Am I in a group of Aspies without knowing it>

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2009, 4:19 am

Hmm... hear me out. I know that I have aspergers but I think that the two people at school I talk to do as well. They both show the signs of it. Difficulty showing emotion, they're both clumsy, socially awkward, they get interests and generally talk about them and nothing else for a while then pass onto something else. Pretty much all the symptoms of Aspergers.

Anyway, is it possible that we became friends because of Aspergers without knowing it, one of these guys has been my best friend since second grade and that was eight years ago.

Silvervarg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2009, 4:23 am

Of course it's possible. If your interests are somehow related it's even more likley. ;)

Two of my best friends are probable spectrumites too, we talk the same way and behave the same way, no wonder we're friends. :D

TouchVanDerBoom
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Oct 2009, 5:32 am

I think this is more common than people realise. I am still best friends with my ex from high school who I believe is an undiagnosed aspie. His mum, who works with aspie kids, was the first to point it out. My other close friend from college, with whom I shared my special interests, is now my boyfriend and I believe him to be an aspie too. The three of us hang out talking in neologisms, giving long monologues about transport (my friend), technology, the military and cars (my boyfriend) and television and film (me), avoiding the general population because we all find them confusing, overwhelming and unfair. I am the only one who has had my Asperger's recognised by a professional (my counseller at uni pointed it out and then I went to the learning centre where they did a little test and said I had the traits) but none of us have official diagnosis's. We are all pursuing them.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2009, 5:57 am

I think it's very likely. My first husband was aspie, and like TVDB, I'm still friendly with him. Probably my most meaningful friendships have been with aspies. There's nothing wrong with that.

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2009, 6:26 am

My 13 year old son has a group of friends at school that, out of six kids, four of them could be on the spectrum (and two of them are diagnosed, including my son). I've said for a long time, if there are any aspies in a group, they are magentically attracted to each other and will definitely find each other. And good! We all gravitate towards those we feel comfortable with.

Nightsun
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2009, 7:21 am

Out of 5 friends + my wife: 1 Aspie, 2 Spectrum-like but with some NT trait, 1 NT, and 2 people with no-diagnosticated disorder. Also many people in my family is Spectrum like and I highly doubt that my father is Aspie.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2009, 11:03 am

Over the course of my life, I've felt a "draw" to certain people I meet almost immediately. Since learning more about AS, I have looked back and realized that many of them have exhibited spectrum traits at the very least. Certainly it's not always the case, but many times it is.