Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2009, 2:06 pm

Soccer is pretty OK. i stay on defense and can just focus on one thing- keeping the ball away. but basketball is something else!
to begin with i dislike the sport, nothing about it is fun to me, at all. then im clumsy, have awful aim, and cant seem to get into team mode. my brain just sorta gets extra detached, i can only focus on one thing at a time. and the sun is really blinding, it makes for an even harder environment to concentrate it, and i'm always afraid i cant see the ball and will get hit by it.
and to make things worse, i am very clumsy at copying the moves and stuff, i SUCK at it. and i'm of course always picked last, and no one ever throws the ball to me. :( (which is preferable, but still.....it reminds me that i fail).

anyone else have a similar problem with team sports??? i dont like it!! !! :(

am_suomi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Sep 2009, 3:36 pm

My least favourite is volleyball. I found with basketball and football (soccer) at least things were always moving. I'm also better in a sport where I can just focus on taking the ball away from someone and maybe kicking it out of bounds.

Volleyball was very painful for me. Each time I messed up, it would end in a point for the other team (because I missed the ball or hit it out of bounds). At least in soccer if I messed up, 99% of the time it wouldn't end up in a point. While the scores are lower in soccer, volleyball just made me so self-conscious of my frequent mistakes. And then people always change from their intial position to somewhere else on the court, i found the girls who played are generally really loud, and there is all kinds of phony high fives/bum slaps after every play which I could never be a part of. I always felt detached from whatever team I was on...

My knees are so bad now, from surgeries, that I can't play volleyball, basketball or soccer/football so at least I'm safe there!

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2009, 3:44 pm

I always found it impossible to play team sports unless with close family. Playing with family, I discovered I was an aggressive competitor and didn't let the rules stop me (not that I really knew them).