How the USA is regarded from the rest of the world

Page 23 of 23 [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23

Crazygirl79
Raven
Raven

12 Mar 2013, 3:00 am

Good on you for not caring what others think of America but who are you to say that other countries are irrelevant?? That's just arrogant and ignorant!!

S

Jacoby wrote:
Let me throw this out there before y'all begin, I don't really care what people from irrelevant/small countries in old Europe think of the US. Most Americans besides our beloved president probably feel the same way.

Crazygirl79
Raven
Raven

12 Mar 2013, 3:07 am

Another person running around calling another country irrelevant, no country is irrelevant!! Oh and by the way I doubt those from Andorra would think their country is irrelevant and believe it or not some of them may think America's irrelevant too...either way it's ignorant and arrogant like I said on my last post!

I don't have any issues with Americans and have several friends from there however America is just as guilty for calling the European culture bad as the Europeans are for calling the American culture bad just because they don't fit each others idea of what a culture should be.

It's things like describing other countries as irrelevant that causes problems and just as the Europeans have their issues so does America and America has caused it's share of problems too just as anyone else has.

While we don't have to like or agree with the culture of another person or country we need to drop the "I'm better than you" mentality.

S

X_Parasite wrote:
When people say irrelevant/small countries, I don't think France, Germany, etc.. I think Andorra. Does anyone want to argue the relevance of Andorra?

Anyway, I just love how they have no problem calling out our culture as "bad", when it doesn't line up with theirs.

Yes, our culture has problems. We know about them! Surely, European cultures have equivalent problems.

Last edited by Crazygirl79 on 12 Mar 2013, 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2013, 3:07 am

ruveyn wrote:
Like McGattet says to Danno on Hawaii Five Oh : F*ckem Danno!

Was that the hooker sweep episode?

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2013, 4:22 am

Quote:
I thought that I would start a thread about how people from outside the USA look at and evaluate the USA. Please post thoughts, opinions, perceptions, and also articles and videos that are relevant to the topic.
I think your country is too big to have "one" perception about it. It seems for me as impossible as having "an impression" about europeans. So there are lots of different "cultures" in the USA. When its about making jokes about the USA normally its the "Texas-guy" or "Bible Belt guy" that is made fun of. But I think most people outside the USA know, thats its only about doing jokes and not for real. (As comparison: When they are joking about switzerland and germany at "the Simpsons" germans are most of the time fat and eating sausages, chocolate and beer all day while visiting "Octoberfests" all day. ^^) I think you can compare it, so sure these guys exist but its not the average amount of population. Its oly the part you can do the best jokes about. ^^

The thing that I would be afraid of moving to america, is that it seems from the outside, that there is no real democracy. So there is always so much talking about freedom and so on, but from outside it seems as if the land was rooled by gigantic companies that are only trying to earn profit out of the people living in the country. While the people are able to vote for the republics or democrats, who have both no real power and are both toys of the companies. So I have read about how the companies like "General ..." and "BASF" were blackmailing the US government during the second worldwar in a way that seems really weird for me. So as example Nazi germany lacked lots of ressources, like gas and oil for their war machinery. So BASF helped them by producing chemical oil...even when the US government already was official at war with Nazi germany. So the US army was fighting german tanks, that was able to move because of an US company that helped the Nazis to produce the needed gas and oil for the tank. O_o But the government couldnt risk out of economical reasons to piss of BASF, so they went on. Or general oil blackmailed the US government to loosen some of the laws regarding oil monopols. So from my oppinion a government, which is the amount of the power and the will of the people of a country, should never be weaker then an normal economical company. It should be that BASF and General ... had to be afraid of the US government, not the opposite? So from the outside it often seems to be the opposite, as if companies would rule the land, exploiting the people and the government, and using the country and its inhabitants as hostages and shield.

But I am also aware, that its always a difference between being dependent on media to know something about a country, or truly living in it. I have visited the USA when I was a child with my family, but I was too small to really learn something about your country. :( The beach was fine, Disney world was boring except for space mountain (Asterix park in france is much cooler, they have a 7 looping scooter! ^^" , and your breakfast buffets is for european style more of an evening meal. If I ever could visit the USA again I would like to ride through the country with a trailer or a motorcycle, to have the opportunity to meet the country and the people personally. :)