Has anyone ever gone on a walk for autism?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

anxiety25
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2009, 2:24 pm

I'm very nervous and excited... apparently it's going to be a huge social event, and today, I'm feeling the anxiety of that. I've been almost shaky all day long, lol.

I have absolutely NO idea what to expect, even though they have sent me a list of all of the things they have and such... it's hard to put it into a perspective from a letter being sent out to everyone automatically, lol.

My mentor is going to be there... I'm excited to meet her actually, as we have been communicating back and forth for quite a while. That may help me a little bit, or it could hurt me more, lol, as far as being comfortable, because it will still be meeting a new person despite our communication back and forth. She helps me figure out things going on with my son, talks about things her daughter is dealing with and all, and is going to help me find resources and such... she is very very nice and has been very understanding and patient with me thus far.

My son and I have been quite a mess though-behavior wise, lol. I'm either so anxious or excited that I can't sit still... it's physically uncomfortable to not be moving at all times, and I'm much more "squealy" than I usually am noise wise, as well as I've been clapping about things a lot. My son has just been... well, I can tell he's excited, but he's almost been just plain mean to his sister constantly. My boyfriend should be thrilled-we're going out to eat in public tonight, lol.

I know there is going to be music, lots of music as it's hosted by a radio station and all... lots of people, lots of kids, lots of movement, etc.

Does anyone have any advice, suggestions, or just experiences they can share about this type of event? Should I bring noise cancelling headphones just in case? Should I bring sunglasses? Do we all need water bottles or do you think that will be provided?

You would think those would be obvious things... but there have been a lot of times I've prepared for the worst bringing those things and found them to just be a pain to have with me, lol, because by the end of it I was so comfortable it didn't matter. I'm curious as to whether or not that is likely in this type of event and all...

Or maybe I'm just too excited and nervous to be using common sense in thinking about it so need someone outside of it to tell me what they have done or what to do, lol.

Anyway, thank you all in advance for any advice you can suggest-this is going to be tomorrow morning at 8 a.m... it's 2:23 p.m. now, and the anxiety just keeps on building. I was almost thinking of going to urgent care or something about the anxiety because I'm nauseous, just to get something to help calm me down as I definitely don't have time to see a psych before tomorrow.

"I enjoyed the meetings, too. It was like having friends." -Luna Lovegood

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2009, 2:30 pm

do u have any nosie cancelling headphones or ipods or mp3 or cd players? i bring my ipod with me, have no problem with the walks, been going for years now, have my ipod, my keybo(rubber keyboard) and phone and am fine. do u have anything that u love or have secuirty with? i know sounds weird but might help to bring that as well. If you have a weighted vest, or anklets might help to? hope u have a good one, i looove walks, and always am so flappy happy at an walk haha.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2009, 2:41 pm

Is this walk for autism speaks?

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

anxiety25
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2009, 2:56 pm

Yes, but this group focuses less on cures than advocacy. I'm sure there are some pro-cure, and that is just fine with me. I'm not donating to their pockets, just walking :P

"I enjoyed the meetings, too. It was like having friends." -Luna Lovegood

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Oct 2009, 3:19 pm

It's always good to have sun glasses. I've only been on one walk and it was for Multiple Sclerosis. It was held in a state park so there was plenty of shade and places to rest if you get tired or overwhelmed. Also, they had stops along the route where people gave you free water and snacks. Don't know if this will be the case with your walk. But since it's for Autism, there will probably be plenty of support along the way.

Also, just a thought, about the anxiety. I have been taking magnesium capsules for several days and noticed an almost immediate reduction in my anxiety level. Actually, what I am taking is called Res-Q Orosine, essential for maintaining healthy cell function. My daughter sent for it after seeing it on an info-mercial. It is especially good for palpitations and irregular heartbeat (my problem) and high blood pressure (my husband's problem). I've even been sleeping much better and waking up refreshed.

Hope you have a great experience. And tell us all about it when you get back.