Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

am_suomi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Sep 2009, 6:15 pm

Just had an incident while working! Writing a report...."Mr. X returned to work in mid 2008 but recently died during the first week of March 2009 of a heart ATTACH while snowmobiling."

The word ATTACK was written in front of me (I was copying some notes), I know bloody well it was a heart ATTACK, yet I write ATTACH? Even stranger is that usually I have good spelling, when I'm actually thinking about it.

I will have to look up this Professor Spooner.

Sati
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2009, 6:35 pm

Definitely.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2009, 7:19 pm

That's certainly the case NOW.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2009, 7:34 pm

am_suomi wrote:
... when my boss comes into my office to ask for an update on a project or to ask a question, I sound like a blubbering fool, even if I know the answer. I just can't seem to get it out right. And then when trying to get it out I will mix up words, either out of order, or combine sounds from words and talking talking gibberish (I would say something like "galking tibberish" or I would do something like use the word sword instead of sound.)

I do not have an office, but yes, I do that too ... and I think the problem is that I cannot set details aside and just summarize. I always want/need/have to tell how we got to where we are either before or while reporting where we are now, then I must add at least something about where we are going (or at least might be) and how we can/might get there.

Last week one day I went to the boss to apologize for having demanded too much of his time in that kind of way just a few days earlier, and I was shocked when he said, "When you say [something] works, that is good enough for me."

I understand he does not have time for hearing all the details, but I cannot imagine how he can sleep at night without knowing them!

racooneyes
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Sep 2009, 7:41 pm

am_suomi wrote:
The word ATTACK was written in front of me (I was copying some notes), I know bloody well it was a heart ATTACK, yet I write ATTACH? Even stranger is that usually I have good spelling, when I'm actually thinking about it.

Do you ever do that when reading? i'm always seeing words that aren't there but are similar to what's there. only for a split second but sometimes it's almost every time I look at the same words. good example would be thread titles here I see '25 to life for killer dog' when it's actually '25 to life for killing dog' and i have to read it twice to make sure. It's always very small details like that, a word missing or changed slightly. very strange

rmnds m f hw w cn rd wrds wtht vwls. i think it might be related to that phenomena somehow

get all confused and then mix up the dates.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2009, 8:48 pm

leejosepho wrote:

Quote:
and I think the problem is that I cannot set details aside and just summarize. I always want/need/have to tell how we got to where we are either before or while reporting where we are now, then I must add at least something about where we are going (or at least might be) and how we can/might get there.

That very much describes me! I don't know why I feel like if I tell an anecdote about my stepbrother I have to qualify that our parents married late in life and we weren't raised together even though it doesn't pertain to the story at all. Remember Mr. Kimball in Green Acres?

Nightsun
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2009, 4:54 am

Only if I talk with average people because they can't follow my brain line. The problem is gone down while growing up, a good way is looking at books with authors who have similar ideas to yours and grab their words to explain your though to people.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2009, 4:57 am

Nightsun wrote:

Quote:
a good way is looking at books with authors who have similar ideas to yours and grab their words to explain your though to people.

Good point, but what I'm talking about is not being able to access those words when you need them.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2009, 5:10 am

Aimless wrote:
leejosepho wrote:

Quote:
and I think the problem is that I cannot set details aside and just summarize. I always want/need/have to tell how we got to where we are either before or while reporting where we are now, then I must add at least something about where we are going (or at least might be) and how we can/might get there.

That very much describes me! I don't know why I feel like if I tell an anecdote about my stepbrother I have to qualify that our parents married late in life and we weren't raised together even though it doesn't pertain to the story at all. Remember Mr. Kimball in Green Acres?

Ah, yes!

Nightsun
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2009, 5:37 am

Aimless wrote:
Good point, but what I'm talking about is not being able to access those words when you need them.

Post it on your books (I think I've more book than an average library), use a paper book with "usable sentences" organized by argument.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2009, 6:06 am

You are apparently one who does not have this problem. If you read some of the previous comments you will know what I mean. Well, here's an example:

Murasame wrote:

Quote:
But when it comes to actually doing so my brain somehow disengages and instead of delivering a clear, confident statement I usually just end up mumbling something incoherent or incomplete. This makes it look like I haven't got a clue what I'm talking about, even though I often know more about the subject than the person I'm speaking to.

What I mean by not being able to access the words is sort a brain to mouth disconnection, usually caused by anxiety. I'd be fine if I could carry around a laptop or a book with me

Nightsun
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2009, 8:01 am

I can understand you (but probably my problem is lesser than yours), my life is full of:
"let's wait a minute, I've prepared a slide for it" or "wait let me open my notebook" or things like that, usually people don't think I'm stupid because I avoid talking about a subject and then I'll send them a 10-page long e-mail (this was one of my main problem at school with oral interrogations, but fortunatelly I was able to convince my professor to make me write or find things on books, it was also a problem, but less, at university, but not a problem in everyday life, sometimes people make fun of this because i use to say "I've read an article about it, let me search it on the net for you", but they don't think I'm dumb for it, they call me "google", and many times they apreciate it).