Page 2 of 4 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Thagomizer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2006, 3:04 am

You might also try Time Bandits, directed by Terry Gilliam (I think). It's supposed to be a kids movie, but it's dark and satirical, and when I first watched it (at the age of 10) I found the ending disturbing. But it's an imaginative and visually interesting fare.

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2006, 12:55 pm

Thanks, Thagomizer. I've never heard of it. I'll preview it first, but sometimes I let him watch things that I wouldn't let some of my kids watch because he doesn't seem to be affected in the same way. It's also good for him to be challenged in some ways because he has a very restricted thought pattern.

PrisonerSix
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2006, 1:17 pm

Another movie that might be worth looking into is "Frequency." The story isn't necessarily about time travel, but it does deal with that topic. It tells the story of a police officer who finds his late father's ham radio gear stuffed in a closet and tries using it. During a major sunspot cycle, he is able to communicate back to the past with his dead father and the two of them team up to solve an old murder mystery.

It deals with alot of the topics time travel stories deal with, how changing a single event in the past can play out to a whole different present or future. You may want to watch it first, it does have some intense material in it. I saw it on TV so I'm sure it was edited, so I don't know what the uncut version is like. You know your child best, watch it first and then decide if he can handle it.

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

danielcanberra
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Feb 2006, 2:34 am

The remake of Lost in Space (movie version) had a very interesting time travel concept in it. Also very suitable for children.

Austin Powers in Goldmember goes back in time. Your kid may not understand the humour in it. But it is a yeah groovy baby movie.

The Philadelphia Experiment (1 and 2) about a warship going back in time is really interesting.

Of cause the old Planet of the Apes was about the astronauts travelling to the future.

A knight in Camelot (with Whoopi Goldberg) is Disney and very funny. Whoopi is so cool. She uses her modern knowledge to cope with being stuck in medievel England.

If I think of anymore, I'll let you know

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2006, 10:12 am

Thanks, Danielcamberra. I've read the Philadelphia Experiment. It was freaky! I've never heard of A Knight in Camelot and I'd forgotten about Planet of the Apes.

My son watched Timeline and wasn't too impressed. I think it was too intense with violence for him.

V111
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Feb 2006, 2:33 pm

yes there are 458 films and or tv shows that have time travel as a theme both the only theme and 1 or more show that has time travel in it.
http://us.imdb.com/keyword/time-travel/

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2006, 11:14 pm

I'd recommend Donnie Darko.

It's a great film, though difficult to understand. It's not "clean" (there's a LOT of profanity, hence the R rating), but it the violence is minimal and there's no nudity that I can think of. There are some pretty creepy moments, though. But come on, this kid's 12 years old. Chances are he hears much more profanity at school than anyone could fit into a film. (Well, that's how middle school was for me...) Personally, I think watching some slightly more mature films would be good for him, so that he would be desensitized--just a little bit at a time.

With that in mind, I don't think age 12 is QUITE ready for "Butterfly Effect." It's a good film, but it's very disturbing and messed up beyond belief--everything from pedophilia, to dynamite 'splosions making people lose limbs, to evil kids, to mental institudes, to prostitutes. A very mature (and desensitized) 12 year old could probably handle it but in most cases I'd wait a few years, until he's around 15. However, since everybody matures differently this isn't set in stone, at all.

Since I don't know him personally, I could be totally wrong about all of this.

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2006, 11:31 pm

V111, thanks for the link.

Veresae, thank you very much for the reviews! That's important.

Assassin
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2006, 6:58 am

I actually wouldnt say the Terminator films were too violent.

Also, Dr Who is almost certainly the greatest time travel series possible.

Some episodes of Stargate?

EDIT: Sons of Earth also involves some time travel behind the scenes, which I wont speculate on because this is one of the biggest twists of the series. However, as you can see from my sig, its also a work in progress.

<a href=http://s13.invisionfree.com/the_project>Project Legacy, building the future</a>

Last edited by Assassin on 03 Mar 2006, 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Morlock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Mar 2006, 9:47 pm

Assassin wrote:

EDIT: Sons of Earth also involves some time travel behind the screens, which I wont speculate on because this is one of the biggest twists of the series. However, as you can see from my sig, its also a work in progress.

You took the words from my mouth with Stargate. The episodes from SG-1 that I can think of are 1969, 2010, and Window of Opportunity. Before I Sleep is a great episode of Stargate Atlantis, but you have to at least see the pilot to understand it.

oh, not to mention every other episode of Star Trek: Voyager (not necessarily a bad thing).From DS9 there's Past Tense and Children of Time, both very good in my opinion.

No Human who has even heard of Star Trek should be denied the opportunity to see First Contact.

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2006, 10:18 am

Morlock, thanx for the specifics on the Star Trek Voyager episodes. That saves me alot of hassle trying to find out which ones are about time travel.

Assassin
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2006, 1:25 pm

Morlock wrote:
Assassin wrote:

EDIT: Sons of Earth also involves some time travel behind the screens, which I wont speculate on because this is one of the biggest twists of the series. However, as you can see from my sig, its also a work in progress.

You took the words from my mouth with Stargate. The episodes from SG-1 that I can think of are 1969, 2010, and Window of Opportunity.

Its also a recurring theme throughout Season 8.

<a href=http://s13.invisionfree.com/the_project>Project Legacy, building the future</a>

Morlock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Mar 2006, 2:07 pm

Bland wrote:
Morlock, thanx for the specifics on the Star Trek Voyager episodes. That saves me alot of hassle trying to find out which ones are about time travel.

Well, DS9 is Deep Space Nine, not Voyager. I actually never watched much Voyager.

Morlock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Mar 2006, 2:13 pm

SPOILER ALERT

The SG-1 episode 2010 also has a wierd follow-up called 2001. Since Carter altered the timeline by warning them not to go to the place where they would meet they Aschen, they don't even hear of them (or that they're bad guys) until they go to another place where they are, a planet which was enslaved in the past, with the same methods they were using on Earth in 2010, and they must avert their extermination of Earth. A very good episode.

Last edited by Morlock on 03 Mar 2006, 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Assassin
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2006, 2:53 pm

Morlock wrote:
Bland wrote:

Well, DS9 is Deep Space Nine, not Voyager. I actually never watched much Voyager.

I never watched much Star Trek at all (im sorry, but the fites just look SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO fake :roll: ) but most of what I HAVE seen is probably Voyager :P

Quote:
The SG-1 episode 2010 also has a wierd follow-up called 2001. Since Carter altered the timeline by warning them not to go to the place where they would meet they Aschen, they don't even hear of them (or that they're bad guys) until they go to another place where they are, a planet which was enslaved in the past, with the same methods they were using on Earth in 2010, and they must avert their extermination of Earth. A very good episode.

Spoileriffic ¬_¬