Is costco a good job for High Functioning Autisim?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

SectorStar
Raven
Raven

24 Sep 2009, 7:50 pm

I don't feel like typing my whole "crisis" and everything all over again, so if your curious, you can check it out here.(Click me)

Anyways I'm nearly 21 years old and other then work experience in high school at a computer repair place, I haven't had a real job. I know some people would tell me to quit being lazy and get one while I'm in college, but between the stress and depression I'm going through with college right now, I honestly don't think I'd be able to handle it. Beings I wasn't able to take any summer classes at college because of my failure to pass math for the third time, I applied for a summer job at my dad's work in the mill, never got a phone call back. I'm more then likely not gona get a degree in anything right now with only a year left on my scholarship, and after its over (if i don't already drop out from failing and getting put on academic probation again) I'm gona look for a job and do that for awhile because I need to start saving up if I ever wana see my online girl friend that I've been together with for nearly a year, and for the future when I move out. A Costco is supposed to be opening up here soon. I read that cash register type jobs aren't good for autistic people because of the time and stress, but I was wondering if maybe I could do other things there like stock shelfs or put together displays. Even the part time jobs positions will have benefits included. Otherwise I'll have to look for something else. I don't see the point of throwing my hard earned money away on college that I'm not going to pass anytime soon.

puzzle62
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Sep 2009, 12:06 am

I think that would be a good choice, I have friends that work at costco, they love it. The one guy is a door greeter, but he had a lot of experience already. I stocked shelves at toys r us and I loved it. As long as I could get my work done quickly, they left me alone, also I didn't have to deal with the public much. Costco wouldn't hire my husband, because he wanted part time. Our costco only hires full time. also I don't know if they hire without experience. I know toys r us hires alot of people who have no experience and people who are not good with people too. My son is 20 and he hasn't had a job yet either, he didn't even go to college, he just put in at a few places and they never called back. He wanted best buy or game stop, but now he would like the apple store, but a guy he knows online didn't get hired there so he's afraid he won't either. even though we live in a different state. You should put in at a couple of places to increase your odds. I wish our costco did part time. Good luck on your job hunting.

SectorStar
Raven
Raven

25 Sep 2009, 12:22 am

Well I doubt the part times are gona last forever, I think they're just doing that so they have people to run the place when it opens. Toys r us sounds like it might be fun, but unfortunately the nearest one is in Eugene, which is about 45 mins to an hour from me in Roseburg, Oregon. But yeah I agree with the "they'll leave you alone as long as you do your job quickly" part. I'm not as bad as I used to be in terms of socializing with people, but I can still keep to myself when I want to.

Hagbarthr
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Sep 2009, 10:19 am

I worked there for two winter breaks and one summer break.

They had me pushing carts the entire time.

The work wasn't bad if the weather was OK.

When the weather sucked, all the other cart pushers would call out and I'd be stuck working outside all day in freezing rain.

Also, the people driving in the parking lot are all nucking futs, with their giant SUVs, talking on their cell phones all day.
Don't be surprised when you almost get run over on a daily basis.

pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2009, 4:06 pm

If there's an open Costco near you, go there to see what it's like. Or go to a similar store like Walmart, walk around, and see if you would be comfortable working in that kind of environment. That's the best advice I can offer.

jdbob
Toucan
Toucan

05 Oct 2009, 4:23 am

Welcome to Costco: