Acting without thinking. Aspergers or Executive Dysfunction?

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 12:50 pm

Aimless wrote:
I'm not totally clear but I think ED can be considered a component of Asperger's. I know that I have ED and the significant impact it has had on my life. It's very frustrating.

"Erectile Dysfunction" :? ?

i thought you were female. I'm confused now

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 2:46 pm

Seanmw wrote:
Aimless wrote:
I'm not totally clear but I think ED can be considered a component of Asperger's. I know that I have ED and the significant impact it has had on my life. It's very frustrating.

"Erectile Dysfunction" :? ?

i thought you were female. I'm confused now

No, Executive Dysfunction. I am female. :)

Amajanshi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 7:45 pm

Executive Dysfunction is supposedly common in both AS and ADHD.

I think in the case of AS, it may be because we see so much detail, so we have a harder time prioritizing what needs to be done in what sequence of steps.

truthseeker124
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Aug 2016, 8:51 pm

Oh my gosh so many of these things ring a bell with me. I don't know what to do though - I have been diagnosed with ADD and take medication for it but I still experience these kind of symptoms. Its really scary because a lot of the time I don't know what I'm going to be doing 30 minutes into the future because I haven't thought about it. This constantly has me feeling like I am just playing catchup in life.

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2016, 9:27 pm

I've never understood why I'm unable to write essays. Even when it's not a memory retrieval thing, I struggle to make my essays long enough. I feel like that was covered earlier in this thread (nine years ago), but I didn't really understand the reason behind it.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2016, 3:24 pm

Acting without thinking and accidentally upsetting people isn't really a quirk of mine, intuitively I know where and when to draw the line.

But occasionally I have acted without thinking, which is generally rare for me. Like a few months ago I did this at work. Person A was my supervisor, but I didn't like her being my supervisor much. I felt she wasn't very professional or helpful as a supervisor. But one day she resigned her supervisor position and just wanted to be a casual worker, and so person B (who I liked a lot) took on the supervisor position instead, and when they both told me, I happened to be in a hyper, upbeat mood, and without thinking I yelled out, ''yes!!'' Person B thought my reaction was funny and she laughed, but person A got offended by my reaction, and didn't talk to me all day. I felt guilty because I didn't really mean it horribly, but other workers felt the same way about her as I did, so they admired the way I reacted. But to this day I still feel bad, but she's forgotten about it now (I hope).

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2016, 4:02 pm

When I'm making a big decision about something I think it through and when I try to communicate something to someone I usually rehearse it in my head several times before actually saying anything. When I'm communicating something right in the moment though I have more trouble because I sometimes end up saying something that doesn't make sense to other people and often feel misunderstood.