Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2006, 1:46 pm

I need some help in finding books or movies about time travel for my 12 year old AS son. His favorite movies are the Back to the Future trilogy. The only other movie about time travel that I could think of was Somewhere in Time starring Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour. (I hate that movie) He did not enjoy it since it's basically a love story.
The recommendations should be clean and appropriate for a child. I'd love to have a book for him. He doesn't read much so maybe this could motivate him.
Any ideas?

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2006, 1:59 pm

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure?

CuriousPrimate
Raven
Raven

04 Feb 2006, 3:41 pm

The Time Machine (2002) staring Guy Pearce (based on the HG Wells story)

Any of the Dr Who programs - most are available on DVD including the recent re-vamp of the series.

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2006, 6:03 pm

I forgot about Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure and The Time Machine! I love Dr. Who; used to watch it all the time but where can I find it?

CuriousPrimate
Raven
Raven

05 Feb 2006, 4:54 am

I read somewhere that the new series of Dr Who will premiere in the US on the SCI-FI channel beginning on Friday 17 March at 9.00pm.

Older series can be bought at Amazon.com.

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2006, 9:40 pm

Thanks alot, people. You don't know how important this is since my son has limited and obsessive interests. It's very difficult to keep him happy. He's quite unimaginative and unconstructive with his free time. If he can't find anything to do, he complains incessantly!

Roybertito
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Feb 2006, 6:35 pm

Time travel?

Just remember safety is not guaranteed and that I have only done this once before. Bring your own weapon.

"And then push it to the limit."

No, but really, Back to The Future trilogy. Pure awesome.

"If you get the reference, GIR will hug you."

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2006, 12:32 am

I love Doc Emmet Brown!

PlatypusMan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Feb 2006, 2:18 am

Roybertito wrote:
Time travel?

Just remember safety is not guaranteed and that I have only done this once before. Bring your own weapon.

The only reference I'm picking up is the Invader Zim (quite a fine series *obsessed*) reference; if that one was intended.

danielcanberra
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Feb 2006, 7:25 am

Ah, one of my obsessions.

Timeline is interesting and a good intro to medievel france, although a bit violent.

Frequency is cool

Butterfly Effect is really interesting, though too much for a child

The Terminator (x3) is too violent for a child

Donnie Darko but even adults can't understand it

Peggy Sue Got Married is kinda chick-flicky

Quantum Leap (old TV series - now in box sets) is suitable for children and almost educational

The Time Machine (remake with Guy Pearce) is okay for children, but you might wish to vet first

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2006, 11:14 am

Hey, thanks for all of these suggestions. I was wondering about The Butterfly Effect and The Time Machine. The child is only twelve and it's hard to predetermine how things will effect him. He watched Timeline and liked it. But Somewhere in Time, a major chickflick, freaked him out all because of that scene where Chrisopher Reeves pulls a modern coin from his pocket and fades from the past while Jane Seymour screams. Go figure?

jstrewth
Toucan
Toucan

22 Feb 2006, 6:52 pm

My personal pick, and one that probably nobody will get: Time After Time, with Malcolm McDowell, David Warner, and Mary Steenburgen.

Basic plot: In 1890s London, Jack the Ripper uses H.G. Wells' time machine to escape Scotland Yard's best and Wells follows him to 1979 San Francisco to capture him.

Great movie, and a terrific premise to boot. Your kid will love it.

BladeX
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Feb 2006, 10:51 pm

Roybertito wrote:
Time travel?

I will pay you when we get back!

I can't really think of any other time travel movies besides what has been mentioned. I just wanted to say I LOVE the BTTF series and Quantum Leap!

PrisonerSix
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2006, 10:16 pm

H.G. Wells' classic "The Time Machine" should be at the top of the list. There was a film version made in 1960 with Rod Taylor that is fantastic.

Dr. Who has also been suggested already, and I second that. There are a couple of Star Trek episodes that deal with time travel, "City on the Edge of Forever," "Tomorrow is Yesterday," and "Assignment Earth," with "City on the Edge of Forever" being the best of them.

Good luck, and it's great you're encouraging your son's interests.

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2006, 10:30 pm

Thanks for the Star Trekk episodes. Our library has many of them but he's not interested in sci-fi, just time travel. Now I know which episodes to check out.
I'd like to find the 60s version of Time Machine. (library doesn't have it)
Dr. Who was one of my favorites!

My son's interests are so narrow, I'll do whatever I can to encourage him; hoping that something will open his mind. One thing leads to another. His love of Back to the Future sparked an interest in cars, specifically, the Delorean. I'm going to take him to the Ford Museum in Detroit this summer. There's a Delorean there.

Maybe I could get him to read the book, The Time Machine. It's worth a shot! He hates to read!

Thagomizer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2006, 3:04 am

You might also try Time Bandits, directed by Terry Gilliam (I think). It's supposed to be a kids movie, but it's dark and satirical, and when I first watched it (at the age of 10) I found the ending disturbing. But it's an imaginative and visually interesting fare.