Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

bonez
Toucan
Toucan

27 Sep 2009, 9:02 am

What do u do about insomnia? I already have chronic insomnia before i start taking stimulants for adhd next week. Is it even possible to safely take medication for insomnia while on stimulants?

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2009, 9:18 am

My body has a paradoxical reaction to stimulants, i.e. speed makes me sleepy. I take Strattera because I developed tics with Ritalin. It helps but is not a panacea. I still have trouble with executive functioning.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2009, 9:44 am

I'm on Adderall, and it doesn't actually make me sleepy, but I sleep better being on it then I did before I took it. I still usually take benadryl to sleep, but that's mainly because I don't, um, know how to sleep. There's something about the whole process of how one relaxes to fall asleep that I've just never figured out. The adderall didn't increase the problem at all, though, it actually helped some. Maybe just 'cause my mind isn't so all over the place.

jelibean
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2009, 12:04 pm

Yup I am diagnosed with ADHD as are 2 of my kids.......we did all the Ritalin, Concerta, Risperidal, Equi whatver its' called and eventually ended up on Phosphatidyl Serine (amino acid)....PERFECTLY NATURAL AND works much better than any of the stimulants we have tried. This is what we usehttp://www.vitacost.com/Source-Natur ... ne-Complex , I have researched it until I am blue in the face so if anyone wants any specific information do pm me, would be happy to help. Only contraindications seem to be if you have an existing blood coagulation problem or are taking warfarin or heparin, PS does have a slight blood thinning property!

It is short acting, kicking into the system within 20 mins and lasting for about 4hrs before you need to top up on it. There has been tons of academic research on it so just google it....Dr Kyl Smith is an expert, he is on youtube.

I have known PS help many with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Fibromyalgia also are benefiting.
Anyway that is our experience!!
Good luck :D

MrVulcan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Sep 2009, 5:10 pm

I don't have any H, just ADD, and I'm taking 18mg Concerta. I used to take 36mg at one of my previous jobs, but there's no way I could take it here where the office temperature rarely goes below 24C! :(

As long as you take it first thing in the morning, you should be OK. If you take it too late, it won't wear off by the time you go to bed, which is why I don't take any on the weekend, so I can sleep in.

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2009, 6:18 pm

i take ritalin for my meltdowns even i dont have adhd :P

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2009, 6:23 pm

It dosn't usually wake me up at all. When I first got onto it, I expected that it would, and more than once I missed class 'cause I figured that if I took my Adderall along with a cup of coffee, I'd be awake soon.. and then fall back asleep for another four hours.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2009, 7:57 pm

I never have trouble going to sleep on ADD meds.

I sure wish I could get another script.

They certainly make life a bit less grueling,.

Gingersnaps
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Sep 2009, 1:46 am

I have manic depressive tendencies and worry about typical stimulant drugs taking me over the edge.

Does anybody have any experience with older drugs like Neurontin and Topamax? Gary Amen who has done extensive research with ADHD recomends this for people with manic tendencies, but I can't find a local doctor willing to try it.

AMD
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Sep 2009, 7:46 am

My son has ADD and is on Focalin XR. He takes it only once in the morning. It gets him through the entire school day and he's off for the evening amd doesn't take it on the weekends or holidays. He has no trouble going to sleep and no side effects at all, really.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2009, 8:15 am

Gingersnaps wrote:
Does anybody have any experience with older drugs like Neurontin and Topamax? Gary Amen who has done extensive research with ADHD recomends this for people with manic tendencies, but I can't find a local doctor willing to try it.

I did not react well to Topamax AT ALL. I'm sure it helps some people, but it was a bad, bad drug for me.
My father's psychiatrist says that it makes you "skinny and stupid."