Does being old-fashioned make me a nerd?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NickKotarski
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Oct 2009, 1:28 pm

Over the past few months, I have grown increasingly concerned that I may be a nerd. I am quite a big fan of old music and don't really care much for conemporary styles unless I am in public and their music is playing. I also enjoy watching old Looney Tunes, Merrie Melodies, and old Hanna-Barbera cartoons. In addition, when I play sports video games, I, whenever possible, try to suit the teams up in throwback/retro uniforms. I am concerned that this, coupled with the fact that, at 18, I've never even been kissed by someone of the opposite sex, makes me somewhat out of style. My parents don't see this as a problem and think I'll make a great spouse someday.

Your opinions, please?

jamesp420
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Oct 2009, 1:35 pm

You are what you are, and that is you. Stereotypes don't fit everyone, and shouldn't.

http://www.facebook.com/jamesp420

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 1:38 pm

jamesp420 wrote:
You are what you are, and that is you. Stereotypes don't fit everyone, and shouldn't.

Well said.

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 1:53 pm

So you like old things... big whoop. Is someone who does civil war re-enactments a nerd? How about buckskinners? And those folks at the living history museums? Nah, they just have an interest in history and enjoy the things of their favorite period. Well, and one of my friends really liked firing the cannon.

Frankly, I think those things are kinda neat... not your run-of-the-mill cookie-cutter interests. Why aspire to be cut from the same bolt of cloth as every other person? Baaaaah.

And if someone does think you're a nerd... show them the door. That's their limitation, not yours.

I didn't want to kiss anyone til I was 19... and I've sure done my share since then. It's not a horse race, for pete's sake. It's about friendship first, learning how to enjoy others company and meeting simpatico people. No need to be a clone like all the sheep people.

And you will make a good spouse, if that's what you want. But make sure it's what YOU want and not just what's expected.

anxiety25
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 2:12 pm

Don't feel too bad... I'm 29 and am STUCK in the 80s. Everyone calls my style either "weird" or "retro", and if they think I'm nerdy, then ya know what... I'm PROUD to be a nerd :P At least I have fun with it and it makes me happy.

"I enjoyed the meetings, too. It was like having friends." -Luna Lovegood

Raven
Raven

08 Oct 2009, 2:16 pm

Sometimes I feel like a nerd. Other times I feel like an M&M or a Sour Punch Straw.

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 2:19 pm

-9 wrote:
Sometimes I feel like a nerd. Other times I feel like an M&M or a Sour Punch Straw.

Juicy Fruit gum!! ! :lol:

deadeyexx
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 2:20 pm

Being too old fashioned or having too much interest in trivial things can make you nerdy. It shows detatchment from the immediate happenings around you. I think it depends on how far you take it. If you're still living your life in the current world with a touch of old-time style, there should be no problem.

However if you shun the current world and immerse yourself in irrelevant, dead or distant things, then you might need to cut back.

protest_the_hero
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 2:57 pm

I don't think old fashioned equates to nerdy. There is a likely connection between nerdiness and the lack of smooches. Then again, you might be more socially popular and romantically succesful if you weren't so old fashioned. Then again, NTs usually find their own social circle somehow.

Raven
Raven

08 Oct 2009, 3:23 pm

I'd much rather be a nerd than the type of person popular society tells me I should be.

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 3:32 pm

-9 wrote:
I'd much rather be a nerd than the type of person popular society tells me I should be.

QFT! :D

southwestforests
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 3:51 pm

If you're a nerd then I'm a nerd within sight of old-grey-geezerhood

On the not being kissed at 18, I was a virgin till after 40.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 3:58 pm

OPyou are a Retro Nerd XD

DonkeyBuster wrote:
So you like old things... big whoop. Is someone who does civil war re-enactments a nerd? How about buckskinners? And those folks at the living history museums?

yes. they are nerds and geeks :P

http://www.blog.joelx.com/funny-geek-cl ... tions/995/
http://purpleslinky.com/humor/types-of-nerds/

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 4:27 pm

Hell I'm stuck in the 70s and 80s, hugetime.

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 4:46 pm

Warsie wrote:
OPyou are a Retro Nerd XD

DonkeyBuster wrote:
So you like old things... big whoop. Is someone who does civil war re-enactments a nerd? How about buckskinners? And those folks at the living history museums?

yes. they are nerds and geeks :P

This from the avatar with the 'fro... that's soooo 60's! Are those wide lapels on that suit?
I think you might be pushing into the dweeb category, Warsie...
:lol:

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 6:27 pm

Personally, I love the old 40's torch songs like Cry Me A River or Someone To Watch Over Me. They are great songs but I could do without all the sweeping violins. I am also a fan of old cartoons by Fleischer. I really really enjoy them but they are not the only things I enjoy. I am old-fashioned about romance too. I am actually very socially liberal even if I make old fashioned choices for myself. I had a friend years ago who would go on a first date and tell me about it later. She might say she had an okay time but didn't really think things clicked with the guy and probably wouldn't go out with him again. Then she would casually mention giving him a b.j. :? Has this replaced the goodnight kiss? :lol: