Has anyone went through the job rehabilitation thing?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2009, 5:56 pm

Where the state helps you find a job. A nice WP member linked me to my states system and just did an interview and was told call back in 2 weeks (Hoping to get a job before Thanksgiving at the latest before Halloween would be awesome!) I know every state is different but I was curious how long and what kind of job did you get (I know it depends on your limitations physical/psychological aswell. :-) I was told she'd start working on Category 2 next month (out of 3 categories I'm 100% #2 due to SSI maybe #1 due to all my disabilities. I hope I can get more money coming in!! !!) :-)

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2009, 6:03 pm

The state of California dumped me on a nonprofit corporation that employs developmentally challenged people to make boxes. (We're talking Down syndrome, IQ of 40 types.) They evaluated me and determined that I couldn't be employed by them because I was too high functioning. So they gave me a web site address leading to a cheap job board and told me to find my own job. I gave them a nice hearty f*ck you back. After that I enrolled in trade school.

28 Sep 2009, 7:15 pm

The place I went through took me two months because my medical records were too old they said and they wanted to get information about my condition from Social Security because I was on it. But they take so dang long and they wouldn't contact my health clinic for the information. Turns out they have contacted them but they never sent them anything so it was a good thing I got my list of current conditions from them and mailed them in but it had to be signed so I had to ask for another copy and this time they signed it and I faxed it this time. I did all this when I had to go for the procedure and all.
It sped things up so now I am in class now for the job and then it will be training and then employment. I don't know if I will be put on the waiting list for training and for jobs because they say the jobs are not gaurenteed. I am hoping I will get a job and start making money again instead of working only sometimes.

This place takes anyone I think, they even take people with ADD and deaf people, they took my husband also and he is brain damaged. But right now all they have is janitorial and the rules are strict, you have to be all groomed and cleaned, no music, you must be on time and must show up for work, no wrinkles in your work shirt, you must be able to be on your feet all day and lift and bend, follow instructions, etc. That's what the classes are about I'm in. They also want to see how fit we be and what we can and can't do. So this place might not work for everyone if they are unable to show up to work or be on time or don't want to be all clean and stuff.

Katie_WPG
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Oct 2009, 9:53 pm

I personally haven't, but my boyfriend (ADHD/ODD/ unspecified communication disorder) has had experience with the educational side of voc rehab in Canada.

They paid for his course, textbook, and tutoring hours. However, they have a tendency to pigeon-hole people. He only had a choice of culinary arts, or production arts. If I were to go there, they would probably tell me that my only choices were engineering or computer science. And yet, I've done just fine in Business school.

The employment side tends to be more dismal, from what I've heard. If you've been injured, they tend to be much nicer to you in terms of job opportunities than people who are labelled with a "mental disorder". People in the latter category are forwarded to the jobs that are either unpaid or sub-minimum wage. And they pretend that they're doing you a favour by giving you $3/hour to lick envelopes.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 9:03 am

I want a regular minimum wage job atleast SHEESH! :-)

Khandri
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Oct 2009, 3:18 pm

I've been through it. The first time around, they deferred me to a local organisation that's supposed to help disabled people find work. Unfortunately, they don't seem to understand people on the autism spectrum very well (they're more used to working with much lower-functioning/"ret*d" individuals), and they put me into the worst possible job imaginable for someone with AS--retail. I accepted it because at the time, it was steady work and steady pay, and the manager was willing to accommodate me as much as possible. But even with a very tolerant and understanding manager, it gradually took its toll on me, and when we went back to the DVR and the aforementioned organisation saying that it wasn't working out, they were confused. I was working, and that's all that mattered to them, even though it was a terrible fit, and my DVR case was considered closed as a result. Gee...you don't understand why someone with social difficulties would be having issues with a job that involves excessive social interaction, bullying and intimidation from customers, and all sorts of sensory overload? Some help you are. I finally quit that job a few weeks ago after three years there before it sent me off the deep end.

So because of the initial troubles we were having, we went back to the DVR to reapply for services, and specifically told them to assign me a different organisation that "gets" me and my limitations better and to not offer me anything even close to retail or that involves interaction with the public. So far, they do seem to get me a lot better, but they have yet to find me anything that's suited to my needs. They've been terrible about keeping in touch with me, and I'm feeling frustrated about that. It's like I just can't win sometimes.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 6:38 pm

Well my first regular job (not DVR) was Mcdonalds Janitor type duty (cleaning/mopping/trash etc.) I mention this and with my knee issue they wouldn't go the janitor route (IMO cleaning a bathroom rarely fine making it my job NO THANKS! She talked to my mom something either about having an assistant or being one not sure which today was the 2 week mark since the meeting (she talked to my mom Friday) and she told me today I'm still on the waiting list I hope to call back in 2 weeks for a 2nd update IMO I hope for something before Thanksgiving!! ! :-)