Discrimination in Religion & Discrimination against Reli

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

sc
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2006, 1:18 am

Discrimination in Religion & Discrimination against Religion (The Polar Extremes)

Does anyone want to discuss this?

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2006, 1:21 am

I'm only intolerant of intolerant people.

That was intended to be ironic, but it is true to a degree. And i'm working on that. But that paradox makes the inside of my head look and sound unpleasent.

jdavis
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Feb 2006, 1:23 am

The moment religion starts interfering with my life I'm against it.

Unfortunately, religion as of late has given me a lot of reasons to be against it.

(Atheist, BTW)

k96822
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2006, 1:25 am

What is the definition of religion? Not the dictionary definition: the real definition. What is in our minds when we think of religion?

sc
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2006, 1:25 am

I think it is like me saying:

I hate bigots

I have also said:

The only thing to hate is hate itself.

But hating hate would depend upon the situation.

Hating another person for their (there) hate is as bad as the hate of the person.

I think that hate that is illogical, instead of emotionality of circumstance is consumptive, self-destructive and harmful to themselves and others.

sc
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2006, 3:12 am

What is the definition of religion? Not the dictionary definition: the real definition. What is in our minds when we think of religion?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

My generalized and overall opinion.

1. Religion, the compilation of ideological methodologies and beliefs. Utilizing psychological fear based philosophies to instill the fear of compliance. Though equally in some or more respects, instilling good characteristics in an individual if he or she can respects the individual rights, while doing the ultimate good.

2. Socio-psychopathology of the group to individual hyper-social methodologies in infixed emotes and patterns of behaviors.

A. Sociopathology of end times faith.
B. Terrorism and religion also religion against terrorism.

I would like to study terrorism, however I am not one to pick up a book. I like condensed fact sheets and getting to the point without the fluff or propagandas (exaggerations and ideological truth perversions).

.... I have known some wonderful and caring persons of belief, some over zealous like trying to get to much eye contact with me while energetically and with many body expressions talk about god.

I understand it differently, but honestly I think religion needs to listen to some common sense for the sake of man-kind.

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2006, 12:57 pm

To me people can believe pretty much whatever they want so long as they don't advocate hurting anyone - that is, so long as they let everyone else go on and believe whatever they want . . .
I say that and I always make point to be nice to missionaries because they tend to really get the raw end of the deal - like Mormon missionaries are usually sent as far as possible from home and given like $400 a month for two people . . .
I absoulately cannot stand Bible beating Christians - it is fine to say what you believe if it comes up and that is great - but the people who stand on street corners or preach fire and brimstone while you are in line at a concert (that happened to me - fortunately I was drunk at the time so I was just amused :lol: ) - they just irritate me to no end . . .

Ladysmokeater
Veteran
Veteran

Location: North of Atlanta, South of Boston, East of the Mississippi, and West of the Atlantic

06 Feb 2006, 10:28 pm

discrimination within religion exists. If I am understanding that end of the topic, then here is my rant. If not, please excuse my interpratation

Again the following is only my take on things and my experience on such:

I am, and was brought up a United Methodist. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Methodist ) for those that so not know, the United methodist Church makes up the second largest group of followers (acording to several websites) next to Southern Baptists. Ok that said, I do not agree with all things in the faith, nor do I expect to ever. We allow female preachers, and do not trun away anyone that wishes to be a member of any race, gender, etc. We also ordain female ministers. In the area that I hail from, the vast majority of my peers are Baptist. The Southern baptist convention DOES NOT ordain female ministers. (there are a few female baptist female preachers, however, they have been the center of much contriversy and some have been ousted) souther baptist is only one of the many "types" of baptist, so, please dont think im labeling everyone in one lump group. There are many others that do not allow females to be "religious leaders" and they quote one scripture after another to "defend" their stance. Women in some of these very very conservitive churches are literally kicked out if they divorce (the reason doesnt matter even if the man was abusive) and if they take jobs that are traditionally "male". independance of women in the religious sense, is a long and far from ending road that has been travled since the first bible was compiled. The thing that really gets me over people in today's time quoting obscure passages defending the limitations they put on women is that so many other passages on other things that "are and arent" right are looked over in a matter of convience. I have literally had a woman say infront of me (at a church) to her friend (after I was introduced by a member of our FD as one of the most highly trained member of the dept) that I was "going to hell for that". For being an independant female in a typically male job. I have been called a homosexual (for the record Im not) because of my job and because I wear pants not dresses to every church function I can (I dont even own a dress). Oh, and I have had others tell me that I was not "welcome" at their church if I wore pants, as women are supposed to wear dresses.
Discrimination within religion is there, its real, and it sucks.
religious groups also descriminate aginst those that have divorced, had children out of wedlock, and homosexuals. These SAME groups preach peace and understanding and acceptance. Well that is until its convienant.
The early church, way before they compiled the books of the Bible, often appriched religion in a veryequal manner. That is to say, the all male viewpoints werent church wide. Most people look at religion in a very one sided manner. that their way is the "only" way. Personally I dissagree. Although I am a Methodist, I believe, and this is way out of the relm of most christians, that no one religion is perfectly right. that no one religion is the only ticket to heaven.
My Christian peers shun me for that too.....

sc
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2006, 4:37 am

I do not know what to say...

If I was a member of any church that discriminated and I was more social. I would put internal polical pressures on key leadership until equality was all but an expectation.

PlatypusMan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Feb 2006, 11:35 am

I'm not quite sure how I was brought up (Pentacostal, Baptist, etc.). When I began developing my intellect, I began questioning the teachings of my church; my parents yelled at me for it :) . I decided to distance myself from any and all denominations and began to interpret the Bible for myself. I chose to oppose any discriminatory practices that are in the Bible and treat everyone as equals. Quite a few people have told me that I'm going to hell for that. Hell, my mom said I'll go to hell for even accepting homosexuality (BTW, me not gay).

Promote peace and understanding and go to hell?

I'd rather go hell than start a fight here.

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2006, 3:31 pm

Discrimination is a double edge sword for it cuts both ways. Discrimination also does not lend to itself to Understanding either. Discrimination is just Judgemental and is Blinded by its Judgemental-ism in the end.

For Myself I try very hard to Respect all views that I come across even when I do not really agree with their views in the end. This seems to be Hard for Some to Do.

It is nice to firmly believe in what You believe in but detrimental when You can not listen in the end and accept the other Person's Point of View in the end. That in the end in itself then is the beginning of Understanding and Acceptance of the Person.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2006, 4:25 pm

Religion- Serissa's definition: Something I never discuss in-depth on WP because I do not enjoy getting my head bitten off.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2006, 2:41 pm

Yes , discrimination DOES exist in religions .
I won't comment about christianity as i am not the best one here who knows about christianity but I would comment about my parent's religion : Islam .

While i was reading the Qur'aan I found many verses that are really disturbing and that show clear discrimination like the concept of the dhimmis (christians and jews in a muslim majority society -google it to know more) who must pay a special tax called jizya to the muslim rulers , and i found verses that calling for not being friends with jews-christians
for example :“O you who believe! Take not the Jews and the Christians as awliya’ (friends, protectors, helpers, etc.), they are but awliya’ to one another…Q.5: 51 "

And there s more verses that shows discrimination against women too.

Such things are taboo in my society , i tried to ask my mother,wich she is a genius math teacher, about these things that really annoyed me and despite her particular education/intelligence she yelled at me first .....but later she looked at me and told me a strange theory : " religions 's books are written by men so it 's no suprise to find some of their extremist ideas in these books including discrimination against other groups , there 's no way that God will impose on the world such unfair rules that contradict the divine justice " .

I was totally surprised and convinced .... surprised because i wasn't expecting to hear such thing from my mother who is the most religious family member and I was convinced because I totally agree .....religions are written by MEN.

PS :despite that my mother is NT : she s very social person , very good speaker as any teacher and she has no problem in expressin her motions and ideas ....but in deep she has unusual ideas and her unusual view on the world make me feel that my autism comes more from her side :roll: .......strange isnt it?

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2006, 4:02 pm

God is dead

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2006, 4:43 pm

^^ 8O

LePetitPrince
Veteran