How do you find ways to enjoy your job?

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 9:13 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
. . . I hope to try the just do your job part . . .

I recommend, just hold back a little bit.

'Did you see the Rockies' game yesterday?'

Brief, and you can then see if the other person is into baseball (assuming you're into baseball!)

I have also had some success bringing a book to work/school that I've already read some time ago and want to reread or skim or at least reread parts of. Now, I do have to censor myself somewhat in that the book is going to be judged initially on cover photo, cover caption, back caption, back text. Some success, somewhat of a conversation starter. I do have to guard against giving a whole dissertation on the book! And allow the conversation to unpredictable go from the book to any other subject under the Sun. I am still very much improving my social skills, and my appreciation skills (being open to appreciating others, they can be different, too, all that good stuff!)

All the Best! Good luck with all of your pursuits.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 11:57 am

' . . . happen to see the Rockies' game . . . '

Acknowledging that it's a little bit of a long shot. ' . . . happen to see . . . ' And if the person gamely expresses interest even though he or she didn't see the game.

'Well, Michael Harris* had a great hit in the 7th, when they really needed it [ either . or ! ]'

[don't fake it either way, allow it to come forth, and either way is fine, just slightly sculpt it in reponse to the person's obvious, non-subtle signs. And when the person is politely expressing interest even though he or she did not see it, that's an obvious sign]

'It was pretty good' [truncate and still stay positive]

Yeah, the person is being courteous and is being positive. Just don't go on too long. (please keep in mind that I am mainly preaching to myself)

(*fictious name. I only follow baseball loosely!)

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 1:51 pm

Great tips knowing me I'd give a dissertation on the book LOL! I remember telling my dad about the Twilight series and he was like so you just finished reading it I said no I read it months ago LOL! (He wants to see New Moon in Nov.) I have an awesome memory and would go into Dissertation mode with a special interest (potter,Twilight etc.) I need to NOT do that. :-(