Did it seem only you were getting picked on?

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2009, 2:05 pm

Back when I was in school, it seemed like nobody else was getting picked on. Either I was not around when other kids were getting picked on, or it wasn't happening, at least not in my own grade. For some reason it felt like I was the ONLY kid that got bullied/teased/reacted to hostile-ly.

TheDuck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Oct 2009, 2:33 pm

I never got really picked on and never seen anyone get bullied (or I was just too innocent to tell). One of my friends did get teased a lot more than anyone else but I don't think it was ever in a mean way.

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2009, 3:26 pm

A long time ago when I was at school the bullying was constant and relentless it was not until my secondary school (a special school) there were a few others who were recipient of a similar amount of bullying but most of the time I felt like I were the only one.

Volcanic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Oct 2009, 3:27 pm

i get picked on all the time and yeh ur right no one else ever gets picked on :(

Rhapsody
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Oct 2009, 10:36 pm

I think it's kinda difficult to tell if other people are being bullied when you are too. I was never constantly bullied in school. It just happened in spurts, mostly when I came across the wrong sort of person. I remember when I was being bullied I never noticed anyone else being bullied, but those spurts of time when I wasn't the subject of bullying I noticed other people going through it.

I'm ashamed to say I never really stopped it when I noticed it. Well, I did once, when in elementary school one of the kids asked me why I was friends with that girl who happened to be my very best friend. She's always had severe ADHD and been off the wall hyper since we were little kids. I was my typical blunt self with a "because I am" but the subject was dropped and no one made fun of my friend when I was around. I'm not sure why. I'm not a particularly threatening individual, but whatever works.

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2009, 11:14 pm

Rhapsody wrote:
I think it's kinda difficult to tell if other people are being bullied when you are too. I was never constantly bullied in school. It just happened in spurts, mostly when I came across the wrong sort of person. I remember when I was being bullied I never noticed anyone else being bullied, but those spurts of time when I wasn't the subject of bullying I noticed other people going through it.

I'm ashamed to say I never really stopped it when I noticed it. Well, I did once, when in elementary school one of the kids asked me why I was friends with that girl who happened to be my very best friend. She's always had severe ADHD and been off the wall hyper since we were little kids. I was my typical blunt self with a "because I am" but the subject was dropped and no one made fun of my friend when I was around. I'm not sure why. I'm not a particularly threatening individual, but whatever works.

I've NEVER been asked "why are you friends with x?" Mainly because nobody was really close enough to me to even say that.

Seriously, I would notice if someone else was being given a hard time. I guess they were all too busy attacking me to bother with anyone else?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2009, 11:22 pm

I never really got picked on after junior high, and never really noticed it happening to others.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Rhapsody
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Oct 2009, 11:36 pm

Do you mean you've never had friends or do you mean that the friends you did have never warranted some sort of explanation by the general public? I don't understand what you mean by no one was really close enough to you to say that. I wasn't friends with the person who asked me that question, and I'm still not sure if they wanted my opinion/justification on the subject out of respect or if they were just trying to be rude and failed.

Would you really? I've found that when I was especially bullied I would go into this sort of 'victim' mode where I thought that I was the only person getting bullied and had become some sort of scapegoat for the entire grade. My brother does this as well, which is the only reason I've realized that I do it, even though my parents have been telling me for years that's what I do. Without having him as a mirror I would never have realized it, and would have gone on believing that I was the only person being bullied when it wasn't true. Also, since I've seen multiple people being bullied at the same time, then it makes logical sense that I could not be the only person to experience bullying at any given time in any given setting. But that's just the way I think. It's obviously not the same for every person.

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 12:54 am

Rhapsody wrote:
Do you mean you've never had friends or do you mean that the friends you did have never warranted some sort of explanation by the general public? I don't understand what you mean by no one was really close enough to you to say that. I wasn't friends with the person who asked me that question, and I'm still not sure if they wanted my opinion/justification on the subject out of respect or if they were just trying to be rude and failed.

Oh I can see where some confusion got in there. I mean I wasn't close enough to anyone to be a friend to someone and then have another person question that friendship. My idea of 'friendship' back then was an arms'-length definition. Acquaintances.

With some people you never know, but I suspect they were asking the question because they couldn't see anything in the other person and were questioning your choice out of morbid curiosity and possibly an intent to be rude.

Rhapsody wrote:
Would you really? I've found that when I was especially bullied I would go into this sort of 'victim' mode where I thought that I was the only person getting bullied and had become some sort of scapegoat for the entire grade. My brother does this as well, which is the only reason I've realized that I do it, even though my parents have been telling me for years that's what I do. Without having him as a mirror I would never have realized it, and would have gone on believing that I was the only person being bullied when it wasn't true. Also, since I've seen multiple people being bullied at the same time, then it makes logical sense that I could not be the only person to experience bullying at any given time in any given setting. But that's just the way I think. It's obviously not the same for every person.

Well, I think I would have, for I was definitely hunting for allies and never found any. Trust me, if I'd seen that crowd picking on someone else, I'd have befriended any such victim. But I never saw it. As far as I could tell I was the only person they picked on.

Even the people that were friendly to me never stuck up for me against the problems.

Rhapsody
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Oct 2009, 1:11 am

If that's not the definition of friendship then what is? :?

There are other crowds though, that bully other people, and while bullies are usually exclusive in their prey the phenomenon is not. So logically speaking it can be assumed that there were other people that were also being bullied at the same time. So, in retrospect you weren't technically alone, however uncomforting that is. But I guess for the people currently being bullied they can take heart, eh? It's always nice to know you're not alone.

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 1:20 am

Rhapsody wrote:
If that's not the definition of friendship then what is? :?

There are other crowds though, that bully other people, and while bullies are usually exclusive in their prey the phenomenon is not. So logically speaking it can be assumed that there were other people that were also being bullied at the same time. So, in retrospect you weren't technically alone, however uncomforting that is. But I guess for the people currently being bullied they can take heart, eh? It's always nice to know you're not alone.

Well considering the size of the schools in question (insanely small schools in a small town), it would have been literally impossible for me to miss every other single instance of bullying.

Rhapsody
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Oct 2009, 1:41 am

Improbable, perhaps, but not impossible. I've never lived in a small town so I don't know what it's like to know everyone you go to school with, and know their whereabouts and troubles as seems to be the case from your description. But I would assume that only the boldest of bullies would attack in a very public place where they would be likely to draw more attention. Of course, I often give people the benefit of the doubt and assume they are more intelligent then they actually are.

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 1:43 pm

Rhapsody wrote:
Improbable, perhaps, but not impossible. I've never lived in a small town so I don't know what it's like to know everyone you go to school with, and know their whereabouts and troubles as seems to be the case from your description. But I would assume that only the boldest of bullies would attack in a very public place where they would be likely to draw more attention. Of course, I often give people the benefit of the doubt and assume they are more intelligent then they actually are.

This was always public. They'd pick on me in the schoolyard, the crowded halls, the bus, and even in classrooms. Depending on whether the teacher was an idiot or not some even dared do stuff with the teacher present. It's not like nobody could see what was going on. Bullying in private never happened.

These kids were either dumb like sh**, or felt secure that nobody'd do anything, or both.

Rhapsody
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Oct 2009, 2:27 pm

It was probably both. :roll:

When I alluded at bullying in private I did not mean that the venue in which the event took place was not public. I meant that the altercation would take place somewhere that it would be less noticeable, like all the places you described. The thing all of those places have in common is that the student to faculty ratio is many students to very few staff. And in places that are that public people tend to mind their own business and so would be less likely to step in if they witnessed bullying. Sometimes the bullying can even be misinterpreted (most people are rather dense) as rough-housing between friends or as a crush, which makes them even less likely to do anything.

Of course, I know very well that having teachers around doesn't stop bullying. Sometimes they can make it worse. I used to get beat up in English class every day in eighth grade. The teacher never did anything about it, even though she obviously saw it because we were sitting in the front row (hooray for assigned seats) and she used to yell at me for it. One time, during silent reading, the other girl kicked me out of my desk and I tumbled to the ground. I got yelled at and when I tried to explain that I’d just been kicked out of my desk I got yelled at more for talking during silent reading. I also used to get in trouble when the other girl would punch or kick or scratch me, because you know it was obviously my fault.

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 3:17 pm

Rhapsody wrote:
It was probably both. :roll:

When I alluded at bullying in private I did not mean that the venue in which the event took place was not public. I meant that the altercation would take place somewhere that it would be less noticeable, like all the places you described. The thing all of those places have in common is that the student to faculty ratio is many students to very few staff. And in places that are that public people tend to mind their own business and so would be less likely to step in if they witnessed bullying. Sometimes the bullying can even be misinterpreted (most people are rather dense) as rough-housing between friends or as a crush, which makes them even less likely to do anything.

Well this definitely could not be mistaken for basic roughhousing between friends. Nor as a crush.

Rhapsody wrote:
Of course, I know very well that having teachers around doesn't stop bullying. Sometimes they can make it worse. I used to get beat up in English class every day in eighth grade. The teacher never did anything about it, even though she obviously saw it because we were sitting in the front row (hooray for assigned seats) and she used to yell at me for it. One time, during silent reading, the other girl kicked me out of my desk and I tumbled to the ground. I got yelled at and when I tried to explain that I’d just been kicked out of my desk I got yelled at more for talking during silent reading. I also used to get in trouble when the other girl would punch or kick or scratch me, because you know it was obviously my fault.

Good lord sounds like you had a similar teacher to my eighth grade english teacher. Mine was a stuck up Brit by the name of Mrs. Kerr. She was useless when it came to bullies. She let s*** happen right under her nose.

Rhapsody
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Oct 2009, 4:21 pm

Actually, you never know. Like I said, people are stupid. When I was in seventh grade there was this boy who used to beat on me during homeroom whenever the teacher wasn't in there. One day one of the other girls asked me if I liked him. I was like "What?" because it just didn't make any sense to me. Why the hell would I like someone who beat on me? But, that's what it got mistaken as. So obviously people can be that oblivious...or that's how middle schoolers show they like someone I'm not sure. If that is the way they show they like each other it's not very effective.