Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Are you a mentalist? (understanding is different from agree or accept)
Actually I completly don't understand people 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
I understand people as an NT nowaday 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Sometime I understand NT better than themselves 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
Sometime I understand NT better than themselves and make them doing what I want 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 5

Nightsun
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 8:23 am

First a disclamer: I don't want to offend anyone, I know that many autistic/HFA/Aspie obviously can't be in this category (if you have great problem with NTs comunication) but I only want to know if it's "so strange" for an Aspie. I'm not doing "showing up" or my ... is bigger or anything like that, I'm just curious.

Second a second disclaimer: "hating" people / social event / talking etc. it's different than not being able to (sometimes different).

That's why I was asking for that: yesterday evening I was watching on TV The Mentalist with my wife and she said that the protagonist was pretty similar to me.
Actually it really resemble me in the way I approach people. Due to my great problem with socializing/understanding NT behaviours etc.. when I was young I started at around 14-15 years old to "study" them. With studing I mean trying pretty different approach (I used to travel a lot for studying or simply changing my home so I had the chance to start-everything again a lot of times) and I have read a lot of books / scientific essay on the subject (with a lot I mean I was "obsessed" with it) about social rule /society/eye contact/body language and the like and trained myself to mimic some of those aspect (what I never understood was how to smile but it doesn't matter).

Obviously I didn't learn to read mind or anything like that but I'm able to manipulate them (only NT typical minds). That was a sort of self-defensive attitude to avoid bullying at the begining but given enough time I have perfectioned it so much that now I'm usually better than many NT to understand theirselves and manipulate them in order to achiv what I want (nothing bad usually but I'm pretty able to make people unable to do bad things).

So is there anyone who have "taken advantage" of his inability to "naturally" understand people to the extent of being more able to understand (and manipulate) people mind than a "usual" guy. Not with "empathy" but with "brain"?

Something I really noted is that usually NTs doesn't act "rationally" also for their standard, showing up to them hidden partner of their behavior or simply a logical deduction make them really insecure and malleable.