Reversing phrases or sections of words

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

AussieAspie
Raven
Raven

06 Oct 2009, 7:59 am

I have this crazy way of dealing with sensory overload in conversation, I will often repeat phrases said by others echolalia style especially if I'm taken by suprise by a question. When I become engaged in low grade small talk I tend to start reversing words, sentences, whole phrases even. Example would be "dretting a gink" means "getting a drink". I will do this more and more until not one word I speak comes out normally and it annoys the "CARP" out of people. Maybe I do it as some way of saying this talking means absolutely nothing and serves no purpose so why talk at all except to talk rubbish, theres no point!

I quite often get the feeling that talking is not nessesary to communicate. I sometimes just anticipate what someone is going to say and then feel like I'm just waiting impatiently for them to speak the actual words out. I would probably have thought of an answer to what they were going to say before they say it and it would be a very short answer, maybe just one word. I believe one of three statements are all that are required for an answer, YES, NO, I DON'T KNOW and if I don't know then don't keep pressing me because I wont suddenly change and know.

Does anyone else mix up words and phrases in a similar way or do you have another strange way of dealing with small talk?

I'm just very interested to know if I am the only person with AS who does this.

AA

am_suomi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Oct 2009, 8:07 am

The mix up happens more during overload type moments, when I am asked questions at work and i know what to say but I can't get it out. Then I mix part of words or say the words in the wrong part of a sentence...no tips on dealing with this. Perhaps i need to slow down (but then when I slow down I was once told "just get it out. we're in a hurry here".

jimb424

06 Oct 2009, 8:14 am

AussieAspie wrote:
I have this crazy way of dealing with sensory overload in conversation, I will often repeat phrases said by others echolalia style especially if I'm taken by suprise by a question. When I become engaged in low grade small talk I tend to start reversing words, sentences, whole phrases even. Example would be "dretting a gink" means "getting a drink". I will do this more and more until not one word I speak comes out normally and it annoys the "CARP" out of people. Maybe I do it as some way of saying this talking means absolutely nothing and serves no purpose so why talk at all except to talk rubbish, theres no point!

I quite often get the feeling that talking is not nessesary to communicate. I sometimes just anticipate what someone is going to say and then feel like I'm just waiting impatiently for them to speak the actual words out. I would probably have thought of an answer to what they were going to say before they say it and it would be a very short answer, maybe just one word. I believe one of three statements are all that are required for an answer, YES, NO, I DON'T KNOW and if I don't know then don't keep pressing me because I wont suddenly change and know.

Does anyone else mix up words and phrases in a similar way or do you have another strange way of dealing with small talk?

I'm just very interested to know if I am the only person with AS who does this.

AA

I don't know.

I was in a meeting the other day and the other guy kept finishing my sentences. As soon as he could anticipate the last few words, he would say them.

It was annoying and possibly quite comical. The next time I will try to lead him to the wrong words and repeatedly correct him.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2009, 8:27 am

Those are called Spoonerisms named after a professor who was famous for them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Archibald_Spooner

sorry it won't link-but you can google or I'll try again.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2009, 8:33 am

Here are some of his best:
* "Three cheers for our queer old dean!" (dear old queen, referring to Queen Victoria)
* "Is it kisstomary to cuss the bride?" (customary to kiss)
* "The Lord is a shoving leopard." (a loving shepherd)
* "A blushing crow." (crushing blow)
* "A well-boiled icicle" (well-oiled bicycle)
* "You were fighting a liar in the quadrangle." (lighting a fire)
* "Is the bean dizzy?" (dean busy)
* "Someone is occupewing my pie. Please sew me to another sheet." (occupying my pew...show me to another seat)
* "You have hissed all my mystery lectures. You have tasted a whole worm. Please leave Oxford on the next town drain." (missed...history, wasted...term, down train)[7]

[edit]

AussieAspie
Raven
Raven

06 Oct 2009, 8:37 am

Hey thanks Aimless, I had no idea that guy or a name for it ever existed, his phrases are just like mine :)