Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2006, 10:00 am

Hello! I'm a Mum to my DS who is 7. We're just starting on our diagnosis journey and it's been an interesting ride so far. Thankfully, most of the people we've come into contact with are very aware of what AS is and have been great. He's also showing a lot of SID issues. We have an assessment with an SIPT certified OT next week and then an assessment in March with a neuropsych. I'm actually looking forward to it because it will finally give us some answers. My "mothers intuition" has told me for a long time that there were things he was struggling with which were out of his control and it's nice to finally see that I was right. Now I feel like I'm more equipped to help him. I've been lurking for awhile now and decided it's finally time to make myself known. :)

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2006, 7:32 pm

Welcome to the Wrong Planet.

You seem to be very observant mother hope all goes well for You and Your Son.

tkroach
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Feb 2006, 3:55 pm

Hi! I'm new here as well. My son will be 7 in April. He was diagnosed HFA last month. Like you, I also had suspected for a long time that there was something else going on with him (besides his cerebral palsy.) I don't know why the schools are so quick to dismiss parents. I always had the impression they thought I was a paranoid mom looking for bogies. It is a relief when you finally have someone verify and put a name to what you've seen in your child, but couldn't diagnose yourself.

I did a lot of lurking before I posted, but I'm glad I finally did post because I've found there are a lot very friendly, helpful people here.

I hope your son's testing goes well.

CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2006, 9:09 pm

tkroach wrote:
I don't know why the schools are so quick to dismiss parents. I always had the impression they thought I was a paranoid mom looking for bogies. It is a relief when you finally have someone verify and put a name to what you've seen in your child, but couldn't diagnose yourself.

That is so true! We had a meeting at couple of weeks ago at my son's school and I'm so glad I brought an advocate with me (his therapist) because they were planning on rail roading me and kicking me out the door with my son in tow because he was "too difficult." Thankfully with the advocate (who used to work in Sp Ed before opening her on psychotherapy/play therapy practice) knew the ins and outs of how the system works and basically told them that they legally have to work with him and no we weren't going anywhere. It's better for me if she makes herself out to be the bad guy so that I can be on neutral ground since I have to deal with the school every day. ;)