Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 4:59 pm

Quote:
Okay, dramatic reveals don't work so well in text.

:lmao:

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 5:30 pm

For me, retro refers to those heady days of DOS games...

Games like Ultima V: Warriors of Destiny where you couldn't last more than 5 minutes from the start without getting yourself incurably poisoned (because you hadn't been to a shop where you could buy an antidote) and where a fight against 7 orcs could take 20 minutes due to the amazing chess style one-step-at-a-time battle system.

Games like King's Quest I and II where you had to be careful where you walked in case a witch jumped out at you and killed you instantly... and where you had to proceed through Dracula's poison thorn forest one-step-at-a-time and hope that you hadn't forgotten to slow the speed down.

Then there were actioners like Duke Nukem... not that newfangled 3D stuff. I'm talking about the the side-scrollers, Captain Comic and Commander Keen.

Not to forget TSR's like IBM Cats where you had to reboot your computer after the game because there was no Quit.

Then there were flight simulators like Stealth F-19 (before F-117) which was based almost entirely on design guesswork and where your superiors told you off for bombing the US airbases which were more accessible (less flying to do), instead of the enemy ones.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 5:37 pm

I have all the emulators.

I had all the consoles except TurboGrafx-16.

X_Parasite
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 5:45 pm

Ah, yes, the Ultima games...

Okay, I've only played the fourth one.
And not all the way through.
But upon looking at the map, I thought, "Yeah, I can actually read the runic inscriptions... Without looking the symbols up.".
I wonder... Is that particularly nerdy? Or how about the fact that I decided to take notes throughout the game written in Old English in futhorc runes.

What? It helps the mood of the game.

Oh, and do battles in Ultima V go differently? I find the ones in Ultima IV to be rather fast-paced (because that's how I've been playing them), in fact, most battles with rogues at sea devolve into chasing them around in an attempt to get a clear shot at them. Essentially, it's like watching a Benny Hill sketch.

Skilpadde
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Oct 2009, 11:20 am

NES
SNES
N64
Gamecube
(Wii)

Gameboy Color (I sold my old original GB, it was so heavy to play once I got used to the others, and also my old GB Pocket; I have some old GB games, though)
GBA
Gameboy SP
(DS)

PS 1, 2 & 3 (2 + 3 technically not mine)
(PSP)

Amiga 32 bit CD rom (technically not mine)

We had C64, but I think my father got rid of it.

Wisguy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2009, 11:50 am

gbollard wrote:
For me, retro refers to those heady days of DOS games...

Games like Ultima V: Warriors of Destiny where you couldn't last more than 5 minutes from the start without getting yourself incurably poisoned (because you hadn't been to a shop where you could buy an antidote) and where a fight against 7 orcs could take 20 minutes due to the amazing chess style one-step-at-a-time battle system.

Games like King's Quest I and II where you had to be careful where you walked in case a witch jumped out at you and killed you instantly... and where you had to proceed through Dracula's poison thorn forest one-step-at-a-time and hope that you hadn't forgotten to slow the speed down.

Then there were actioners like Duke Nukem... not that newfangled 3D stuff. I'm talking about the the side-scrollers, Captain Comic and Commander Keen.

Not to forget TSR's like IBM Cats where you had to reboot your computer after the game because there was no Quit.

Then there were flight simulators like Stealth F-19 (before F-117) which was based almost entirely on design guesswork and where your superiors told you off for bombing the US airbases which were more accessible (less flying to do), instead of the enemy ones.

Or going back even farther, those BASIC-coded 'no graphics' game programs from the very late 1970s, such as the famous text-based Star Trek game?

8)

Mike

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 6:50 am

I've been playing "Firetrack" (the sideways RAM enhanced version) on a BBC B+ emulator a lot, recently. It's a vertically scrolling shmup; it was an amazing technical tour de force for its time.

It's also extremely difficult. There aren't many different types of enemy (about ten), and they all move in predictable ways, but the way they are combined gets insanely complicated once you pass the first few levels. The later levels are heading towards Nintendo Hard as enemy ships can move up to about a tenth of the screen width between screen updates, making them difficult to avoid and you die with one collision. 8O I used the emulator to run the game at half speed, just to see what it was like, and it's still very hard on the highest level (about 15/16, counting each stage) I can get to without slowing it down!

The year is still young.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 1:47 pm

Ambivalence wrote:
The later levels are heading towards Nintendo Hard...

Better Nintendo Hard than Sega Hard :x

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 5:02 pm

gbollard wrote:
XBox... Classic? Retro?

I dunno... I like the old PC stuff... The Sierra games and... Alley Cat.

I don't remember that one.

Slipperman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Oct 2009, 8:24 pm

I once owned an Atari 5200, as well as the NES and Super NES. All of them have games that I still think are pretty cool.

I still play some of the Atari arcade games on my PC (Especially Centipede, on which I often get six-digit scores in :) )

Tim (aka the Slipperman)

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2009, 2:43 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
gbollard wrote:
XBox... Classic? Retro?

I dunno... I like the old PC stuff... The Sierra games and... Alley Cat.

I don't remember that one.

On a whim I downloaded it and had a go. It works really well in DOSBox, which you might be able to run on a mac too.

anyway the URL is: http://www.80sdos.com/alleycat.php

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2009, 3:58 pm

EnglishInvader wrote:
I also have about two dozen emulators on my laptop for various systems.

What emulators do you recommend? I have VisualBoy Advance for GBA, No$GBA for DS, and Project 64 for N64. I'd like to hear what emulators you have.

EnglishInvader
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2009, 5:20 pm

pat2rome wrote:
EnglishInvader wrote:
I also have about two dozen emulators on my laptop for various systems.

What emulators do you recommend? I have VisualBoy Advance for GBA, No$GBA for DS, and Project 64 for N64. I'd like to hear what emulators you have.

VICE (emulates Commodore PET, VIC 20, C64, C128 and Plus 4)
Kega Fusion (Sega emulator -- emulates SG1000, Master System, Mega Drive, Game Gear, 32X and Mega CD)
Meka (Sega 8 Bit emulator)
The Steem Engine (Atari ST)
Stella (Atari 2600)
Handy (Atari Lynx)
UAE (a highly complex Amiga emulator that I find impossible to operate!)
zx32 (Spectrum emulator)
NesTen (and about five other NES emulators that I can't remember offhand!)
SNES emulator (Can't remember the name)
VisualBoy Advance
BBC Micro emulator (Can't remember the name)
IMSAI 8080 emulator (this is the computer Matthew Broderick used in War Games)

Celtic_Frost
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Oct 2009, 5:31 am

I don't do much in terms of retro gaming, but Transport Tycoon Deluxe from 1995 is a pretty badass game!

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2009, 3:01 pm

I dunno if this is old enough to count as "retro," probably not, but I like the sprite-based graphics in the third generation of Pokemon games (on the GBA) better than the graphics in the DS games.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2009, 8:02 pm

just completed the cult BBC game Citadel tonight 8)