who try and manipulate others through guilt, and who control other's personal lifestyle choices by guilt :evil: :evil: :evil:

people who when you ask something, say no but then also make you feel like you were wrong for daring to ask them! well how was i supposed to guess, am i supposed to be a mindreader??? they seem to have this idea that just because i asked it meant i thought they'd say yes or something - but i don't make assumptions about people, i ask because i don't know what they want, not because i think i do know!

people who make a lot of demands of me, but when i ask for the smallest thing back from them, they refuse, make a huge issue out of it, treat it as a bargaining position to make even more enormous demands :evil: (most NTs have been that way and some relationships too :( )

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2006, 11:29 am

1. Internet at school and their lack of will to fix it (they should have noticed that having just as much internet in the lecture halls as the resident halls when like 1/8 as many people use it is a bad idea.)
2. The School making us pay extra for halfway decent internet once it is fixed (I already pay 20,000 a year why make me pay a few 100 more!)
3. Drunk people.
4. Loud Drunk People
5. RAs and RDs who refuse to Deal with the (loud) drunk so they keep getting louder and drunker.
6. People who start topics about things that annoy you :-p. (sorry I had to)

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

green
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Feb 2006, 12:14 am

hehe, can't resist...

1. posts with more than 1 page of replies (esp. because i have a slow proxy)
2. people who finish my sentences for me, thus confusing me about what i was actually going to say
3. police. period.
4. people chewing
5. people who ask personal questions and then get all quiet when i answer
6. people asking me questions when i'm overstimulated
7. people who think they know me/can diagnose me/understand me on some deep level
8. people who make a mess in handicapped stalls in public toilets for differently abled people to have to sit in
9. macintosh computers
10. pity when what i want is understanding, companionship, and answers to my questions

peace out

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2006, 6:54 am

sc wrote:
3. Persons who can't stand intiligence or self-confidence. Usually having to do with their own self-esteem.

8O