Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2006, 1:00 am

Well, showed my kid the old, old, Time Machine by Orson Wells. He loved it!! Watched it 6 times in one weekend! I don't know why but my younger kids love old movies. They like Godzilla!! (they must get it from their Dad!) :roll:

Lurker_Extraordinaire
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Mar 2006, 10:03 am

While this is not at all appropriate for a 12 year old......."Slaughterhouse 5" is a good time travel movie too.

I 2nd Thagomizers recommendation of "Time Bandits"

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2006, 10:30 pm

Is time Bandits okay for a 12 year old?

Lurker_Extraordinaire
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Mar 2006, 6:58 am

Rated PG.

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2006, 10:21 am

Thanks, Lurker. My son has now watched Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, Star Trek the Next Generation: A Matter of Time.

So far, nothing has thrilled him like Back to the Future. I think he likes that comedic element and he loves Doc Emmet Brown.

Any body know of any movies with Christopher Lloyd? Maybe he would like that too.

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2006, 4:24 pm

Bland wrote:
Thanks, Lurker. My son has now watched Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, Star Trek the Next Generation: A Matter of Time.

So far, nothing has thrilled him like Back to the Future. I think he likes that comedic element and he loves Doc Emmet Brown.

Any body know of any movies with Christopher Lloyd? Maybe he would like that too.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000502/

There's his filmography. Click on a title to view information about it and see what people think of it.

muddlinthrough
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 May 2006, 10:49 am

jstrewth wrote:
My personal pick, and one that probably nobody will get: Time After Time, with Malcolm McDowell, David Warner, and Mary Steenburgen.

Basic plot: In 1890s London, Jack the Ripper uses H.G. Wells' time machine to escape Scotland Yard's best and Wells follows him to 1979 San Francisco to capture him.

Great movie, and a terrific premise to boot. Your kid will love it.

"In our time,I was a monster.In this time,I'm an amatuer"

But of coursre the plot involves a serial killer stocking hookers.Might be a little mature for twelve?

What-ever
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 May 2006, 11:11 am

Bland wrote:
I need some help in finding books or movies about time travel for my 12 year old AS son. His favorite movies are the Back to the Future trilogy. The only other movie about time travel that I could think of was Somewhere in Time starring Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour. (I hate that movie) He did not enjoy it since it's basically a love story.
The recommendations should be clean and appropriate for a child. I'd love to have a book for him. He doesn't read much so maybe this could motivate him.
Any ideas?

I think it was HG Wells The Time Machine? A bit dated, but might work.

Voxsolemnis

18 May 2006, 7:56 pm

Here is a thought... coming straight from the mind of a 35 year old adult with Asperger & HFA...

Have your 12 year old AS son (this would provide a stimulus for reading as well as writing) write his own Time Travel story. He is the author, and creator. With his own characters and experiences, it would be an awesome read.

Of course there are many many great books already written, but the very essence of AS in a child is very likely to strengthen his imagination & creativity as well.

He should try it out! :)

danielcanberra

23 May 2006, 9:18 pm

I watched A Sound of Thunder which is a recent time travel film.

Check it out on IMDB. I very much enjoyed it. It was a good angle on why it is important for time travellers to NEVER change anything in the past, including killing a butterfly. The consequences are dramatic.

sunny
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 May 2006, 10:25 pm

Ha sanyone recommended Disney's, "Flight of the Navigator" to you yet? That is one cool movie. Although maybe a bit too juvenile for him if he is really advanced.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2006, 5:05 am

I believe Disney has a whole raft of time travel movies. I am thinking of "a kid in camelot" or something.

"Great Scott!" Maybe he loves the endless plot twists in 'back to the future'. I also wouldnt be surprised if Christopher Lloyds over the top acting expresses emotions that he can read.

Ask him if its the plot twists that are so fun, get back to us, and we'll all chip in with suggestions for movies that are like that.

And writing a story on time travel would be an excellent thing. Maybe there is something special that he enjoys.. you can offer it as a reward for the story, if he is not inclined to write.

ladakh
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Jul 2006, 1:26 pm

Time Bandits.

Barracuda
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2006, 4:07 pm

Fuzzy wrote:
I believe Disney has a whole raft of time travel movies. I am thinking of "a kid in camelot" or something.
I think that was Based off of a Yankee In King Authur's Court.

H2G2 has a bit of time travel.
The outer limits had a couple of episodes on it.