No 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
Only when not many people are there 34%  34%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 35

kerryt84
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Oct 2009, 11:42 am

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering what everyone thinks about going to the cinema, do you like it or not?

I am really beginning to hate going. Firstly having so many people around me makes me anxious, and I get so irratated and distracted by every little noise and movement other people make I end up leaving in a very bad mood.

Thanks, Kerry

EnglishInvader
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2009, 12:05 pm

I love the cinema. I don't go so much these days because there aren't many new films I feel inclined to see. The last new release I saw was The Dark Knight -- over a year ago. I always go the cinema alone; that way, I can watch what I like, when I like, if I like and not have to compromise with other people. There is nothing finer than having a whole auditorium all to yourself.

A few months ago, I got to fulfill my lifelong dream to see Ghostbusters on a cinema screen. It was at the Prince Charles Cinema in Leicester Square on the same evening as the UK Premier of The Boat that Rocked (23 March). It was quite a night out.

Last edited by EnglishInvader on 06 Oct 2009, 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Izaak
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2009, 12:18 pm

I go to the cinema all the time. I usually go during the day, when there are less people. But not exactly because of that fact. if I take my ear plugs I am quite happy to go during the evening. I don't really pay much attention to other people in the cinema or care. I did have a go at some guy because him and his mate sat behind me (they were attached to a larger group) who were the only othe patrons with the intent (they told there other mates) purpose of giving me s**t. I just turned around and said "if you aren't going to shut up i'm going to go get an attendant to kick you out, then i'm going to get my money back and see this movie anyway. And you'll be kicked out and out 13 bucks. So how about we all sit in silence?" It actually worked and it was awesome (yay for small victories). Incidentally I walked out haflway through that movie (it was Species) because it was s**t.

Anyhow, I recently saw Inglorious Basterds in a full house. It was an awesome film. I (see my obsession with my profile) loved it because I could understand half of the foriegn speak that was going on. I didn't get one half of the first exchange betwee the farmer and his daughters, but after 10 weeks of self-study I could understand the interaction between the Jew Hunter and the Farmer. I was wrapped!

AYeah... anyways... i love th movies!

EnglishInvader
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2009, 12:37 pm

Izaak wrote:
Incidentally I walked out haflway through that movie (it was Species) because it was sh**.

How can you say Species is "sh**""? It's an absolutely fantastic film!

Izaak
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2009, 12:44 pm

EnglishInvader wrote:
Izaak wrote:
Incidentally I walked out haflway through that movie (it was Species) because it was sh**.

How can you say Species is "sh**""? It's an absolutely fantastic film!

lol... really? I only went because I was 15 and it had natasha henstridge in it. Needless to say I got my fill quickly and couldn't stand the rest. That and the premise was attrocious and the disguise was about as good as the Jackal.... I mean... you cut your hair it's STILL natasah henstrige! It's public transport for gods sake. Just pick up the only woman who doesn't look like a destitute hobo and bob's your uncle, you've found your alien!

iSpy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Oct 2009, 1:42 pm

no, No, and NO Did I say NO? :)

Last edited by iSpy on 05 Oct 2009, 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2009, 2:00 pm

I love going, but I don't think I could ever go by myself.

Hershel_Numanox
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Oct 2009, 3:21 pm

I love the escapism of going to see a film. Watching a DVD just isnt the same. Most of the time I'm fine with other people there. It's only when someone close by starts talking or has a cold and sniffs through the entire film that my focus goes and I start to get irritated. But over all I love going to the cinema. It's really the only social thing I do even though I nearly always go on my own.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2009, 3:35 pm

I love going to the cinema, however, I don't like to sit next to strangers.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

WoodenNickel
Toucan
Toucan

05 Oct 2009, 7:26 pm

What's there to like? Uncomfortable chairs, the acrid smell of burned popcorn oil, the ticket taker at one cinema yelling at customers, sharing an experience with complete strangers (that's an NT motivation), people confusing fiction with reality. I stopped going to regular cinemas years ago. I rarely go with my wife to see movies from her country, which we can't see otherwise. Only one of them made sense to me, afterwards, and it was not complementary to her country.

Coadunate
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2009, 7:45 pm

I only go if it's IMAX 3D.

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2009, 8:59 pm

cannot remember the last time I saw a movie in the theater.
It's been years.
I just don't care for the crowds, noise, filthy floors and seats, etc. etc.
Why would I pay money for that?

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2009, 10:13 pm

I love going to the movies. If it's a movie I really want to see, I WILL go by myself if I have to.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2009, 10:32 pm

I absolutely love going to the movies! I've seen (at least) twenty-five movies at the theater this year, either with my mom or by myself. We know how to get the tickets at dirt cheap prices (even for 3D movies sometimes) so we go a lot. I've actually gotten really lucky twice this year with either me or my mom and I being the only ones in the whole theater, which is always awesome. We have eight theaters in the area we go to regularly (and yes, there's still more around!). I've saved every single movie ticket and pasted them on my calendar so at the end of the year, that should be a pretty extensive list!

I have yet to go to a movie so far this month, but hey, it's still early :wink: I did go to a basketball game on Sunday though. And I'm going to the next one on Wednesday! It's the WNBA Finals (Indy vs Arizona) and both teams are really good.

acclue
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Oct 2009, 10:45 pm

I love going to the movies :3 the gigantic screen makes it impossible to focus on the crowd (provided no one is talking during the movie) and it's so much more entertaining than watching it at home where there are distractions. It's kinda like sensory deprivation when the lights go off, so that you focus on immersing yourself into the movie. It's fun.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2009, 5:05 am

I voted yes.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!