Lack of makeup indicate already in relationship?

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

CrinklyCrustacean
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2009, 3:55 pm

Merle wrote:
Wow, I'm shocked. Paying a compliment is a given (they're free and pay excellent dividends!) in my book. Guys who can not even feign a compliment are, well, boring? Dullards? Classless cretins?

That's not fair. I'm a guy and I wouldn't know where to start on complimenting a woman on their makeup. Some would be insulted that I noticed at all, others may be flattered IF I said the right thing. That's a big IF, because I don't know what to say anyway. However, that doesn't mean I don't give out compliments. If I like someone's dress I'll say so. :) In any case, compliments are NOT a given. They are a choice. You can't reasonably demand a compliment.

SINsister
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2009, 9:50 pm

CrinklyCrustacean wrote:
You can't reasonably demand a compliment.

I never expect any.

~Steve Jobs

ptown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Oct 2009, 10:04 pm

i don't wear make up for several reasons. the biggest reason is that it is an ARTIFICIAL NEED which creates tons of pollution that ends up in landfill. another reason is compassion for animals- much make up is tested on animals and contains animal ingredients. and another reason is hassle...hassle to buy, to apply, to keep looking fresh, to remove, etc...

all in all, my opinion of make up is that is is unnecessary and a huge waste of consumer dollars and a huge cause of environmental toxins/litter.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2009, 5:01 am

it could. i've noticed a no-makeup trend as well in married or taken girls. mostly because i guess they feel they don't have to try now that they've snagged someone nice to be with who likes them for them makeup or no.

so it could be setting you back and leading others to incorrect assumptions, yes.
if you're going boyfriend-hunting makeup is advisable. precautionary in case my assessment is in fact true. just remember, beware the clown-face :lol:
idk.

good luck :)

david_42
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Oct 2009, 9:53 am

What does makeup mean? It means you are in your 60s, 40s or 20s. No makeup means you are in your 50s or 30s. Makeup vs no make up is far more an indicator of when you hit your teens than current status. It's no more than a fashion.

SINsister
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2009, 10:07 am

david_42 wrote:
What does makeup mean? It means you are in your 60s, 40s or 20s. No makeup means you are in your 50s or 30s. Makeup vs no make up is far more an indicator of when you hit your teens than current status. It's no more than a fashion.

Huh? 8O

Ummm...dude, I've been experimenting/playing with and wearing makeup pretty much daily since I was about 14. I'm 41. :roll:

~Steve Jobs

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2009, 10:25 am

SINsister wrote:
david_42 wrote:

Huh? 8O

Ummm...dude, I've been experimenting/playing with and wearing makeup pretty much daily since I was about 14. I'm 41. :roll:

No kidding! From what I've seen, some women always wear makeup (you), never wear makeup (Shebakoby) or wear makeup situationally (me). It has nothing to do with either relationship status or what decade of your life you happen to be in.

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2009, 11:55 am

Janissy wrote:
SINsister wrote:
david_42 wrote:

Huh? 8O

No kidding! From what I've seen, some women always wear makeup (you), never wear makeup (Shebakoby) or wear makeup situationally (me). It has nothing to do with either relationship status or what decade of your life you happen to be in.

Hmm, I might have to (with qualifiers) potentially disagree with you fine ladies: While I agree that Janissy is correct overall, don't forget how good asipes are at spotting little things like this. It may very well be true that david42's observations are completely accurate in the town or geographic area of the city he is living in. I could certainly see that happening.

Rose_in_Winter
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2009, 4:52 pm

I like makeup. I wear light makeup to work, because it seems expected that a professional woman wear makeup. Often I find my students wear more makeup than I do! I stick to light and natural tones, though, which I hope create a kind but serious look. However, when I go out with my husband or our friends, I do a more noticeable look -- dark eyeshadow, eyeliner, and dark red lipstick. If I've been home all day I don't bother with it, but I will often put on a little lipstick and eyeshadow before my husband gets home.

However, I didn't wear any (except to the goth club) until I got married and discovered my husband likes how I look in makeup. I'd always dated men who were on the side of "It looks best natural" before. I'm not saying that my husband only likes me in makeup or would force me to wear it. Mostly, it makes him feel special to know I've gone to extra effort to look good for him, and he interprets it as a way of saying, "I love you." It's not like he doesn't ever see me without makeup; he sees that often. But I find makeup to be an easy and fun form of self-expression.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2009, 5:17 pm

Yeah I'm one of those 'sporadic' wearers, except I would say I definitely lean towards the side of no make-up - I only ever tend to wear mascara and occasionally lipgloss at the times (like once a month maybe) when I do wear makeup. I like the way mascara sets off my eyes.

Each to their own.