Splitting/Idealization-Devaluation 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Dissociation 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Dissociation 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 62

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2006, 3:48 pm

If you had to say one coping mechanism defined how you manage stress, what would it be?

• Intellectualization/Rationalization: Treating emotional problems solely from the standpoint of reason
  • Repression: Remaining unaware of strongly felt emotions
  • Denial: Rejecting the reality of a problem and treating all distressing information as untrue
  • "Undoing" ("Making up For"): Trying to do something good or apologize to make up for the wrong done unto others (alleviates guilt)
  • Fantasy/Withdrawal: Avoiding the presence of others and instead turning to working out emotional problems through imagination
  • Acting Out: Directly releasing the impulses stemming from strong emotions
  • Sublimation: Suppressing the immediate impulse to release a strong emotion negatively and instead turning it into something better (sadness as art or poetry; aggression as athletics; etc.)
  • Suppression: Consciously trying to keep overwhelming emotions in
  • Displacement: Taking out aggression on people or things other than the real cause
  • Grandiosity/Arrogance: Thinking you are better than everyone else and treating others with contempt
  • Projection: Pushing insight out onto others by saying or believing things about them that are actually true about yourself
  • Splitting/Idealization-Devaluation: Treating things as either all good or all bad, often vascillating between the two extremes with no median
  • Dissociation: Separating emotions, intellect, and different levels of awareness

Sorce
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2006, 3:53 pm

Just recently I've noticed how much more I've been hanging out in my head lately. Thinking things through or daydreaming always makes me feel better.

sparkplugloy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Feb 2006, 4:25 pm

I would vote for :
Suppression: Consciously trying to keep overwhelming emotions in
Intellectualization/Rationalization: Treating emotional problems solely from the standpoint of reason

They perfectly describe what I do.
I noticed that my tendancy to stim has been increasing lately.

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2006, 5:21 pm

Coping mechanisms yes, but emotions aren't the principle things I have to cope with. Not by a long shot. I don't tend to find emotions out of control, merely largely unhelpful. If you insist I have them but don't recognise them, I suppose that would count as repression.

I was incomprehending, and not a little afraid, at Princess Diana's funeral, and at people over-reacting (by my estimation) to a whole raft of events.
Why can't they just be rational about things?

Intellectualization:
Withdrawal:

remain, however my main tools.
If the game isn't, after thought, worth the effort I won't bother to participate.

hecate
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2006, 7:14 pm

i find that denial works for me pretty well. 8)

Tashie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Feb 2006, 7:29 pm

I vvoted fantasy/withdrawl but also use sublimation very successfully too.
I usually go out and do some hard exercise, and that destresses me enough to think
but if I can't exercise then I retreat into fantasy, and that is more often

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2006, 9:29 pm

Generally, I just act like Mr. Spock: I analyze feelings rationally, as if I'm standing far away, observing the biological and neurological reactions of the human body to outside stimuli.

I do notice you didn't include various self-injurious behaviors, such as drug/alcohol use (well, alcohol is only injurious if you're using it to cover up your feelings, but you know what I mean) as coping mechanisms. They are, of course, dysfunctional coping mechanisms, but they do exist.

My own "coping mechanism" of last resort--ashamed as I am of it is something like this. generally involves deliberately injuring myself... not badly, of course; just scratches, enough to hurt a little. I don't know why it works; it must be the endorphins that your body releases when you are hurt. Still, such self-injury is getting quite common, especially among people in my own age bracket (22 years old) and younger. Personally, I discovered the calming effects of self-injury at around the age of five or six; but from what I have seen, it seems to be more common during the teenage years.

Do be nice to me, though, and don't use the words "sick", "angsty", or "attention whore", or "weirdo" in your reply if you comment.... thanks.

aprillove
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Feb 2006, 10:22 pm

i put withrawal/fantasy because i escape into worlds in my head, but the therapists have all labeled that dissociation.
april

DivaD
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2006, 10:24 pm

my preferred -ation for dealing with stress doesn't seem to be in the list :oops:

hecate wrote:
i find that denial works for me pretty well. 8)

no it doesn't!! ! :P

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2006, 1:02 am

Callista wrote:
Generally, I just act like Mr. Spock: I analyze feelings rationally, as if I'm standing far away, observing the biological and neurological reactions of the human body to outside stimuli.

That's how my mother described me to new teachers every school year, and to her friends when they wondered about me. She didn't use those cool words, though. I loved what she said: "She's like Spock. Smart, but analytical, like her father. And if you ask her about (whatever it was I was interested in at the time) she'll sound like a little Ph.D candidate or college professor." (Why we didn't figure out about AS until a decade or so later is beyond me...) :roll:

I also have a bad habit of denial. I tend to believe that if I ignore something, it doesn't exist. I'm told that is irrational, but I still do it anyway. The same thing with displacement.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2006, 10:18 am

Suppression, but I suck at it.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2006, 2:11 pm

Callista wrote:
My own "coping mechanism" of last resort--ashamed as I am of it is something like this. generally involves deliberately injuring myself... not badly, of course; just scratches, enough to hurt a little. I don't know why it works; it must be the endorphins that your body releases when you are hurt.

Oh yes, I forgot addictions and compulsions! I myself have an unfortunate tendency to engage in overeating when I'm bored, and I've had other negative compulsions as well.

worsedale
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Feb 2006, 2:34 pm

When I act on it my coping mechanism seems a rationalisation. But given that it often involves idealisattion as well, I don'tknow how I can afford it the accolades of a logical choice. It seems just a lie. :cry:

Naman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Feb 2006, 6:59 pm

Woot for fantasy/withdrawl! I never gave up my imaginary friend from youth, and it's nice to have someone to hold onto when feeling like you're slipping away, even if that someone is only in your mind. I look at it this way: which is more unhealthy? Having an imaginary friend that does not interfere at all with one's interactions with society, aside from making one feel happier and more confident, or having to find some other way to cope with the bad things in life?

CRACK
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2006, 8:22 pm

fantasy/withdrawal

I rely on that coping mechanism nearly 24/7

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2006, 1:18 pm

get depressed, cry, and have a good moan to anyone who'll listen. Then listen to music, sleep, and stop thinking about it wherever possible (I suppose that's possibly a form of denial.)