Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

hakemon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Oct 2009, 9:41 pm

CTBill wrote:
RE: engine problem

Thanks for the feedback! It sounds like you have a good handle on your situation, just need to find the time and $$$ to fix it.

I have an F-O-R-D (I don't speak Its name) with 4.6L V8 which has blown 4 out of the 8 original ignition coils now, #5 through #8, so I'm no stranger to misfires. (It has coil-on-plug design, so no distributor or secondary wiring.)

The worst was when two, #6 and #8, went simultaneously on I-80 in Pennsylvania during a road trip under high acceleration while passing a semi. I managed to go about another 50 miles, but finally had to pull over and limp in the breakdown lane to the nearest exit in a somewhat civilized place (Hazleton), and call AAA for tow from there. The computer was a mess from all the false signals (including engine overheat) that it was getting from the two failed coils arcing over into primary wiring sense lines, and just kept giving up and going into shutdown (stall).

Being an engineer who has dealt extensively with cabling and noise issues, I was not impressed by Ford's engineering at that point.

hakemon wrote:
PS: I'm FROM Massachusetts. ;) I never drove there, learned in Florida, but I do have the offensive driving required for New England use.

Good thing--we don't haz so many old people (read, "defensive drivers") up here. :D

Mine is a 350 LT1 Chevy Smallblock, 5.7L V8. Mine has only one coil. :P

CTBill
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2009, 10:15 pm

hakemon wrote:
Mine is a 350 LT1 Chevy Smallblock, 5.7L V8. Mine has only one coil. :P

350 is good, but 351 is better. :P

I had a roommate years ago (whom I now suspect may be on the spectrum) who was infatuated with 351 Clevelands.

He had a book describing and depicting their teardown and rebuild, and we spent many happy hours drinking and discussing such.

Which reminds me of my childhood (~4 years old), when my favorite book in the world was the 1968 "Motors" manual for Fords/Mercs/Lincolns that my uncle left at our house.

I was a weird kid, haha. :D

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2009, 11:43 pm

I couldn't hear the backfires, but even electronic timing can be altered. My experience with V8 engines is somewhat limited

hakemon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Oct 2009, 11:49 pm

Keith wrote:
I couldn't hear the backfires, but even electronic timing can be altered. My experience with V8 engines is somewhat limited

Look up OptiSpark distributor and PCM (it's not an ECM, there's some differences).

Quite a different beast. The computer controls timing and what it says is what it does.

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2009, 12:53 am

I have a 2 door 1995 Ford Explorer. :)

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2009, 9:38 am

opel astra 95- 1.6L F 4D

sewermouse
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Oct 2009, 5:43 pm

I'm too scared to drive. lol

79datsun
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Oct 2009, 10:22 pm

I drive ok. But sometimes It's really hard to keep it in my lane You may think I was drunk if you were behind me. I do tend to get sidetracked easy (looking at frames of my glasses,something on the floor,the car going the other way, ECT)
At some point I think I will post a link of my driving over here and see what you guys think.

Edit: And I drive a POS 1990 toyota truck.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2009, 2:22 pm

I can't drive at all.