This is probably going to be a DUH moment

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

beetle812
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Oct 2009, 5:30 pm

But the name "Wrong Planet" and the little alien guy... well, it's perfect...Because....
When I was a kid I felt like an alien. I even had this little fantasy that I was really an alien and my "real" parents (aliens) would come back to get me someday.

That's how different I felt. That's how uncomfortable I was in the world.

I still feel that way. That I'm different from most people in a fundamental way. Except now I know that the aliens aren't coming back for me.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2009, 5:33 pm

My mom finds it absolutely hilarious, 'cause she decided I must be an alien before I was even born. :lol: :lol:

TheSpecialKid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Oct 2009, 5:58 pm

I though that everyone else was robots and I was the only real human left... :lol:

CanadianRose
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2009, 6:11 pm

I used to think that I was "ret*d"* in some way, and that my parents and teachers knew this, but were just not telling me to see if that would help matters. :o

* Note - I used to have these thoughts in the early 1980's, when I was a kid. I don't use the term "ret*d" anymore to refer to anyone with a developmental delay or difference of any type.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2009, 6:32 pm

I told someone in college I felt as if I wasn't human :x

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2009, 6:57 pm

Definitely had the feeling of being a 'kid apart'... now an adult apart.
Who ARE these people?! What happened to all the sane ones? :lol:

TheSpecialKid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Oct 2009, 7:10 pm

CanadianRose wrote:
I used to think that I was "ret*d"* in some way, and that my parents and teachers knew this, but were just not telling me to see if that would help matters. :o

* Note - I used to have these thoughts in the early 1980's, when I was a kid. I don't use the term "ret*d" anymore to refer to anyone with a developmental delay or difference of any type.

I have it a little like that now. I think that my parents knows something that I don't...
I guess only time will show.

03 Oct 2009, 7:48 pm

I thought I was different just by how I was treated. I thought I had to try harder and I can be good at things as everyone else and all I need is more friends and get more people to like me and I am normal. Other times I thought people were weird because they did things differently than me.

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2009, 7:48 pm

I don't think I've ever really wanted to be or felt 'human'. Now it's a tossup between feeling like a cat, and feeling like a Giant Robot™

Cassia
Toucan
Toucan

03 Oct 2009, 8:27 pm

I remember as a teenager feeling like I came from a different planet from everyone else... but in the other direction: I was from earth and everyone else was aliens. Mostly nice aliens, actually. But aliens none the less.

Now convinced that I'm a bit autistic, but still unsure if I'd qualify for a diagnosis, since it causes me few problems. Apparently people who are familiar with the autism spectrum can readily spot that I'm a bit autistic, though.

tommyg
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Oct 2009, 8:37 pm

I've had similar feelings, though I didn't really think of myself as an "alien", per se. I've always thought of myself as "special", though, and tried to find reasons to believe it. I don't mean "special" by the "special olympics" definition. I've actually got a master's degree in computer science, and am working on a PhD at the moment, so I'm certainly intelligent enough. I'm sure most people try to find reasons to believe they're special, though, so that's not really very unusual. I guess the concept I've most struggled to understand in life is "assimilation". Makes NT's sound like the Borg, eh? :P

I remember being perplexed by things like new students entering my school (it was small, so new students were a big deal) and being more accepted by the rest of the class several weeks into the year than I was, when I'd been there my entire life. It seemed vastly unfair, and I was a little jealous of them, but it didn't really cause me distress. If I'd known then what I know now, though, I probably would have been distressed. Ignorance is bliss, eh?

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2009, 8:37 pm

Cassia wrote:
I remember as a teenager feeling like I came from a different planet from everyone else... but in the other direction: I was from earth and everyone else was aliens. Mostly nice aliens, actually. But aliens none the less.

Yeah, that! ^^^
:D

acclue
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Oct 2009, 8:51 pm

yeah, I felt like this, but I always put it into the context of another plane of existence :P

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2009, 11:26 pm

It took me a very long time to admit that I was rather unusual compared with my peers. I went along for quite a while assuming that everyone else in the world was like me.

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2009, 5:55 am

I was certainly born on the wrong planet.

Nightsun
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2009, 11:23 am

TheSpecialKid wrote:
I though that everyone else was robots and I was the only real human left... :lol:

Many times.
Or also that I was an alien, or I was a genetic-experiment (my dad is a doctor), or that everybody was playing and one day I would have discovered everything (like "trueman show").