Just show me the results, please 35%  35%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 26

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2009, 12:04 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
NobelCynic wrote:
Of course I think my opinion is the right one on everything, If I didn't I would change it.

I like this response.

Seconded, my response would probably have been along those lines if I felt like being serious.

Really though, everyone believes that their current beliefs are correct, or they would not hold them- ie people do not knowingly believe false things. This seems a fairly reasonable thing to postulate. Of course intellectually I can acknowledge in a vague sense that I might be wrong on something, and I can easily enough look back and see that my views have changed... but I regard my past opinions as being wrong, never my present ones. In a year, when I hold different beliefs than I do now, my views then will be correct, and my current ones wrong. But for now, my current beliefs are correct and all others false.

NobelCynic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2009, 8:07 am

Orwell wrote:
Really though, everyone believes that their current beliefs are correct, or they would not hold them- ie people do not knowingly believe false things.

I will agree with this Orwell for any given point in time, the problem is that sometimes people can change their opinions so quickly that is almost appears that they are holding two opposing opinions simultaneously (doublethink?).

I tried to start a topic on that once but there wasn't a lot of interest; I find the concept fascinating though.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2009, 12:49 pm

NobelCynic wrote:
I will agree with this Orwell for any given point in time, the problem is that sometimes people can change their opinions so quickly that is almost appears that they are holding two opposing opinions simultaneously (doublethink?).

I tried to start a topic on that once but there wasn't a lot of interest; I find the concept fascinating though.

Well, I do currently hold some contradictory beliefs, and I suppose you could call that doublethink. I maintain contradictory beliefs because I haven't yet come up with a satisfactory way of resolving the contradictions. And many people hold contradictory beliefs simply because they are not analytical and don't really consider the generalized implications of their beliefs on any one subject.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2009, 12:59 pm

I think the more important think is the ability to differentiate opinion from fact on matters.

It muddles up important discussions in scientific matters when people lie about global warming and hide behind the whole "opinion" thing.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2009, 3:27 pm

Orwell wrote:
Awesomelyglorious wrote:
NobelCynic wrote:
Of course I think my opinion is the right one on everything, If I didn't I would change it.

I like this response.

Seconded, my response would probably have been along those lines if I felt like being serious.

Really though, everyone believes that their current beliefs are correct, or they would not hold them- ie people do not knowingly believe false things. This seems a fairly reasonable thing to postulate. Of course intellectually I can acknowledge in a vague sense that I might be wrong on something, and I can easily enough look back and see that my views have changed... but I regard my past opinions as being wrong, never my present ones. In a year, when I hold different beliefs than I do now, my views then will be correct, and my current ones wrong. But for now, my current beliefs are correct and all others false.

I do like this response.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2009, 4:42 pm

Many of my opinions are probably incorrect, I just don't know which ones.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2009, 6:20 pm

Henriksson wrote:
Many of my opinions are probably incorrect, I just don't know which ones.
Probably all of them. Including this one. Apparently, your opinion that "logic is valid" is also one of the wrong opinions.

NobelCynic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2009, 7:54 pm

Good guess AG.

Now what about your opinions?

wildgrape
Toucan
Toucan

26 Sep 2009, 8:54 pm

I am a stickler for accuracy, and must admit that I am not always right. I am only right 99.99% of the time. Sadly this category was not offered as an option. Had it been, I believe that it might have garnered several votes from others who like me are prepared to confront squarely their limitations.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2009, 11:11 pm

NobelCynic wrote:
Good guess AG.

My opinions are all right, except for this one.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2009, 11:12 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:

Now I do really like this response :P

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2009, 11:36 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
NobelCynic wrote:
Good guess AG.

Curse you, Gödel!! :x