Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

LaurAnnHere
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Oct 2009, 9:15 pm

Jamie sleeps with his eyes partially open. Sometimes it's just a crack. Sometimes it's about half the eye and you can even see part of the pupil. I wondered if this had some relationship with the sleep disturbances that he has. I also wondered if this was related to Asperger's/Autism. My friend was telling me that a child she used to teach slept with his eyes partially open like Jamie and that he was autistic.

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2009, 9:55 pm

LaurAnnHere wrote:
Jamie sleeps with his eyes partially open. Sometimes it's just a crack. Sometimes it's about half the eye and you can even see part of the pupil. I wondered if this had some relationship with the sleep disturbances that he has. I also wondered if this was related to Asperger's/Autism. My friend was telling me that a child she used to teach slept with his eyes partially open like Jamie and that he was autistic.
some people just do that. it may not mean anything. perhaps you should ask your health professional?

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2009, 10:05 pm

jamesongerbil is correct. Unless the eye is being irritated, there is no reason to see a doctor. Burning incense at night can irritate to open sleeping eyes.

LaurAnnHere
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Oct 2009, 8:04 am

It doesn't seem to bother him. I worry about dry eyes, but he doesn't complain.

Azharia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Oct 2009, 4:50 pm

I used to do this a little and my brother did it a lot.
I am an aspie and he had ADHD.
Never bothered me, but one warning that my brother never mentioned as a kid...

He says now as an adult that he used to have terrifying episodes where he was lying in bed paralised and couldn't move, but could see. Stuff of nightmares he says. I assume his eyes and brain were waking without signaling his body to remove the normal sleep blocks on movements.

Just a warning to be sure he is actually asleep, as my brother apparently found this very distressing, but never mentioned it. Possibly a bit of theory-of-mind issues of his own.

annotated_alice
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2009, 9:54 pm

One of my sons does this too, and so do I, I've been told. I've never really thought twice about it, although it does seem to creep other people out.

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2009, 10:33 pm

My dad does too it's creepy only because he also sleeps with the remote in his hand and yells at you if you touch the tv. Most of the time he's got yuck Nasa Car on he's the only one in the family that likes it.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 12:53 pm

I would investigate the correlation. They may more may not be related.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 2:56 pm

If he's gripping his pillow tight, he might just be a Metallica fan...

8)

LaurAnnHere
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Oct 2009, 1:13 am

DeaconBlues wrote:

8)

:lol:

I guess I thought that maybe having the eyes open would let in extra stimuli while he was sleeping, which could possibly contribute to night terrors. It was just an idea that got into my head.

Azharia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Oct 2009, 5:29 am

DeaconBlues wrote:

8)

Hehe my husband sings that song to my baby as a lullaby! and it works!
Not sure it will when she understands the words...

Aylahmay
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Oct 2009, 5:01 pm

My son has slept like this since he was born, I would get so freaked out watching him sleep. At about 2 yrs ols he started to get night terrors. It's sounds like Azharia's story. So I wouldnt be concerned about the eyes them selves but if he does get nightmares or sleep walks then I would worry.