Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 2:31 pm

I'm not sure whether I technically have 'executive dysfunction.' It MIGHT be on the diagnosis papers but I'll have to dig them out.

Me, I have a problem deciding what I want to do where it pertains to work or school. And when I mean work, I mean good paying work.

Zincubus
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 3:12 pm

Is it laziness or procrastination ?

07 Oct 2009, 5:19 pm

Zincubus wrote:
Is it laziness or procrastination ?

They both sound the same to me. people who procrastinate are being lazy because they are refusing to do it.

Quote:
No, I would say it's normal for AS. One of the traits of AS is an inability to focus on that which does not interest you. I saw it a lot in my school days: My class mates complained about how much they hated for instance maths, and then they sat down dutifully and did the assignments, where as I could not wrap my mind around it at all, and couldn't focus and was extremely frustrated and restless. I realised that they didn't even know what it meant to hate something.

Also, it's easy for some of us to space out even when we do things we like... Now for instance, I'm in a phase where I have big difficulties concentrating. There are books I wanna read, but when I sit down to read them, I find that I can't focus on them. My mind wanders or I space out. Half an hour later I still haven't finished one page... And it's not due to the book being boring or lack of will.

Yeah I have that same problem and my mom told me I had to work harder and it's hard for lot of people to learn things they are not interested in. She said she has the same problem so perhaps she has that trait so she assumes lot of people have that problem or maybe it's a human trait and we think it's an aspie one. That's why I always had to check out books that interested me so I can do my book report and understand what is going on in the story. It was a fortunate our English teacher let us check out any book we want just as long as it had many certain pages and it had to be fiction I think. I like thriller so I was lucky to find those books in the library so I can do my report. It was one of the few assignments I didn't need help with in high school. The teacher made it concrete. But however in my senior year, we were assigned a book to read and those books were very difficult to follow, even normal kids had that difficulty because the stories were so abstract. But because of my learning style and IEP, I was given a whole different book to read that was easier to follow and that book turned out to be interesting which was The Giver. I was able to do a report about it on my own with very little help. But I am not sure if it's because I'm lazy and my mom said I just needed to try harder and work at it. When I feel I am not trying hard enough, I say I'm lazy because that's what laziness is.

Quote:
Spokane_Girl- I'm sceptical about ED as well. I don't think healthy scepticism is anything to get offended about. I'd never even heard of the term until I came to this message board. Maybe I am just lazy, I wouldn't be afraid of that conclusion.
I still wouldn't know what to do with myself though. There aren't any pills that can make a person less lazy Sad And I refuse to accept that I'm just doomed to being an underachiever.

Yeah I don't understand why people get offended by it if that person is saying they have the same problems themselves but they are calling it laziness, not ED. I figure those people have too much pride in them and they don't want to admit their faults and they get mad when they see someone has the guts to admit the truth. They can follow that person's guts and do the same and they will feel better like I do but I don't understand why they can't.

I see on Yahoo Answers in mental health by people who are asking how to overcome laziness or procrastination and it's about not wanting to do this or that or taking them a long time to do things like starting their homework because they rather do something else. Here, people call it ED. I wonder if people here would be offended at those questions on yahoo answers because they are calling their own problems laziness.