Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

AMD
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Sep 2009, 6:34 pm

I hope this is in the right section.

I have read that people with AS/ASD may start puberty earlier than NTs. Is this true?

Reason i ask is because my son just had his well visit and his dr said that he is an early bloomer. He has started going through this since he turned 10. (he's nearing 11).

I was just wondering is that accurate or just another could be or not type of thing, like everyone is different and developes differently type of thing.

23 Sep 2009, 6:58 pm

I started puberty at age nine when school started. It was with my nipples sticking out further from my chest. Then I was always wet down there. I can remember my mom coming home with undershirts telling me to wear them or else boys will state at my chest because I am starting to get boobies and I looked down and saw nothing. She had to point that my nipples were sticking out. Then she eventually got me training bras and some kids thought I wore a bra.

GreenGrrl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Sep 2009, 7:06 pm

I've read a few theories that autism has something to do with high levels of testosterone in the brain, which maybe could impact on puberty. But then there are those contradicting claims that some people with autism look younger than they are, which means they probably start puberty later than their peers. I personally think the onset of puberty is determined by genetic (the parents) reasons and in some cases, maybe environmental factors (hormones in chicken, LOL). But yeah, everyone is different (although sometimes I do wonder with some people...) :D

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2009, 7:29 pm

GreenGrrl wrote:
I've read a few theories that autism has something to do with high levels of testosterone in the brain, which maybe could impact on puberty. But then there are those contradicting claims that some people with autism look younger than they are, which means they probably start puberty later than their peers. I personally think the onset of puberty is determined by genetic (the parents) reasons and in some cases, maybe environmental factors (hormones in chicken, LOL). But yeah, everyone is different (although sometimes I do wonder with some people...) :D

Testoserone is primary made in the gonads, and the brain doesn't make ANY! I think you are confusing this with the extreme male theory.

The young appearance isn't because of a lack of sex hormones. BESIDES, an excess of hormones in anyone from teenage on will make one look YOUNGER.

As for me, supposedly my libido came on early. Other things probably started on the low end of normal.

BTW an excess of testosterone would likely slow female development, and females typically have a 15th as much as males. ESTROGEN is what causes the nipples to grow.

Then again, you can't have testosterone really without LH, and LH releases estrogen in females.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2009, 7:35 pm

I started around 13 or 14. :?

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2009, 8:17 pm

I did not start until almost 15 myself.

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2009, 8:30 pm

AMD wrote:
I hope this is in the right section.

I have read that people with AS/ASD may start puberty earlier than NTs. Is this true?

Reason i ask is because my son just had his well visit and his dr said that he is an early bloomer. He has started going through this since he turned 10. (he's nearing 11).

I was just wondering is that accurate or just another could be or not type of thing, like everyone is different and developes differently type of thing.

I hit puberty during my ninth grade year, so it's definitely not all of us.

Sati
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2009, 9:14 pm

I started puberty when I was 13.

Tracker
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2009, 9:35 pm

I definitely started late. I know that abnormally slow physical development is a trait in my family. I didnt hit full height till I was 20. And my uncle didnt hit full height till he was 21. Although people in my family who grow slower also live to be 90-100 or so before they die. So I guess it has benefits later in life. I dont think the start of puberty is related to autism at all, more likely just natural variation that happened to be early.

23 Sep 2009, 9:41 pm

I think I had a mild case of precocious puberty. Nine is early I think. 10-12 is average I think. That's when kids were wearing bras in 5th grade when I was 11 and they didn't even have breasts, they had buds.

AMD
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Sep 2009, 10:24 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
I think I had a mild case of precocious puberty. Nine is early I think. 10-12 is average I think. That's when kids were wearing bras in 5th grade when I was 11 and they didn't even have breasts, they had buds.

I believe boys are later than girls. He has started this since he turned 10, i think average is 12.

Nice to know it probably isn't an ASD thing though. Must just be everyone's different. I was in 5th and started puberty. My son was in 4th (now 5th) when he started.